Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default Beef aboard Carnival

In the last 2 or 3 years, I'd just about given up on ordering, and receiving a good steak, or cut of beef aboard all Carnival ships, however, our last couple of cruises have proven that something has indeed changed at Carnival. I've found that the steaks, and prime are EXCELLENT now, and I am truly delighted, as I'm a Midwest born, "steak and potatoes" guy! Is it just me, or have you also found that the beef aboard Carnival has gotten much, much better? Perhaps they've changed vendors, or maybe they've started purchasing a better grade of beef? In any case, I'm very happy, and hope the "great, and tender beef" trend continues at Carnival!

"SKY"
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM
First Mate

Jeesh Sky, I thought you had a "beef" :-) about something bad on Carnival. I did notice on the last cruise (Carnival Miracle in March) that my wife and the couple cruising with us said the steaks were very good and exceptional tender. I'm a fish and lamb guy myself but their comments were genuine. Maybe Carnival bought their own ranch???

Need some cruise help?
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
Jeesh Sky, I thought you had a "beef" :-) about something bad on Carnival. Maybe Carnival bought their own ranch???
HA!, Chief, I hadn't thought about that! Well, in any case I got your attention!
When are we going to sail together, so we cal tell sea stories?

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
First Mate

I found out the best steak from carnival is to order the steak rare. I used to order medium not any more. Rare is much more tender, and I don't have to pay an extra $15. Now if we talk about lobster, I want lobster not shrimp. Now I have to order 2 to get 2 small lobsters. Thats life, you can always find a way.
Attached Images
File Type: gif penguin_waiter_with_tray_sm_wht.gif (15.6 KB, 6 views)
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Sky,

We are booked on the Carnival Dream for the 2 Oct cruise to the West Carib. We have been to the ports on the itinerary so this one is all about the Carnival Dream. We have a "Cove" cabin and are looking forward to it. We have two new grandchildren in Virginia now so some of the cruising funds are going to flights back and forth for Grandmother baby fixes. However we are trying for a spring cruise somewhere.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

The Prime Rib and braised short ribs were very good on Carnival. The Filet Mignon I ordered medium was over cooked. However, Filet has no fat and drys out super easy. I don't think it's a good steak to feed that many people. Maybe they should switch to a top sirloin. The Prime Rib was melt in your mouth good. Same thing with the short ribs. Only the filet was off a bit. not horrible just a little over cooked. I agree with Dutchman I need a full sized lobster tail skip the shrimp.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to carribbeantina271

Just reading this is making my mouth water for some Carnival steak!!
Chief Looks like we will be joining you all on Oct 2 aboard the Dream! Just booked her today, though not the cove cabin like I wanted, atleast I will be on the ship
Most Recent
Inspiration 3/8/10
Valor 1/10/10
Valor 10/04/09

Coming up
Dream 10/02/10
Miracle 3/27/11
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Just got back a few days ago from Carnival Fascination and the steak was excellent. I am very picky about my steak and when I had it, I enjoyed it so much, I ordered seconds.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Yep, no doubt about it. The steaks and beef in general has REALLY gotten a lot better in the last 6 months to a year. I'm SO HAPPY about that.

Chief, and Caribbeantina I sure wish the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I could join you on the October cruise, but we've got a family reunion cruise aboard "Legend" already booked for September, and then the "Miracle" in November. I'm afraid that's about all the old budget can stand for this year, but there's always NEXT YEAR! We'll git-r-done then.

"SKY"
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

The beef that DW and I devoured...oops...consumed on the Liberty was yummy and I was pleasantly surprised that it was cooked just right every time...medium/medium rare. :-D
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Usually, its RCI getting the bad rap with their ranch steak! Don;t theink I remember any beef issues last cruise on the Liberty.. I am also thinking of the Dream, but probably the 10/9 sailings..I am just not a big fan of the western itin, otherwise I would join you all

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Glad to hear about the 'improvements' - in my experience it's been hit or miss with the beef - I also agree that ordering it more 'rare' than your usual way may ensure you get what you prefer!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Usually, its RCI getting the bad rap with their ranch steak! Don;t theink I remember any beef issues last cruise on the Liberty.. I am also thinking of the Dream, but probably the 10/9 sailings..I am just not a big fan of the western itin, otherwise I would join you all
Trip you could join me on the Valor next spring. The more the merrier!.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Admiral

I'll be sure to order steak at least once on the Elation this coming July. Ditto the prime rib. I'll report back on my rating.

I am a medium rare beef and lamb person. I want to see some blood, but not a pool of it. ;-) But anything cooked beyond that is just not as tasty to me. People who like well done beef need a 12-step program in my view.

I've always been happy with Carnival's prime rib, but found the steaks to vary in quality. Hopefully I'll be thrilled silly come July 10th!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Trip you could join me on the Valor next spring. The more the merrier!.

