Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Passenger

Default Early Check-in Long Beach

We're sailing on Splendor leaving June 13th...is there still early check-in on Queen Mary? I read an old post stating that it's been cancelled. What is the procedure? We are surprising my dad for his 60th and trying to arrive well before my parents do...

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by runroccorun View Post
We're sailing on Splendor leaving June 13th...is there still early check-in on Queen Mary? I read an old post stating that it's been cancelled. What is the procedure? We are surprising my dad for his 60th and trying to arrive well before my parents do...

Thanks for your help!
I just came back from a May 2 cruise on the Carnival Splendor. They do still have early check in from 9 to 11, it is no longer at the Queen Mary hotel. It is at an outdoor kiosk in front of the Carnival Terminal. We checked in at 9:45 AM and there was no line at all. However, we didn't board the ship until 1:30 PM so we were sitting around for a while.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to REALgetaway

if we arrive around noon on boarding day.. do you think there will be long lines? we are flying in that morning and that's about the earliest we can be there for checking in.

what do you think will be the busiest time for checking in will be typically?
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I sailed on Carnival Pride from Long Beach a few years ago I found it to be the worst place to check in. We stayed on the QM the night before (that is it's own horror story) In the morning we walked over with our luggage to check in. We stood in line to be told we had to go across the street to the parking garage to check our luggage in. No porters to take it. So we went over to the garage,stood in line and finally of rid of the luggage. We went back across and we were directed to a room inside QM. You guessed it another line we checked in then had to go stand in another line to open our on board accounts. Finally we were directed ouside to line up in several different lines and stand there and stand there and stand there. Finally the doors opened and they took the platinum people inside. You guessed it we stood there some more. We stood there when it was raining. We were not invited inside. The doors opened again and another group went in and again we stood. This went on until all people were finally inside but we were in lines again. There was no by passing the photo opportunity. You had to step onto the set stop and smile and go on your way. one by one the pictures were taken and we waited. Eventually we made it to the gangway. But as we walked up towards the ship there was another line we had to stand in before they started scanning our cards and letting us in. Once on board everything was great. It was a wonderful cruise as always.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Passenger

wow Laura, that sounds terrible. I suspect that these multiple long lines are not the norm when it comes to boarding a cruise ship?
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Admiral

REALgetaway Carnvial did call us the night before and tell us check in was at 2PM. That is probably the worst time to check in. I noticed it started getting crowded around 12:30 to 1PM. I would say get to the terminal as soon as you can. Or board late after the crowds are gone maybe 3PM.

Here is my Embarkation experience of May 2, 2010. Carnival must have stream lined the process since Cruznut was on the Pride. I stayed at the Hilton got a great rate to park. cruise, and shuttle. The Hilton was a bit on the noisy side. In the Morning the shuttle dropped us off at the parking gargage. My hubby drifted off looking for information for early embarkation. As I was standing there a Carnival staff person was talking to a porter. My hubby came back and we got the porter to take our bags. My hubby had found out where early check in was we walked over at about 9:45AM there was no line and 6 tellers. We picked a teller was checked in in 5 mnutes. We found a spot to sit at in Zone 1 and sat around until 1:30PM. Then we stood in line to go through security, stood in another line to get our sail and sign card, and then boarded the sail. That took about a half an hour. Not bad at all. However, had I showed up at 1PM my embarkation would not have been as smooth. The line was really long at the tiime. I prefer to check in early and sit around playing video games then to stand in that long line.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Not usually normal to wait forever in endless lines. This was the only time I ever encountered such a mess. Even Miami was a lot better than this. The best for me was boarding in Port Canaveral We checked in then went to the line We did have to wait a while because the ship was delayed in arriving so they were a bit behind. As soon as the ship was ready we were aboard. Even with having to wait it was less than an hour.
Kat, so glad to hear that improvements have been made. I was thinking that the long flight to LA and the horror show of a hotel and the awful boarding process would make me decide that cruises from there would be out of the question.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Last edited by Cruznut2; June 6th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Admiral

San Diego is the easy to port cruise from. I had heard bad things about the Queen Mary that with the cost made me decide not to stay there. Here is a link to the review I wrote about the Splendor. Carnival Reviews - Cruise Ship reviews by Cruisemates Readers

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Kat, I had read the bad reviews of QM. I never thought it could be as bad as it was. I decided to stay just because I wanted a chance to explore that once lovely ship. I also had an uncle that was transported overseas on her during WWII. He always spoke so fondly of his time aboard the Queen. I never imagined that a hotel could be so filthy. I understand old and dated because they were preserving the original parts of the ship. I assumed that since they were using it as a hotel that it would have housekeeping staff. They had to be the laziest staff ever. Our carpet was so nasty we put the towels on the floor to walk on. I used clorox cleanups to clean the shower so I could use it. I was so anxious to get aboard the Pride so I could take a decent shower in a clean bathroom. From now on I pay attention to the reviews!! I had booked through Hotels.com and they gave me a $50 credit towards my next hotel stay.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies!

