Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
First Mate

I can't believe there are so many self important people who insist that they "NEED" to have their phones on. There are exceptions for sure but teenagers texting,they call it talking , hardly, I guess,you have to be kidding me.I can't believe those of us over 50 managed to survive without a phone in our hand or plastered to our head. Get a life, relax ,turn it off and enjoy your vacations.

"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have"
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We ran up about $50 in phone charges in a week but the peace of mind my wife got from speaking with the petsitter was worth the money. It's nice to have the option of making a call if you absolutely have to. I turned the phone back on in the Ft. Lauderdale airport and it rang instantly. It was Mastercard wanting to know if the $1,000 just charged to my account was legitimate. The phone charges paled in comparison with spa charges, tips, gift shop, etc!
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Default Roaming OFF

Per point from Paul
quote" Paul: Thanks for giving this info for people. Not turning Data off is one way you can unknowingly rack up a big bill."

Some good features are:
- TURN OFF the Roaming feature on your phone which forces you to decide if you want to make this call outside your providers coverage area.

- Use a Prepaid plan which means you are limited to the actual amount prepaid to your account.

- Leave your phone at home and buy a SIM card and phone from from the local area.

- Use the ports Internet location

- LEAVE your phone at home as most times it will not work away anyhow or TURN IT OFF and place in your safe.

ps: Nice one Paul, call your wife,, major good male points earned
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Beginner

Default Watch out for Payphones

A few years ago I was in Italy and figured I'd make a couple of quick calls to say Happy Thanksgiving to my kids. I used a credit card in a pay phone near the dock. I reached the answering service for the land lines for both and left a message that went something like "just calling to wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Everything is going well, I hope it is the same with you. See you soon." When the credit card bill arrived, one call was $35 and the other $40.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cell phone charges when ship is docked?

I think that even if you are in a US port such as Key West and you make a cell phone call from the ship you still can incur roaming charges. I was told it picks up the ships satellite, you have to actually make the call off the ship to not incur roaming fees. I have never made a call from the ship and told friends and family I will have my phone off. If there is an emergency they have the number of the cruise line who then can contact me. Wow I feel sorry for the $1,000 texting bill, ouch!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Admiral

I call home when I'm ona cruise. I call every other day and stay on about 2 min. I have to touch base with my hubby and son since I leave them behind. I do see people who sit on the phone and chat like they would at home. As for texting the world would be a better place without it!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Captain

I've never understood why some people talk constantly on the phone!! I don't even like to talk on the phone. I know everyone is different, but I think some people just like to hear their own voices. I have friends I avoid calling because it is almost impossible to get off the phone with them!
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_the_board View Post
And what's up with people who are wandering around the grocery store talking to someone at home? about what to buy? Paper and a pencil/pen has worked for a number of years.
Tell this to my husband. lol I can make him a list, and then he has to call me and question the list. It is very annoying.

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
Its only money.I have a good job and I don't care about the cost.If that is what makes us happy then so be it.
MrPete:

I completely agree with you. If someone wants to use their cell phone on board it makes no difference. It's their money and they can spend it however they want.

The only issue is when people disturb others while using their cell phone or come back and complain that it was so expensive.

If people use their cell phones relatively discreetly I have no problem with it. I'm too busy enjoying myself.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
We ran up about $50 in phone charges in a week but the peace of mind my wife got from speaking with the petsitter was worth the money. It's nice to have the option of making a call if you absolutely have to. I turned the phone back on in the Ft. Lauderdale airport and it rang instantly. It was Mastercard wanting to know if the $1,000 just charged to my account was legitimate. The phone charges paled in comparison with spa charges, tips, gift shop, etc!
Now I like that surprise..
Though your ships bill must have shown that MC charge..
What I do prior to leaving is let the CC company know where I'm traveling but regardless it was good to see they called and at least did not tell the cruise line your card was not valid.

