CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Has anyone sailed out of Charleston yet? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/373969-has-anyone-sailed-out-charleston-yet.html)

puppydogeyessc May 21st, 2010 03:36 PM

Has anyone sailed out of Charleston yet?

My date is fast approaching - and I was just curious how the parking and ease of getting to the port.....will be for my family.

8-)

Anyone else leaving on the Fantasy for June 11??

rjalexie May 21st, 2010 07:08 PM

We're scheduled in October, I went to the website for the port of charleston and found that you can print out a map of the traffic flow all the way to the cruise terminal. Check it out it might help you. Rick

Luanne Russo May 26th, 2010 03:49 PM

I am in Charleston now on business, so if there are any questions, please let me know.

We were at the port the other day, and traffic was a mess. Be sure to leave plenty of time, so that if traffic is jammed up, you will not miss anything.

Luanne

nlb1050 May 26th, 2010 05:56 PM

I have read elsewhere that parking at the port is not that easy. You take a shuttle from the parking lot, drop luggage at one place then go on to another for boarding.

We don't cruise from there till next year but I am already looking at hotels where we can stay the night before, leave the car and have a shuttle to and from the port.

Though I have also read that they are trying to get better parking etc.

Will be waiting to hear a report from you after your cruise.

Have fun!

rjalexie May 26th, 2010 10:35 PM

Nancy, I am also looking for hotels with a shuttle. We cruise from there in October this year. If you find something please let me know and I'll do the same..

lhp May 27th, 2010 02:28 PM

One word of caution...

John Heald is currently the Cruise Director and he wrote on his Blog that Charleston has not purchased the 3 million dollar gangplank yet...so

passengers have to board on Deck 3 (crew deck) ....instead of boarding on Deck 7 into the Atrium. (as is usually the case)

This is causing some delays in boarding...people wait for the elevator since they usually have carry ons etc....

grammy sammy June 6th, 2010 07:34 PM

How will that work for a person in a w/c? I'm independent but need help with medical equipment that cN NOT BE CHECKED And has to follow me?? Thanks

puppydogeyessc June 7th, 2010 09:32 AM

Interesting.... when we cruised the Fascination last year - we had to enter on the crew deck... I thought that was the norm. ;-) Guess I know better now...

Thanks for the tips everyone...

Here is a pretty good link to hotels that does the cruise and snooze. I am pretty familar with Charleston ( just not the port) --- if you want my opinion on the hotels - feel free to ask.

Charleston Cruises 2010 & Charleston Cruise Deals For Port of Charleston Cruises | Charleston Area CVB

4 more day!!! Woo hoo!

4Cruise4Fun June 7th, 2010 09:49 AM

We sailed out of Charleston on May 23rd. We arrived at the port about 11:30. We drove up and had our documents checked by security, then on to pay for parking and drop off our bags. We were directed to the parking area, which is a row of warehouses just across from the ship. It is not far away from the ship, but you are not allowed to walk to/from the parking area. You must take a shuttle. The shuttle arrived quickly and dropped us right at the door to enter for the security checkpoint. We went through security, then to check-in, (we passed on the pre-cruise picture), then up the stairs to ding your card and have your picture taken by security, then down a ramp and onto the ship on Level 3. There was an elevator to get anyone who was unable to use the stairs up to the area where you ding in your sail & sign card. On board the ship there were employees running the elevators, and they would only allow you to go to the Lido deck, since you aren't supposed to go to your rooms until 1:30. I think we were on board about noon, so the process went pretty fast.

We did the self assist debark. We were taken down the elevator by employees, dinged our card for the last time, then off the ship and through customs in the building where we checked in. From there we got on the shuttle and it carried us back to the parking area.

I liked going out of Charleston and hope to do so again soon. I thought the process went as smooth as at any other terminal.

Happy Cruising!:)

puppydogeyessc June 7th, 2010 02:14 PM

Thanks 4FUN!!

Btw - did you need cash for the parking or did they take debit - credit?

big apple June 7th, 2010 07:05 PM

Have sailed out of Chas.4 times on 3 different lines and each one has not been very smooth compared to other terminals and Chas knows they have a problem and i am sure they will improve. The short shuttle from the parking garage is an absolute joke as you will wait for a long period for your short ride which could easily be walked.The same at the end of your cruise as the shuttles line up and only 2 porters at the garage to unload which is absurd.The cost is now $15 per day and is covered.Your best bet is to stay the nite before at one of the local motels who offer free shuttle service and free parking during the week your are gone.Charleston is a great city to visit and you would do yourself a favor by adding a couple of days either at the beginning of your cruise.Eventually Chas will have addressed the minor issues of boarding and this will be a great port due to its location and not having the long trip to Fla.

4Cruise4Fun June 7th, 2010 11:58 PM

You can use cash or credit for parking. Have a great cruise! :)

vacpct June 14th, 2010 05:17 PM

Good Info for me as well since we are leaving out of Charleston Oct this year!! :cool:

Scraphappysc10 September 29th, 2010 08:22 PM

Since I am driving alone to Charleston in two weeks, after reading some posts, I am not sure which area I should park. I am trying to find an easier solution for myself.

Snoozeman September 29th, 2010 10:14 PM

Doesn't sound like the norm to me. Sounds like a pain.

CarolinaGirl October 6th, 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjalexie (Post 1294087)
Nancy, I am also looking for hotels with a shuttle. We cruise from there in October this year. If you find something please let me know and I'll do the same..

I found the Hampton Inn, Fernwood Drive in North Charleston. It has a Couple's cruise package with a shuttle and free parking. We booked for November.

nlb1050 October 6th, 2010 12:45 PM

CarolinaGirl, let us know how you like the Hampton and the service.

thanks

Scraphappysc10 October 6th, 2010 06:53 PM

Thanks for the information! My pkg didn't include a hotel and free shuttle.