Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Captain

Default Oil slick in Florida?

It appears the massive spill is making a run toward the western side of Florida and then eventually the Atlantic side. I wonder how that might affect the cruise business as ships dont want to get mucked up in port and will cause serious mechanical damage. While ships can change port stops its real hard to change homeports especially if most of Florida is affected. Although its too soon to really predict I would think the lines are discussing options at this moment. What does everybody think?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
First Mate

As damaging this is to a lot of wildafe and the fishing industry, I am becoming very frustrated with the circus the media is making of all this. I got tired of seeing the same oil soaked pelican on several different newscasts last week with the media touting it as happening everyday. I will be very surprised if it does all the damage that they are touting. And now I read that the cleanup crews are complaining of flu like symptoms. Guess everyone is out to make a buck on this. Just wish we could get the straight skinny from someone. No flames now. Just my humble cynical opinion.

Need some cruise help?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its just a shame that it could not be contained and or stopped. It does appear that it will hit Florida and I'm sure it will impact the tourist industry down there, not good.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
As damaging this is to a lot of wildafe and the fishing industry, I am becoming very frustrated with the circus the media is making of all this. I got tired of seeing the same oil soaked pelican on several different newscasts last week with the media touting it as happening everyday. I will be very surprised if it does all the damage that they are touting. And now I read that the cleanup crews are complaining of flu like symptoms. Guess everyone is out to make a buck on this. Just wish we could get the straight skinny from someone. No flames now. Just my humble cynical opinion.
I think the same way Master Chief. Alot of wild statements from people that don't have a clue whats going to happen.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I think you hit the nail right on the head--- a lot of people haven't a clue as to what's going on and some of those seem to be the heads at BP and too, our own Gov. is caught with it's pants down as usual and hasn't a clue as to what to do, when or how--so yes, you're completely right.

I would think that at 1 mile below the surface of the water it would indeed be hard to do a lot of complicated work with robot like devices but surely there should have and could have been some planning toward the day when something like this just might happen , especially when you're drilling this far under water.
And too, I think B.P. should have to reveal exactly what happened and as usual when a catastrophe like this does occur, it can be traced back somewhere along the trail to someone, somewhere not doing their job properly. This should be fully investigated and the person or persons responsible made public.
As to harming the environment, there's little doubt that this will harm the fishing, wildlife and etc. for years to come. How can a slimy scum of oil not affect the environment? As to making it's way to Fla., I'm surprised it's not already there. Once it gets into the currents that will eventually carry it through the keys and into the gulf stream, there's no telling where all it will end up. Better hope we don't have a hurricane in the Gulf this summer--if so, there'll be people several states away from the gulf with oily residue on their homes, cars, etc.
This mess can't but help injure the environment.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Familiar Face

We sail out of Ft Lauderdale in 4 weeks.
We sail straight to Cozumel.
I don't know if we will be seeing oil slicks.
The news is very sad.
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M n O View Post
We sail out of Ft Lauderdale in 4 weeks.
We sail straight to Cozumel.
I don't know if we will be seeing oil slicks.
The news is very sad.
We sail out of Miami in August. I am watching this devastation closely.
Ecstasy - 2013
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

Yes we also think that this is sick. So if "BP" can't seam to do the job, why can't the U.S. Navy take care of this problem. If the U.S. Navy can steal a cripled Russian sub, (and other sunken subs / ships), from the bottom of the worlds Oceans. Then they should be able to plug a simple pipe. Also get Bob Ballard to help. He did locate the "Titanic", along with other lost ships.
Our U.S. Navy has many talents, that someone is not using.
Dave, U.S.N. (Ret)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub1.jpg (61.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RecoveryLG.jpg (85.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg bal0-012.jpg (26.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg profile_top_ballard.jpg (26.8 KB, 1 views)

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Passenger

We sail out of Miami in two weeks on our first cruise. While my heart goes out to the people that live down there and all the animals, I sure hope that our first ever cruise experience isn't affected.