Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Default "Self-Excursion" Anyone?

OK Boy’s & Girl’s, I will be sailing on the LEGEND in 30-days and am looking to explore some cost saving options, mainly those connected to shore excursions.

In essence, what I'm looking to do this cruise is try to minimize some of my costs by creating my own type of "self-excursions" dealing with the beach and/or snorkeling on my own.

As you all know, many of the CCL "sponsored" excursions can cost an arm and a leg (or other body parts) and I thought that perhaps I could curtail some unnecessary spending and redirect somewhere else i.e.: the upgrade fairy.

I have visited each of these ports before and was thinking of booking just one excursion this time and creating my own “self-excursion” options as follows:

Grand Cayman: Seven Mile Beach (looking to snorkel).

Cozumel: Closest/Cheapest/Best overall Beach (looking to snorkel)

Roatan: Tabyana (some cost) or Mahogany (Free) (looking to snorkel).

Belize: Carnival Excursion - Cavetubing

Any suggestions??

Thanks Again All!!

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Admiral

A couple of things, I just went last week to Nachi Cocom, they limit the number of guests to 100 which I loved because it was quiet and uncrowded. They have an all inclusive deal (unlimited food (order from menu not buffet), drinks, beach, pool etc)for $49 for adults (less for kids) it is a $15 cab ride each way for up to 4 people. Service was great, everything was well maintained.

Roatan: Tabyana (some cost) or Mahogany (Free) (looking to snorkel). Mahogany is very nice... but I love the other side of the island it is worth the drive over and seeing everything in between is lovely too. I would recommend you contact Bananarama resort and see what the latest deal is on the day of snorkel and beach. Let them arrange your transportation. They are terrific. I went scuba diving with them and hated to leave to go back to the ship it was very nice. They are right next to Tabyana, so you get the benefit of the beautiful beach and the nice snorkelling (there is a reef right off their beach) without having fight the big crowds from the cruise ship.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Only one thought. When we were in Roatan in Jan. we found out that while the swimming is good at Mahogany there is really no snorkling there but the snorkling at Tabyana is terrific, went snorkling there last Oct.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Passenger

In Grand Cayman, if you want to walk and save money with great snorkling then check out Eden Rock or Cheeseburger reef. Both are in close distance and has wonderful snorkling. (map below)

In Roatan if you wanna snorkle Tabayana beach is the place to go. You can swim at Moh Bay but it not alot of fish and when the current picks up the visablity is low and the sands really sucks.

cavetubing in Belize is the way to go, like you have book thru CCL. Its well worth it.

Cayman's Best Baot and Shore Diving

Old June 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

I agree with nobody about Grand Cayman. We have gone to Eden Rock a couple of times and have enjoyed it very much. You rent a lock for $5 for the day to put your things in. You can snorkel then put your gear in the locker and then go around shopping without having to carry everything.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
I agree with nobody about Grand Cayman. We have gone to Eden Rock a couple of times and have enjoyed it very much. You rent a lock for $5 for the day to put your things in. You can snorkel then put your gear in the locker and then go around shopping without having to carry everything.
The lockers there are a life saver, plus they have a Margaritaville right across the street...we loved that place...

and from the ship you can see the dive flag.

I forgot my Cozumel advice... Try a place called Nachi Cocom, you can rent jet skis, snorkle tours and more...the the drinks and food are worth the $49 pp anyday!

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...BeachBreak.htm

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Default self excursion

i understand that it can get dicey if the time gets close and the BOAT DONT WAIT FOR NO ONE
boB
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

As of now it looks like Eden Rock (FREE) is a go and most probably Tabyana over Mahagony for the snorkeling.

Now as for Cozumel, is Nachi Cocom available via a Carnival excursion?

In Belize I really am leaning towards cavetubing but would would like to go through Carnival because of all the horror stories of people booking privately and just about making it back to the ship.

What say you?

Old June 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku View Post
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

As of now it looks like Eden Rock (FREE) is a go and most probably Tabyana over Mahagony for the snorkeling.

Now as for Cozumel, is Nachi Cocom available via a Carnival excursion?

In Belize I really am leaning towards cavetubing but would would like to go through Carnival because of all the horror stories of people booking privately and just about making it back to the ship.

What say you?

Nachi is only booked thru that private website. But its really easy to get to with a taxi. Best part is that they will make sure you dont miss the ship. they always have taxis outside waiting and they will know your debark time. So they are very good with that.

With Belize if the cavetubing is available thru Carnival I wld book it there for sure.

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
A couple of things, I just went last week to Nachi Cocom, they limit the number of guests to 100 which I loved because it was quiet and uncrowded. They have an all inclusive deal (unlimited food (order from menu not buffet), drinks, beach, pool etc)for $49 for adults (less for kids) it is a $15 cab ride each way for up to 4 people. Service was great, everything was well maintained.

I didn't see this on the carnival website?

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku View Post
I didn't see this on the carnival website?
It can only be booked here thru this link.

Cozumel Beach Break at Nachi Cocom the Perfect Day in Paradise at Nachi Cocom in cozumel

Old June 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post

Thanks!

I filled out the reservation form and am awaiting their reply on availability.

Old June 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

ShotoJuku.

In Belize I have used Cave-tubing.net twice, Major Tom and his crew are very good.

Mark

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk65 View Post
ShotoJuku.

In Belize I have used Cave-tubing.net twice, Major Tom and his crew are very good.

Mark
Thanks Mark!

I posted this poll question below for anyone who would like to weigh in (vote) and you need not leave a rply either.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1221488