Cheers
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
Tell this to my husband. lol I can make him a list, and then he has to call me and question the list. It is very annoying.
First of all be glad he at least does the shopping for the family.
I do the shopping and make the paper list which is then is added on by my wife as she makes menus. Let me tell you how many woman's cooking magazines from down East call one item one thing while the store in the West calls it another.
So I call my wife from the store to ensure this item will do.

Give me a break, you cannot have it both ways.
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska wasn't extra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyann6 View Post
I think that even if you are in a US port such as Key West and you make a cell phone call from the ship you still can incur roaming charges. I was told it picks up the ships satellite, you have to actually make the call off the ship to not incur roaming fees. I have never made a call from the ship and told friends and family I will have my phone off. If there is an emergency they have the number of the cruise line who then can contact me. Wow I feel sorry for the $1,000 texting bill, ouch!
We left four kids with my mom while we went to Alaska for a week. We called mostly from land but I remember calling at least once from the ship while we were in port. No extra charges from AT&T. Surprising, since they charge me extra to do anything else!

Disclaimer: I only called a few times and it was mostly to check on my mom and make sure the kids hadn't driven her nuts
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
We left four kids with my mom while we went to Alaska for a week. We called mostly from land but I remember calling at least once from the ship while we were in port. No extra charges from AT&T. Surprising, since they charge me extra to do anything else!

Disclaimer: I only called a few times and it was mostly to check on my mom and make sure the kids hadn't driven her nuts
Most Nationwide plans include Alaska and Hawaii. So if you're in port in Juneau or Honolulu you won't incur any additional charges.

I had to call my brother from Mendenhall Glacier. He had always wanted to go there so I had to call and rub it in that I beat him there.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old July 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM
Beginner

When we get on the ship, we always turn off the cell phones and put them in the safe. This next cruise will be the first one with our youngest son since he's had a cell phone, so I'll definitely be confiscating his phone. He has unlimited texting at home, so there's no way I'm letting him hold onto his phone -- even though he's 18.
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom2 View Post
When we get on the ship, we always turn off the cell phones and put them in the safe. This next cruise will be the first one with our youngest son since he's had a cell phone, so I'll definitely be confiscating his phone. He has unlimited texting at home, so there's no way I'm letting him hold onto his phone -- even though he's 18.
If you are paying the bill then change his plan to prepaid for a set limit.
That means his calls will stop automatically.:o
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
Its only money.I have a good job and I don't care about the cost.If that is what makes us happy then so be it.
Hello Mr. Pete. Welcome to Cruisemates!

Good to see you here. Can we look forward to some early morning posts from Mr. Pete?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Beginner

I don't pay $2.49 a minute I pay what my carrier charges. I don't care what other people think of me talking on the phone. Quite frankly it's none of their concern what I pay or who I talk to. Now if I'm bothering them, maybe talking too loud then just say something but what I pay and how much I pay is my concern, I have no idea why anyone else would care.

What is this jealously? BTW $2.49 is about 5 times the price I pay, even less at ports, so not sure where you got that amount. On many cruises the bulk of US or lets say Carribean cruises 95% of people wouldn't even get reception unless they know what to do to talk. Also it depends on where you are, unless south of Florida or north of the US what extra charges??????????????????????????????????????
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Startk View Post
I don't pay $2.49 a minute I pay what my carrier charges. I don't care what other people think of me talking on the phone. Quite frankly it's none of their concern what I pay or who I talk to. Now if I'm bothering them, maybe talking too loud then just say something but what I pay and how much I pay is my concern, I have no idea why anyone else would care.

What is this jealously? BTW $2.49 is about 5 times the price I pay, even less at ports, so not sure where you got that amount. On many cruises the bulk of US or lets say Caribbean cruises 95% of people wouldn't even get reception unless they know what to do to talk. Also it depends on where you are, unless south of Florida or north of the US what extra charges??????????????????????????????????????
Melanie,

I agree that as long as you aren't disturbing someone it's no one's business how much someone uses their cell phone.

