Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Beginner

Default Valor - West Caribbean - help picking good excursions

Hello Everyone,
So now that i finally booked my first cruise for the last week in July, i need help on booking excursions. Not sure if i should book directly with Carnival or book excursions when we get there or are there other websites to book excursions. Also if anyone has any advice on what should be done @ Grand Cayman, Roatan Island, Belize City, and Cozumel.

I read that swimming with the stingray is a must @ grand Cayman. so i went on nativeway website where they have this and i can either do the stingray and island tour or the rays, reef and rum point tour.

as for Belize - i read about cave tubing and i think i am interesed in this. For those that has done this - please be kind and share the experience with me.

still not sure wha to do in Cozumel and Roatan Island. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. i also wouldn't mind just relaxing by a beach or walking around town if there is some reasonable shopping nearby.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle216 View Post
Hello Everyone,
So now that i finally booked my first cruise for the last week in July, i need help on booking excursions. Not sure if i should book directly with Carnival or book excursions when we get there or are there other websites to book excursions. Also if anyone has any advice on what should be done @ Grand Cayman, Roatan Island, Belize City, and Cozumel.

I read that swimming with the stingray is a must @ grand Cayman. so i went on nativeway website where they have this and i can either do the stingray and island tour or the rays, reef and rum point tour.

as for Belize - i read about cave tubing and i think i am interesed in this. For those that has done this - please be kind and share the experience with me.

still not sure wha to do in Cozumel and Roatan Island. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. i also wouldn't mind just relaxing by a beach or walking around town if there is some reasonable shopping nearby.

Belize is one i highly recommend you book thru the cruise line. This is a tender port and a 5-7mile tender ride to shore. And when booking thru the cruiseline you will recieve priority tenders and get off first. We booked cavetubing privately and we missed it because tenders took to long. But cavetubing is amazing!!

In Roatan you can just get off the ship and they have a nice beach and shops and bars all right there. Or if you want to get away from that area they have a place called Tabayana beach over on the west side of the island. It was such a pretty beach and great snorkling. But it is a very nice place no matter what.

For Cozumel I have done a place called Nachi Cocom and loved it. After being so active in all the other ports, this was a nice place to relax and drink the day away.

Hope this helps a little.

here is some info

Nachi....Cozumel Beach Break at Nachi Cocom the Perfect Day in Paradise at Nachi Cocom in cozumel

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Beginner

thanks for the great advice Nobody Special.
i am looking into booking cavetubing now thru the cruise line. I just looked up the website for Nachi Cocom and this looks beautiful. i think i am going to do this + you can rent jet skis which my husband loves. how did you get to this place?
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Just ask the taxi to take you..costs $15 each way i do believe...and they will ask you to see your resevations because the taxi wont take you unless you do...you will love it!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Familiar Face

We cruised on Valor last year. In Belize we did cave tubing and rode ATVs through cave-tubing.com. It was a lot of fun and we got back well ahead of time to board the ship. Remember, tourism is how many make their living in most of these countries and they rely on good reviews, so if they fail to get you back to the ship it will seriously hurt their business. In other words, they will do whatever it takes to get you back to the ship.

In Roatan we did zip lining through roatancruiseexcursions.com. They took us zip lining, which was amazing, then we had the option of going to the beach for a few hours. The van waited on us and took us back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman, we visited the stingrays and snorkeled with mobydicktours.com. We did this tour with them two years in a row because they were so good. They take you out in a boat with a small group (MUCH smaller than with the cruise ship.) They take you to the sandbar where the sting rays are and let you feed them and swim around with them. They help you take pictures and kiss them. Then they take you nearby to go snorkel. On the way back to the ship they give you the option to be let off at the beach if you want.

We recommend booking private excursions. We have had nothing but good experiences, but they are what you make them. The only bad excursion we have had was booked through the cruise line, so I doubt we will ever do that again. If you book privately you just need to make sure that you allow enough time to get back to the ship should any problems arise. Thats what we always do.
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You can also checkout this tour operator...over the years of moderating here, I have heard his name, time and time again, with great reviews.

Stingray City Tours Grand Cayman - Captain Marvin's Watersports Grand Cayman Snorkel trips to Stingray City Sandbar, Barrier Reef & Coral Gardens

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You can also checkout this tour operator...over the years of moderating here, I have heard his name, time and time again, with great reviews.

Stingray City Tours Grand Cayman - Captain Marvin's Watersports Grand Cayman Snorkel trips to Stingray City Sandbar, Barrier Reef & Coral Gardens
I have used Cptn Marvins and they to me offer the best deal with the whole day trip. They are very reliable and we had such a great time!!!
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Beginner

There are a bunch of them I was just doing a Google search on Caribbean Cusine yesterday and turned up THOUSANDS of links for cookbooks and web pages...

Last edited by Trip; June 22nd, 2010 at 08:25 PM.