Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Self-Disembarkation

My DH and I leave on our first Carnival Cruise in 11 days on the Pride out of Baltimore. As we are driving to the port, we will have our car parked at the port garage. Now I have read some strings on the pros/cons of self-disembarking but I'm still left wondering if we should do this. I prefer the thought of being the first off the ship to avoid all the lines and then looking for your luggage amongst everyone else's, but am concerned if we will have problems if we do take our luggage while trying to disembark with everyone else. We only plan to take one suitcase each and we are both able-bodied people to handle each of our suitcases. I know there is an order in which all disembark but are self-disembarkers the first to leave? How do we know our order? Also, as we are parked in the garage, do we walk with our luggage from the port back over to the garage or is there a shuttle? As I recall Carnival's port info, when we arrive at the port, we drop our luggage off first and then park, so it makes me wonder if they shuttle us back to the garage or we have to walk and how far that is. My brain is really starting to overthink the little details the closer we get but I really like to be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
First Mate

Default self disinbark

We have always used it when we can,they embark, early flight people first and then so on. We use it as the little bit of disincombulation that takes effect get you out through with ALLOF YOUR LUGGAGE to customs and immgration and then of to the shuttle if needed puit you bags on and get on and to the area of your car. the last time we did this in orlando we were out in 20 min and onnthe road ina total of 30. We liv in NORFOLK va so we ere home out the door grab a cab and home in 20 min. my opinion is if you can do it and can carry all go for it.
ENJOY
BOb
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We did this in Gavleston, because of the need to get to airport and hr and a half away. We had more luggage then you..1 bag each, with a carryon each.....we were doing ok, till we reached a ramp...we would not do it again....from what you said though, you may be more able bodied than we are

Another thing was the process leading up to getting off the ship was done poorly..we all had to wait in the theater, and it was a mess.

Why not look at it another way..since you are lucky enough to not have to fly home, stay oboard, eat your breakfast leisurely,and stroll off, to the terminal...your luggage by that time will be among the the few left, and you won't have to play Dick Tracy....you will still be home before most of the people you sailed with....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm with Trip, take your time and have a nice breakfast without having to hurry as long as you don't have a plane to catch...I have seen people getting off trying to manage luggage, just didn't look fun. I have enough with a purse and carry-on..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Default self disembark

You know we have never done that of just waiting around maybe we shuld try this in oct since we are at home 20 min away. no rush. WIll do it
thanks for the idea
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Admiral

We're not able to do the self-disemarkation . We're more than happy that many people do it! It makes our disemarkation much easier !

We have to fly (we can't get anywhere from here!) so the people who take their bag's off and get in their cars to drive home are great!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:08 PM
First Mate

Boy - I wish I had the wisdom of Trip's advice on our last cruise! Self-disembarkation was a big mistake (only due to a delay in the ship's clearing customs). I realize this is not always the case.

But .... standing in line for over an hour on the atrium floor, looking up and watching the wiser folks strolling out after a nice MDR breakfast left an indelible impression. Next time I'm sleeping late and gorging myself on Eggs Benedict, thank you very much.

Who wants to leave the ship anyway?
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I do believe the negatives to self-disembarking far out-weigh the positives, so I don't think I'll be trying it....not yet, anyway. I'm might just stay for that leisurely breakfast afterall.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:13 AM
david30101

You can self disenbark any time..Its not just a early thing. Sleep in late, eat, do whatever. then grab your luggage then walk off.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It's actually very simple. We've done it on every cruise we've gone on so far. It's the only way to go if you need to get off early.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Captain

We were on the Conquest & did the "self get-um off", NEVER AGAIN, almost gave me a stroke, our roll bags were going everywhere...
The Splendor was our last cruise, we slept in a bit, went down to the dinning room (not the buffet) for a proper breakfast... (Our carry bags such as my camera gear was packed before we went down to the dinning room).... Our main luggage was already taken the last night...
We left everything (mics. bags & camera gear) in the cabin while eating breakfast...
Stayed in the cabin a bit then took gear up to the Lido deck to hang around & munch on the food that was left.... Nice time to talk to your fellow passengers before leaving the ship...
We ALWAYS book a late evening flight so we have plenty of time to get to the airport & relax...
Hope this helps...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Admiral

Wheels !! a great invention....and when someone discovered wheels will go on luggage, truly a wonderful day that was.
So yes, I most definitely do my own debarkation and leave the ship when they kick me off. .
What I do is take their debarkation number and leave only when it is called. Early on they will announce self debarkation folks to leave...so I ignore it. Later I debark with the folks who sat the bags in the hallway.
Like I said...since I possess wheels on that luggage, I can debark only after a nice relaxing breakfast.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

