Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Default Cozumel beach - Blech!

Our family visited Paradise Beach in Cozumel via the Carnival Destiny May 13-17. We chose Paradise Beach becasue we had been there before and the water was beautiful. Our two adult children and their spouses vacationed with us - all first time cruisers. We raved about the clear, blue water and beautiful beach. When we arrived, we were met at the entry and sold beach chairs, wrist bands for the water toys and snorkel gear. When we walked past the entry and towards the water we where shocked. The ocean looked like a lake. A dirty lake, filled with all kinds of black crud. We walked for a distance up and down the shoreline, looking for better conditions, but it was the same. People were complaining about not being able to snorkle and swimming was even kind of creepy. When we asked one of our servers what the problem was, he said that it's like this for about two months every year. Another server blamed it on Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Our kids have never seen an ocean and they were looking forward to the crystal-clear water we told them about. We were all very disappointed, but once we had already paid for the taxi to get there and all the extra charges for the chairs, water toys, etc. we had invested too much money to go somewhere else. Who knows if the beaches were any better elsewhere, anyway? Back at the ship dock - the water was beautiful, but you couldn't swim there. Does anyone know what was wrong or how long it's been like this? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Probably no help, but some years back in Tobago they built a ''groyne'' out into the sea to help prevent erosion , this caused the waters at the beach (Pigeon Point) to get yukky.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
First Mate

That's so strange - I was in Cozumel that week (not sure which day) while I was on my cruise on the Emerald Princess, and I met a lady from Canada who took that excursion with her adult daughter and they both raved about the beach and how beautiful it was.

I wonder if its is some sort of weird tide?
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Admiral

We go to Cozumel as many as 5 times a year (usually to Paradise Beach) ...

only one time was the water really murky. A "Norte" had just blown through and when that happens .... it stirs up all the sediment.

Folks don't realize how strong the winds can get there. And since the West side of the island faces the mainland (not open seas) .... you are swimming in more of a "channel" than open water.

When we were there last year, the Legend was literally blown into an RCCL ship as it was leaving. That huge iceberg at Paradise Beach was yanked from its moorings and blown up on the beach. It yanked one of the large trampolines and blew it into the parking lot.

Now the EAST side has huge beautiful waves and soft beautiful sand, but the current and rip tides make it to dangerous to swim in. But that is because it faces open waters.....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Admiral

We had the same experience at Paradise Beach on one of our cruises and it was also during the month of May. The water was black and filthy and there was no avoiding whatever was in the water. We never even put a toe in the water and like you, had paid dearly for our family group. We asked some of the wait staff what the problem was and they did not have an answer. They figured we were unwilling captives and kept pushing the alcoholic drinks and food which we did not order...stayed for a short period of time then took a taxi back to the dock. If we had known the condition of the water, we would never have gone there. Checked Paradise Beach off my list forever, there is no way I'll ever go back there.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It seems to me that the ship should be able to get reports as to the beach conditions for this particular beach, since it happens so often, and advise against this beach when there are existing conditions, and, sell another excursion...Did any of you complain or just let the excursion desk know of the bad conditions?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I absolutly love the water in Cozumel, I would of been so disappointed, I hope you did let the excursion desk know how unhappy you were with the tour....

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately, unless you go over to the East side....

the West side resorts will have the same water since they literally run together.

You can put one foot in CarlosNCharlies and one foot in San Francisco Beach and then put one foot in SFB and Paradise Beach.

Playa Mia and Mr. Sanchos and Nachi are just down the beach....

Now if you go all the way to the Southern tip....it might be a different story because the open ocean has the wave action to help clear it up.

Carnival's beach break is at Playa Mia. Paradise Beach is one of the independent beach resorts like Mr Sanchos.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Familiar Face

we were at Paradise beach (liberty may 8th) and found the same thing. very gross. last time there water was beautiful. also this time we started out at san francisco beach (next to paradise beach) and they wanted $40. a person to use the beach. are they insane?
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Familiar Face

What is the water like in March? I was thinking of trying this beach out, but maybe not if it is gross.
Carnival 2012 hmmmm not sure yet!

Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Passenger

We were just at Nachi Cocom on the West side on April 20th this year. And we had wonderful water, clear and clean. A few bugs on the beach early in the morning but gone after a few hours.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Amazing looking beach, thanks for the pics.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Passenger

So very welcome. Im like a Nachi cheerleader. lol its just a wonderful relaxing place. One where you dont wanna tell to many people cause you dont want the secret out.

I have tons of pics, so if you guys want some more I can always dig some up!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
So very welcome. Im like a Nachi cheerleader. lol its just a wonderful relaxing place. One where you dont wanna tell to many people cause you dont want the secret out.

I have tons of pics, so if you guys want some more I can always dig some up!

I wish we could give them a try...but with 2 "teenagers" it would be $200.00...and there is no way I can eat/drink that much.

If I did....everyone else would be doing ----->

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default Here is a map..they are all in walking distance of each other.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
We were just at Nachi Cocom on the West side on April 20th this year. And we had wonderful water, clear and clean. A few bugs on the beach early in the morning but gone after a few hours.

Thanks for the pics of Nachi, will be there in three more weeks!!!

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I wish we could give them a try...but with 2 "teenagers" it would be $200.00...and there is no way I can eat/drink that much.

If I did....everyone else would be doing ----->

lol lol so understood.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Heres r some more. Just cause I happen to be in my photobucket. lol

Old June 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Going to be there for the first time on June 21st. Anything special that you recommend to eat/drink? Did you happen to rent a jet ski there? My husband and son want to do that.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed's Mom View Post
Going to be there for the first time on June 21st. Anything special that you recommend to eat/drink? Did you happen to rent a jet ski there? My husband and son want to do that.

We did not do the parasailing or the jet ski's but the people next to us did on our last trip there, and they said it was great and had alot fun.

I can tell you that anything you order is gonna be great. We have had everything from chicken enchiladas to the tacos and never had a complaint.

They keep the drinks coming so we had the "noah's ark" way...."2 of everything please!!" I did enjoy the Daquris and lots of Corona. They even got me 2 beers to go for the cab ride!