Katlady-Do we need to indicate to them that we want to check-in early? Or just show up? How was the line at 11AM? And how was the weather? We're very excited about our cruise!!!
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Passenger

I checked onto the Splendor May 23, a couple weeks ago. We arrived about noon. We waited in line about 15 minutes. The line looked long, but it really moved quickly. We got a boarding zone card and hung around for a little while. I think we were in the lido buffet eating by 1pm.

I will say that about 10 minutes after we got there, the line got really long. So if you can get there about noon or slightly before, that's better. If not, you may just have to wait a little, but hey, you're about to start your vacation, so it can't be too bad.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepea View Post
I checked onto the Splendor May 23, a couple weeks ago. We arrived about noon. We waited in line about 15 minutes. The line looked long, but it really moved quickly. We got a boarding zone card and hung around for a little while. I think we were in the lido buffet eating by 1pm.

I will say that about 10 minutes after we got there, the line got really long. So if you can get there about noon or slightly before, that's better. If not, you may just have to wait a little, but hey, you're about to start your vacation, so it can't be too bad.
This is encouraging to hear.. we will probably be arriving at Long Beach around noon if things go as planned.

I'm sure this has been posted before. but what's the process of embarkation?

first check in line, second line, third line? someone please list the steps.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by runroccorun View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Katlady-Do we need to indicate to them that we want to check-in early? Or just show up? How was the line at 11AM? And how was the weather? We're very excited about our cruise!!!
You don't need to indicate to Carnival early check-in. You just show up and check in. I'm not sure how busy it was at 11AM. I was not sitting near the early check-in. Lovepea cruised more recently than me so I think you will be fine checking in at 11AM. The weather in early May was wonderful mexico was in the 80s and sunny. Los Angeles was a bit cold in the morning but warmed up nicely. Right now Long beach extended forecast is showing highs in the 70s. Puerto Vallarta extended forcast is in the mid 80s perfect beach weather.:-D Here is a picture of Medano beach in Cabo San Lucas you can see how sunny it is. Bring sunscreen.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Passenger

You can show up whenever you would like, as long as it is by 4pm. First thing when you pull up to the parking area, if you are driving there, you park, walk toward the ship and you will run into porters to take your luggage. If you aren't driving, but are being dropped off, you are basically dropped off and porters are right there, again ready to grab your bags to take on board.

From there, you cross a little street into the check in area, which is outside. They had a few signs up for different zone areas and a sign for Check in. Get in the check in line. Have your printed fun pass, your passport, your credit card for your sign and sail account and everyone in your party with you. You show this info to the person, they give you a zone card and your sail and sign cards.

Go hang out in your zone area. We had arrived about noonish and were in zone 7. Someone was going around to each zone telling us, "you will board in about 15 minutes... 5 minutes, you are next... etc".

When the Carnival person says, zone 7, please follow me, you line up and march into the dome building, where you show either your sail and sign and possibly your passport? I can't remember if it was both or one or the other. You then go through the metal detector and your carryon stuff goes through the xray.

You get a group photo taken in a little setting and then go up the escalator. At the top, you are in line to have your picture taken to be linked to your sail and sign card. Once you do this, you are walking on the bridge, on the way to the ship. There's of course another photo being taken.

A few steps away and then you are on board and can go explore. There was music being played on lido, food being served and plenty of Drink of the Days being offered. Rooms were ready about 2pm?

Weather was typical near the beach southern california weather, which is usually chillier than people expect, about 70's and a breeze. By the first sea day, the weather was gorgeous, sunny and warm. By the time we hit the ports, all three days were perfect to me = mid 80's-mid 90's, pretty sunshine, and not overly humid, but June is usually more humid than May. The sun is intense. I used SPF 50 sunblock, reapplied through the day and still got a little sunburn.
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

It has been years since we sailed from there (2006) and I wondered if they ever added any cover in case of rain etc.

(I know...it never rains in Southern California)....

This was the one thing that I thought was odd....no protection from the elements.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Passenger

got a call today from Carnival.. and they said boarding will be from 2pm to 4pm this Sunday when we board Splendor. is that enough time to get everyone on the ship?

Or was that the time they want us to board the ship?

I plan on checking in around noon, then board at 2pm or there abouts. earlier if I can get on the ship.