Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Cozumel/Progresso on a budget

I'm going with 2 other girlfriends and one will just be finishing chemotherapy when we go on our cruise. We are trying to keep it at a minimum, yet give my girlfriend (the one who had Chemo) the time of her life (first cruise). thinking of the private resort in Progresso as there really isn't much else. Have been to corona beach (dead fish, etc along dirty water) but in Cozumel, what do you suggest? Not interested in the shopping thing as an all dayer...but want to give her a good time! Any suggestions?
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I would suggest Paradise Beach. About a $15 cab ride (total) from the pier. A very nice and clean beach with no entrance fee, chairs and umbrellas free, clean restrooms, good food and bar. All they ask is that you buy drinks or food while using their facilities. Plenty of cabs for the return trip.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Passion Island is another good choice. I believe you have to book it on your own, unless you go by power boat.
One thing you need to consider however is that some, people who have just finished chemo are told not to be in the sun much. Please check that she has no medications that would react poorly with sun exposure. I hope you, and more importantly, she has a great time!
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I have not talked with Tom yet.....

but friends that were cruising with us on the Fantasy last week went to Paradise Beach (we did not because I could not get our son with Autism to get off the ship....but that is another story)....

anyway....it is my understanding that Paradise Beach does now charge $2 for a lounge chair for the day. This is a brand new change because to many people were showing up with coolers of drinks....spending all day there and not buying a wristband, food or drinks.

As usual, the inconsiderate make is harder on the rest of us....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
...Have been to corona beach (dead fish, etc along dirty water)....
I have been to Progreso many times and I have seen the beach at Progreso as you describe, but have also seen it a very beautiful blue, smooth and pristine. Depends on weather. It's usually somewhere in between.

BTW-I never go to the beach there at the Corona club--worst part by far. Just walk down the beach for better spots.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Captain

I second the Paradise Beach plan.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

In Progreso take the double decker bus tour around the city, It costs about $2.00 from the market .. around town .. and back to the market. This gives you and idea of what is where, and what you would like to go see. It also gives you a little insight to what the town is really like. Once back at the market walk to the beach, get a 45 minute massage on the beach for about $20.00 to $30.00 .... they ARE willing to bargain. Then walk along the beach until you find the restaurant/bar that you like the most, and park on the beach. The restaurant/bars have beach service with tables, umbrella's, and loungers ... or you can just sit inside. I've only been to Progreso once, but it was one of the most relaxing port days I've had, it is on the Gulf and the water might not be as pretty as in other places on the Carribean but it was really nice.

In Cozumel, Paradise Beach is always a good choice, but so is Chankanaub Park (sp??). Both have easy acess taxi service and both are really great. Chankanaub doesn't have quit as much "beach" but it has so many more things to do and see. They both have web sites, check them out. Have a great cruise

TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I know - she is in full compliance - and so are we. That is something we will def check out!! I hope its ok tho ------ for a first timer, I want her to see the beautiful water from a beach standpoint - even if its relaxing in a hammock!!
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Admiral

good idea!
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Well.......with this darn oil spill, the whole gulf may be one big oil slick and we might not even get off!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Passenger

There is a little place in Cozumel named Nachi Cocom.

Its $49 pp and its ALL YOU CAN EAT, DRINK AND SWIM. Its a lil piece of heaven on earth! I would highly reccommend it to anyone.

Cozumel Beach Break at Nachi Cocom the Perfect Day in Paradise at Nachi Cocom in cozumel

I can post some pics if needed.