Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Default Freedom room 7228

we booked this room for July 25 my son is in a wheelchair good choice?
also is there a balcony?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I think you bet call Carnival or your TA again and see if they can find you a handicapped accessible cabin.

Cabin 7228 is a OS, or what was referred to as a Cat 11 suite. I have had two Cat 11 suties before. It is larger and I would say that it is the size of a cabin and a half of another cabin. The bathroom area has a dressing area with a table, mirror, and opposite that is another closet. The problem is the space is narrow, and I seriously doubt it is wide enough for a wheelchair. The other major problem with the combined dressing room and bathroom is the step up to get into the bathroom, it is perhaps six inches at best. The door that opens to the bathroom may also be an issue if it is configured like the door was on the Splendor suite I had, but if it is like the door configuration on the Conquest there may be enough room for a wheelchair to go up and in IF a small ramp is put in to bridge the difference in height.

The balcony is HUGE, but not extended in width, so it is the standard with of most Carinval cabins. It is 50% longer!!!!! The door is rather heavy, so if they can make it right, the door may be a little hard to open--even I have problem sometimes because it is heavy.

I checked my video I took of the cabin tour to confirm and I think you do need to make a call to arrange a more suitabe cabin OR for Carnival to see if they can make it accessible. Spacewise, it is very spacious.

Good luck!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by derhamm View Post
we booked this room for July 25 my son is in a wheelchair good choice?
also is there a balcony?
Yes and Yes. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...questClass.pdf
The link above is from Carnival's Website the rooms in Blue are Modified Staterooms, Restrooms, Elevators and other Accessible Areas. Stateroom 7228 has no roll-in shower (tub only) on CARNIVAL CONQUEST and CARNIVAL GLORY. Since you are on the CARNIVAL FREEDOM you should be fine. The link above also provides the assessable routes around the ship. As misguidedangel has said 7228 is an Ocean View Suite (OS) you will have a balcony. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Wouldn't it be great to find a site that gives accurate descriptions/pictures of all of the accessible rooms on the various ships? We are booked in 7228 on the Conquest for next February and have been told that it is accessible except that it has a tub. My TA found a picture of the tub area, and it has multiple grab bars. It will be a bit of a challenge, but it IS a spa tub! You should be fine on the Freedom, and should have the roll in shower. Carnival does a pretty good job with accessibility. Thanks to Katlady for the link. For future reference, we went on Celebrity Infinity last fall through the Panama Canal. We were in room 6005. It was enormous (385 sq. ft.) and the bathroom was large enough to turn my scooter around in.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, the deck plans on Carnival.com do not show which rooms are accessible, only that it is a Cat 11 suite (OS).

They are nice and the extra storage space and the extra large balcony are great. The Cat 12 (GS) are equivalent to two cabins and they balconies, well at least on the Splendor, it had two chairs and a chaise lounger......

Note to Carnival: update your plans on your website so people know which cabins are accessible....the brochures probably have better info on deck plans!

You will enjoy the Freedom, I did the six day route...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel View Post
Yes, the deck plans on Carnival.com do not show which rooms are accessible, only that it is a Cat 11 suite (OS).

They are nice and the extra storage space and the extra large balcony are great. The Cat 12 (GS) are equivalent to two cabins and they balconies, well at least on the Splendor, it had two chairs and a chaise lounger......

Note to Carnival: update your plans on your website so people know which cabins are accessible....the brochures probably have better info on deck plans!

You will enjoy the Freedom, I did the six day route...
Hi Misguidedangel Carnival does supply deck plans that list the assessable cabins. However, I agree with you they should be listed on the normal deck plans. The link I posted was for the Conquest class ships and shows on the deck plans all the assessable cabins on the ships.

Special Requirements | Guests With Disabilities |Carnival Cruise Lines
This link has deck plans with assessable cabins for all Carnival ships. You just click the ship you want it will bring up the deck plans with the assessable cabins filled in blue. What I like about these deck plans is they also mark blue dashes to show the routes on the ship that are wheel chair assessable. The PDFs are all ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). ADA is a US Federal law. I think maybe they put this information is the special requirements section of the website so normal cruisers won't book these cabins just to have the large cabin. That would be extremely tacky, like parking in a handicap park space without the placard.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994