Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Question what is the highest seas that a cruise ship will travel through?

what is the highest seas that a cruise ship will travel through? you see, i'm 9 weeks pregnant and i'm already extremely prone to motion sickness. i've been suffering from morning sickness the past 6 weeks, but that should subside around the 12th or 13th week. anyways, i just don't want to risk being seasick. my husband and i are wanting to take a cruise in sept. during my 5th month of pregnancy. i've never gotten sick on a cruise ship, but the highest seas i've been in was about 5 ft. i know that the ship will get as far away from a storm as possible, but if a hurricane is brewing in the gulf, especially a large storm, i would think that the seas would still be high as far as 300 miles away from the hurricane. any info. would be appreciated. i called 1800carnival, but the travel agent didn't have any information about this. thank you in advance. ashley
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ashley I have often cruised during hurricane season, but have yet to experience high seas....my "guess" would be possible 20 foot swells, if a storm is brewing...We felt this in January once, near the Bahamas. I never am bothered usually, but this time I felt it.. Make sure you ask your Dr. what you can take if you need it...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Admiral

There is no way to predict this, and a cruise ship will have to deal with whatever seas it encounters. It isn't as though they have a limit where they will turn around or start hunting around for lower seas except in extreme situations. On our first cruise we had 20 to 25 foot seas for the two day transit to San Juan. I've also been on a cruise where the seas were not too bad but the trade winds were constant and kept the ship rocking for days - the sail area provided by most modern slab sided ships means they can really feel the affects of a steady wind.

My advice would be to seriously reconsider if you want to do this, if you are so worried about motion sickness. My wife and I cruised when she was about 4 months pregnant, but that was on the SS Norway which was designed for heavy seas. On that cruise the seas were high but we had no problems. Meanwhile the other cruise ships on the same track bounced around like corks - including the one we had done our first cruise on which was visible on most days to our starboard.

Last edited by Dave Beers; June 12th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
First Mate

Default high seas

We were in asome rufffffff water about 3yrs ago, and it was about 20' seas,but we were midship and it was not bad. I watched the waves from the balcony. we were returning from grand caymen
boB
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
First Mate

In 1995 we were blessed with 30 ft waves in the Gulf for about 15 hrs boy was that fun. I never saw so many sick people. We went and stayed in our room. We had 20 ft waves for a day in the baltic. It gets your attention. Not to bad for 29 cruises and only 2 that had that kind of waves. 8ft to 12ft is nothing but people do get sick. were lucky we don't get sea sick.
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
First Mate

I didnt think the Baltic and that area got huge seas, I thought only out in the open ocean? I had 20ft during Alaska cruise last year - its all fun and games until your shampoo bottles go flying......
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

The ships have really changed in the last 20 years. I was on the NCL Sunward (former Royal Viking Sky) during 20ft seas in the early 90's. It was less than 30,000 tons and bobbed like a cork. Many, if not most, were sea sick. There's much less motion in the new 100,000+ ton ships. About the most I've felt on the last few cruises is a gentle roll. I miss the 'motion of the ocean'.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)