I love asking for opinions. You get so much insight into things. Well, for my first cruise, I opted for the assisted disembark as we had a suite and we were placed in zone 1, so I was thinking it wouldn't be a long wait till we were called. I was wrong. We had to be out of our rooms by 9AM so after breakfast we went to our designated wait area, the Starry Night Lounge. We were there just over an hour and a half before zone 1 was called. All before this, the self-disembark passengers were called. There were 27/28 zones for disembarking so I can't imagine how long the passengers in the last zone had to wait. Anyway, with my experience, I believe I will go with the self-disembark next time. I do not see any of the ramps being an issue but I do agree that for those passengers with 2 or more large bags they are better off with assisted disembark.
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back in June and we didn't do the Self-Disembarkation, but ALOT of people did. We were VIP so we went first, but my sister we the last called and she said they were off about an hour behind us. I think so many people think its faster to self-disembark that it is actually taking longer because there are so many people trying it. I agree with just taking your time because if you try to self-disembark, you might be standing in lines instead of in the dining room sipping coffee

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Triumph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Dream 2014
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Captain

We have had VIP status for quite a while and get the #1 luggage tags. The VIP status was great before they started the self-assist procedure. Now, it seems that almost everyone on board is trying to self-assist, and VIP or Platinum status still has to wait until they are done. That line is long and slow and gets held up by customs etc. A lot of the self-assist passengers are carrying over-sized bags and most have 2 or more bags each, plus liquor boxes, shoulder bags etc. The line snakes up and down and around hall-ways and then usually just comes to a complete stop.

If I am not trying to make a flight, from now on I too will just sleep a little longer and have a nice leisurely breakfast. I plan on making my cruise last as long as possible and I am not going to get in a big rush to shorten my time on board.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Platinum members are supposed to have priority disembarkation on Carnival as one of the perks.
The last 2-3 times we sailed Carnival, the Platinum members being " first " was a joke. The lobby and all surrounding areas were full of people who had tried to carry everything they owned off with them and it was basically a free for all. The Platinum members could do one of two things-- stay back and wait, although they were supposed to be the first off, or join in the push, pull, roll, tug, and curse crowd.
We just don't bother anymore. We let the thundering herd go ahead, stay out of the way and let them go Most are not in any big hurry anyway, just the human instinct to be first at something.We take our time, and then when the dust settles, walk off , get our bags and be on our way.
Carnival needs to either enforce the Platinum status perk for early disembarkation for their Platinum guests cruisers, or eliminate it all together. Why bother to have a perk if it just means joining the hundreds of others that are cramming the lobby, hallways, etc. with themselves, baggage, kids, boxes of liquor, etc and basically jamming up the whole works for themselves and everyone else, regardless of status!
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I'm with Trip, take your time and have a nice breakfast without having to hurry as long as you don't have a plane to catch...I have seen people getting off trying to manage luggage, just didn't look fun. I have enough with a purse and carry-on..
I also agree with Trip and Donna. I like to do things the easy way.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:43 AM
First Mate

Default Wheels on gangways.. Sure!!!

When you want to disembark upwards of 1,500 - 5,000 folks with bags and even 20 % choose self disembark then things go crazy.
Have you ever watched them stand in a crowded area and wait a long time then try to go side by side with wheeled luggage down a ships gangway that has nice strips of metal or wood across it every two feet.

Surprise! wheels do not like bump and bump and have a strange habit of going sideways or twisting. Compound that with people who have two bags each and those who have trouble walking or a shoulder bag also.

Unless you have a backpack only or like to make like Joe Cool by placing on your head, stick to departure as scheduled.

Unless you are called for Airport Buses or a scheduled tour , have a nice breakfast, go after you are called, relax as your colourful bag will be located without much effort, the customs folks will be almost finished as the crowd size is down.

Some cruise ships are now offering stay onboard for the day for a small fee..
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

