Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Oil spill-Triumph departure delayed to 9:00 p.m.

Someone asked a few days ago so when I heard this, thought I should post. It seems that Triumph has to delay it's departure until 9:00 tonight, because it takes about 8 hours to reach the mouth of the Mississippi and they are not allowing ships to navigate the oil in the dark.

If that doesn't make them late to any ports I have no issue with it. If it is out of kilter, I likely won't be too thrilled when we sail in two weeks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Your kidding! That sucks! I don't cruise on her again until October - and I have a feeling it will be cancelled.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
Admiral

Triumph did delay - will we ever know the real reason?

Please read the posted port notice:
http://www.portno.com/pdfs/headline2.pdf

Long before October the leak will be sealed. Are you serious? It already has been reduced and may be sealed within days and certainly will be within a couple of months.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Triumph did delay - will we ever know the real reason?

Please read the posted port notice:
http://www.portno.com/pdfs/headline2.pdf

A day or two old, but no restrictions.

Long before October the leak will be sealed. It already has been reduced and may be sealed within days and certainly will be within a couple of months.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
Admiral

My understanding is that the passenger's who boarded yesterday were told it was because they were not allowed to navigate the spill area during the darkness and could only do so during the daylight hours.

What no one knows is who or what entity imposed that restriction. Perhaps the Captain or Carnival itself. It may also be a restriction of the ports they are going to, where they cannot dock if they have oil on their hull. Who knows?

I started thinking about it and really I doubt a 5 hour delay will mean much to our upcoming cruise on June 5. Since there are 2 full sea days before we'll arrive in Belize, I would think there should be plenty of time.

Cheryl I would not worry too much about a trip so far out in October. If they don't have this menace plugged by then, a cruise will be the least of everyone's worries. At the point that Carnival's schedule is consistently or substantially impacted by these conditions, they would move the Triumph to a different port and make appropriate changes. Lord knows we love New Orleans and want ships sailing from there year round, so let's pray they can stop that oil flow and get this mess cleaned up. I fear for the Gulf Coast and hope that BP can get this oil stopped before it does more damage. My advice is, do what you would normally do, buy trip insurance, book hotels and flights with generous change/cancellation policies and just keep a watchful eye on it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Admiral

We have a B2B booked for October.....and I don't think we will have any issues.

The Mississippi River is to vital an import/export commodity for it to be closed....and that would be the only way the Triumph would not sail.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
First Mate

I'm sailing on the Triumph in September and I hope it leaves from NO. I remember years ago I was booked on the Conquest that was scheduled to leave from NO, but was repositioned to TX because of Hurricane Katrina.

It just leaves you to wonder how much of a whack can the people of the gulf take? First Katrina, now this? I feel sick just thinking about all the damage being done and people that are being financially impacted, if not ruined, again!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Long before October the leak will be sealed. It already has been reduced and may be sealed within days and certainly will be within a couple of months.

Are you holding your breath? I'm not! Please consider that, even when they stop the leak, there will still be a HUGE amount of oil floating around to deal with. I heard a report recently that said there are still problems from the Valdes spill. How many years ago was that?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
First Mate

Even if the leak is stoped tomorrow, the impact it will have will be long lasting - they have already closed some beach resorts in the lower Parishes...not to mention fishing. People are loosing money everyday.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclinns04 View Post

Are you holding your breath? I'm not! Please consider that, even when they stop the leak, there will still be a HUGE amount of oil floating around to deal with. I heard a report recently that said there are still problems from the Valdes spill. How many years ago was that?
I stand by my statement. Most of the oil is neither on the surface nor the bottom and not where there is much life, anyway. The water in the Gulf is a lot warmer than the water in Alaska and the oil will break down faster.

The oil that makes it to the wetlands will be a problem for a while

Yes, it is a catastrophe, but nothing like what some people are making it out to be.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
Even if the leak is stoped tomorrow, the impact it will have will be long lasting - they have already closed some beach resorts in the lower Parishes...not to mention fishing. People are loosing money everyday.
Yes, some beaches may be closed, but more beaches are open than are closed. Yes, some people are losing money everyday - some of those are losing money because of untrue rumors scaring their business away.

Yes, some areas are closed to fishing - but they have opened some oyster beds that were previously closed.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Zydecocruiser,

I have to agree with you. The media is having a field day with it. I have seen the same brown pelican for days now on the news. Just like the Swine Flu. You would have thought the entire population of the US as well as the world was dying. I feel for those folks that are taking the direct brunt right now. The fisherman, the coastal communities that rely on tourism, the shrimpers, etc. Their economy will suffer. However, I think this problem will go away and in time fade into the past. Just my humble opinion.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Familiar Face

Some things are true and some things are probably not true. I live in South Louisiana and happen to work for an oil company. (Not BP) I do have to say that most of my immediate family and plenty of other relatives works as commercial fishermen in the area known as the inside waters of the State of Louisiana. The thing about working the inside areas is you have to follow the rules of fishing seasons that are set by the state. Shrimping in the inside waters normally runs from the 1st week in May to the middle of June. Then again opens in the 1st week of August to around December 1st. Being someone whos actually done this right out of high school you have to make enough money in the 1st season to last until August. Then make enough in the 2nd season to get you through the winter until next May. These fishermen make there money in shorts periods of time. If you take one of those times away it is devastating to them. It being said it could take years for the areas to be fishable again. This means lots of people will suffer in ways unamaginable. I understand that BP is trying to help most of them out, but at a small monthly basis according to when they narmally work. This will not cover what actually needs to be made for one month, since one month might have to over 3 to 4 months. Praying for everyone affected by this catastrophe. Yes it is a catastrophe in more ways than one.