The $2.49/minute is the rate for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint. T-Mobile is $4.99/minute.

You can confirm these rates by looking at cell providers web sites.

I have never heard of any plan that allows you to make calls from a cruise ship, while at sea, for 1/5 of the $2.49 charge. If there is then cruise passengers would flock to it.

Take care,
Mike

Old August 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Familiar Face

Oh, I do appreciate him doing the shopping. We both work full time and I can't do everything. But I wish he wouldn't call every time.

Old February 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Hello Mr. Pete. Welcome to Cruisemates!

Good to see you here. Can we look forward to some early morning posts from Mr. Pete?
Unfortunately, no. That's not "me".
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

As far as I know if you call from the ship at sea you are on the ships tariff, a satelite system. We were charged about 1 a minute & .85 for texts.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Default Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
As far as I know if you call from the ship at sea you are on the ships tariff, a satelite system. We were charged about 1 a minute & .85 for texts.
John
As you were using your own mobile then the Ships satelite system let you connect to your own or like provider, thus the rate you had which is about $1.75US a minute.
If you had used the ships cabin phone instead than you would pay about 2 3 x your rate

Rob
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
John
As you were using your own mobile then the Ships satelite system let you connect to your own or like provider, thus the rate you had which is about $1.75US a minute.
If you had used the ships cabin phone instead than you would pay about 2 3 x your rate

Rob
I meant using my own phone, I assumed NOBODY uses the ships phones!!
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I meant using my own phone, I assumed NOBODY uses the ships phones!!
You would be surprised
A lot of the plans from the UK and Europe are much better then some of the US and Canadian ones also a lot of our phones will not work depending on location
tc
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Once on the ship and finished with the cell, it goes into the safe with the battery removed until debarkation day.

Others may spend whatever they wish to spend, knowingly or otherwise, on their cells at sea. As long as I'm not an unwilling participant in their phone conversation. If I am, I ask the cell phone user to go somewhere private to scream their conversation. They seem to realize the greater distances at sea which makes them talk louder. Or maybe its that they are infringing on my cruise vacation that makes it seem like they are talking louder.

I looked up the definition of vacation and cell phones were not a part of that definition!!
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Familiar Face

Read on CC someone got hit with a $4000 bill.

Ouch.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Familiar Face

It amazed me this past week on the liberty, everyone was on their iphones and blackberries. I was more than happy to take all the batteries out of my cell phones and lock them up for the week.

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Familiar Face

We have found that if we are going the Mexico Cruise course we can usually in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and the other ports pick up a wireless connection on our laptop and we call via skype and it's free. Only works if you get your side of the ship facing port or can go upside. Has worked everytime.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Will have to have my wife check on the old At&T bills from our last cruise. I know I did some texting and when we got the bill, she said it was about .50 cents a text. Now keep in mind that was the our Mexico trip. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. I use to never text but now I do it often so avoid the LONG phone calls from some people that have nothing to do.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyann6 View Post
I was standing on the promenade deck of the Imagination (that great view from on top of the bridge) during departure from Key West in November. Called home with my Sprint phone. As long as your phone is set so it doesn't roam, you'll latch onto your carrier's network if you're close enough to a tower. Back in 2009 on the Costa Atlantica, as we were leaving both St Thomas and San Juan (Sprint has a strong "local network" presence on both islands) I called home as well. No additional fees involved. I keep my phone set to home network only no matter where I am tho, so I'm not ever worried about such craziness. It was kind of funny on the Atlantica. I had my phone on me the first day as we were leaving port. I'm sitting at the table in the MDR and one of my best friends calls me to see what my plans are for that night to see if I wanna hangout ... him forgetting that I was leaving on a cruise. "Sorry Josh, but I'm already several miles off the coast of FL, so I won't be able to hangout tonight. But have fun." :-p

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.