Laura
Hey Laura, don't totally give up on me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) yet. Still trying to make things work, so we may join you yet. I've got it on the calendar, and will let you know.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Default BEEF on the boat

Well i like ALL meat well done, even prime rib.When we go on GLORY in oct from norfolk i will still oreder it well done. i can but up with just past pink but some people knock offthe fly and have it pink. I have been in public health tooo long and see wat improperly cooked meat can do.
ohyeah i wuill eat the ice cream frozen
boB
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam View Post
Well i like ALL meat well done, even prime rib. I have been in public health tooo long and see wat improperly cooked meat can do.
The cooking isn't so much the problem as is how the meat is handled prior to cooking. Meat density is a big factor, thus solid cuts such as a steak will have microbes on the surface but not internally. Ground meat is another story.

But, whatever you like. As Briscoe Darling said: "more power to ya."
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Cool Good Beef on Carnival NOW!!!

Beef very good on Carnival now was not good 5-6 years ago, in fact I think all the food has improved on the Carnival. I switched back to Carnival from RCCL because of the itinerary and found the food was great.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a big beef eater (among other things). On my last cruise, I ordered beef every single night (7 nights), whether it was the strip, chateaubriand, beef wellington, etc. It was almost always cooked to order. I am pretty happy with how they cook it given the circumstances and mass quantities.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know that last April Carnival began using J&B Foods of Albertville, Minnesota as their meat supplier.

I didn't know this until a couple of weeks ago when my nephew and I were talking. He is a Senior Butcher for the company and was telling me that it increased their production over 30%.

It's a good company and they do a good job with meat.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Admiral

It was a wise decision from Carnival to use this company. Because aside from the filet my steaks were yummy. The filet was a cooking issue; not a beef supplier issue. Next time I will either skip the filet or order it rare.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

.......my 2˘ from a rancher in the meat production business.

I have found the quality of meat on Carnival cruises to always be a bit different. Even the same order from the same supplier can vary in the quality of cut of beef. Sometimes it's all great, sometimes OK, sometimes not so much.

I happened to go on the Conquest twice within a few months with a neighbor who is also a Texas rancher. On the first cruise the meat was so so, no big deal. On the second cruise, on the first night we ordered steak and it was outstanding. So good that we ordered it every night of the cruise. It continued to be great each night. Amazing. Haven't had it that good since. Of course this was before they started serving this new flat iron steak.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

My boyfriend raved about the steaks he had on our last cruise. We ate in the main dining room. I asked him if he wanted to go to the steak house and he said... nope this is perfect.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Where's the beef?

I am glad to read the comments that the meat dishes are good if not improved. Sailed Conquest, Fantasy and Ecstasy in the last 18 months a few times. Ordered Prime Rib on Conquest. . .ah, it was Prime Chuck. Sent it back and got a New York. . .it was good. On Fantasy and Ecstasy last year, I was pleased with the meats I was served in MDR. Cheers Carnival. . .
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
RCCL Voyager OTS Jan 10, 2010
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
RCCL Voyager OTS 02/01/09
RCCL 15 Days Voyager OTS TA 11/29/08
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
RCL Rhapsody of Sea 10/2002
NCL Norwegian Sea 10/2000
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

.......my 2˘ from a rancher in the meat production business.

I have found the quality of meat on Carnival cruises to always be a bit different. Even the same order from the same supplier can vary in the quality of cut of beef. Sometimes it's all great, sometimes OK, sometimes not so much.

I happened to go on the Conquest twice within a few months with a neighbor who is also a Texas rancher. On the first cruise the meat was so so, no big deal. On the second cruise, on the first night we ordered steak and it was outstanding. So good that we ordered it every night of the cruise. It continued to be great each night. Amazing. Haven't had it that good since. Of course this was before they started serving this new flat iron steak.
I have a question for you. What is your favorite cut of inexpensive beef? I love beef and my favorite cut is ribeye. However, it gets a bit pricy. What do you think of Flat Iron steak, I have seen it around, but I haven't tried it. Thanks for you help.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I have a question for you. What is your favorite cut of inexpensive beef? I love beef and my favorite cut is ribeye. However, it gets a bit pricy. What do you think of Flat Iron steak, I have seen it around, but I haven't tried it. Thanks for you help.
I'm not a fan of the Flat Iron steak. It's a rather new cut, but to me it's a shoulder roast. You have to know what your doing to cut a FI as there is a lot of gristle. I think the basic strip steak (what Carnival used to have on the everyday menu) is much better than the Flat Iron.

Your right about the rib eye. It's really the best-IMHO. A nice Porterhouse is good, but I've cooked a lot of rib eyes for functions on the ranch and everyone raves about them. Fresh cut beef is the secret. I can look out my window at any given time and see 20-30 head of Angus beef on the hoof. The old Texas Longhorn has really made a big comeback too. Lot's of them around now, and they are great to watch. As hot as it's been it's really been a very good year for grass. If you can find Texas beef it should be very good this year.

I really don't mess with inexpensive cuts as it's so easy to get a prime cut here. The flank is used in a lot of Mexican dishes and fijitas, but I don't go below a basic strip. The best meat values are the roasts. Usually cheap and with slow cookers you can have a very nice simple meat dish. A good Sunday Pot Roast is ideal and inexpensive.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Passenger

Denny's serves the best steaks!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Admiral

I agree with all that's been said about cuts of meat, handling etc. But I want to add another important factor "The Chef" they can make or break a meal - I've had what should have been a geat cut of meat ruined because the Chef didn't know how to properly prepare it.