After thoroughly digesting the pros and cons of self-disembark, I opted to not go this route on our first Carnival cruise, which was this past June. For our next cruise, I believe I will try the self-disembark. For our June cruise, we had a suite so we actually were in zone 1 for disembarking, but zone 1 wasn't even called till 10:30AM. We had to be out of our rooms by 9AM. Between these times, all self-disembarkers were at least getting of the ship, maybe clumsily at times, but its better than sitting around just waiting. I guess I have a personality that feels when its time to go home, I would rather leave then hang around.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I think the main thing here that's being overlooked by cruisers and Carnival alike is that the Platinum guests are supposed to have priority disembarkation-- Priority, in this case, means given preference over, --not to be in competition, with the self -debarkers, most of whom seem to have brought enough stuff for a 3 week cruise to begin with,then try to carry, drag, pull and tow all that plus all the liquor and other stuff they've accumulated during the week, and all trying to get off at the same time that the priority guests are supposed to be getting off.
Some will not agree with this but when you cruise 10 or more times, that's a perk set up by Carnival, not the passengers and as Carnival gave the perk, then either take it away or go by what they had originally intended it to be---Priority for the Platinum guests. Then the self debarkers, etc.
I don't really care anymore as I've decided the last 2-3 Carnival cruises I wouldn't participate in the mob scene and let the hordes drag, pull, carry , drop , break, etc.their loads, forcing their way forward a few inches or feet at a time, thereby creating a back up for everyone, including themselves.
I think the only thing I haven't seen so far is someone trying to balance a large suitcase on their head as they push another along with their feet, bags around their shoulders, and both hands full , all at the same time.
Better to just sit back, relax, let them go and forget that " Perk" for being a faithful costumer for so many cruises.
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I think the main thing here that's being overlooked by cruisers and Carnival alike is that the Platinum guests are supposed to have priority disembarkation-- Priority, in this case, means given preference over, --not to be in competition, with the self -debarkers, most of whom seem to have brought enough stuff for a 3 week cruise to begin with,then try to carry, drag, pull and tow all that plus all the liquor and other stuff they've accumulated during the week, and all trying to get off at the same time that the priority guests are supposed to be getting off.
Some will not agree with this but when you cruise 10 or more times, that's a perk set up by Carnival, not the passengers and as Carnival gave the perk, then either take it away or go by what they had originally intended it to be---Priority for the Platinum guests. Then the self debarkers, etc.
I don't really care anymore as I've decided the last 2-3 Carnival cruises I wouldn't participate in the mob scene and let the hordes drag, pull, carry , drop , break, etc.their loads, forcing their way forward a few inches or feet at a time, thereby creating a back up for everyone, including themselves.
I think the only thing I haven't seen so far is someone trying to balance a large suitcase on their head as they push another along with their feet, bags around their shoulders, and both hands full , all at the same time.
Better to just sit back, relax, let them go and forget that " Perk" for being a faithful costumer for so many cruises.
The last cruise I just got off of I was VIP..Of course that all went out the window when the ship pulled in late and people were already standing in all the starewells and hallways. I couldnt even get to the place where the VIPs were to meet. Plus if you have to carry more then 1 shoulderbag and 1 large bag with wheels, you should not be doing self assist..I was behind somebody that kept dropping 2 bags every 5 feet and I coulnt even get around them. There was over 100ft of space in front of them where the rest of the line moved ahead and people were starting to yell at ME to move. I only had 1 bag with wheels and a small carry on.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Early debarkation?? Are you kidding, they have to drag me kicking and screaming off the ship.
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

We did it in December and had no problem. We has one suitcase each.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
First Mate

All I can say is that I am in no hurry to get off the ship.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce95 View Post
All I can say is that I am in no hurry to get off the ship.

'AMEN' to that.
Who in their right mind wants to rush down a narrow gangway with a few hundred only to discover a line now begins after getting or being with luggage for Immigration/Customs.

I prefer the more orderly way of moving by colours or whatever groups you requested.

In fact I rather be one of the last off, much more civilized.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
First Mate

What Carnival did to the Platinum cruisers that used to be first off is put all the suite VIPs with them for debarkation. Now instead of 10 to 20 people its now 100s. It didnt take carnival long to screw that platinum perk up.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Captain

Platinum debark is a joke as so many before me have said. Doesnt anybody at Carnival see this? I think they should get rid of self assist altogether. How do you assist yourself anyway? If you are one person you are doing the work alone, youre not assisting anybody else. Even the term is wrong. Another thing I have wondered about carrying off your own bags. I never see the drug sniffing dogs around self assist luggage. You could pile kilos of blow in your bags and nobody would be the wiser. Am I missing something?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default What is next : Self Clean!

Makes you wonder as we live in a world of self fill for gas, self pack for groceries, self scan for items you buy, self help (what ever that means)
self disembark for cruises.
Soon it will be self clean (clean your cabin) self repair for fix the cabin if broken items.
Now, Self drink (fill my own drinks for free) and self play (Casino perhaps or your imagination.

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Captain

I too wish they would do away with Self Assist. It is just too much confusion.

I have noticed that every cruise we have taken where we departed and returned to a US port it took hours and hours and so much confusion to empty the ship. However, when we sailed the Freedom and the Dream (Carnival's largest class), two time out of Rome Italy the ship was empty by 9:00 or 9:30. We arranged for a driver to pick us up at the port at 8:30 and were off this ship before they arrived. Others told us that they did a final call around 9 or 9:30 to be sure that everyone was off the ship.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just did the self assist off Elation. We were the first group called, had no trouble finding an elevator, walked right off and through Customs in a couple of minutes. That's the way I like it...