CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Past Guest Discount for Real? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/374622-past-guest-discount-real.html)

Kimbopolo June 19th, 2010 01:42 PM

Past Guest Discount for Real?

I can't figure out if there is a true discount for being a past guest on Carnival. Does it only apply to select cruises? Does it only apply when you book through Carnival?

Nobody Special June 19th, 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbopolo (Post 1298509)
I can't figure out if there is a true discount for being a past guest on Carnival. Does it only apply to select cruises? Does it only apply when you book through Carnival?

It is not always available, it kinda comes and goes on sailings here and there.

Sometimes its a lower price, but most often it comes with a 2 cat upgrade. or sometimes both.

You can book it thru anybody, either TA, CCL direct, or online it will be there if you have sailed with Carnival.

dhudd June 19th, 2010 04:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yes there are discounts. But there is only a limited amout of cabins that are
available for these discounts, ( AAA, Prior Cruisers, Military & Exc.), (that's why we always book early). Plus you can't up grade to another cabin with the discount. I usually use the Military discount. Our next cruise, that we booked, we always select the cabin that we want. Certain rooms are not available for any discounts. We wanted to get an upgrade from a regular Balcony Cabin, 8, to a Balcony Cabin category 9. Well our T.A said that we could do that but there are no discounts for those categories...(it would have been $900.00 more). We will be staying in our category 8 cabin.

Kimbopolo June 19th, 2010 05:04 PM

Is the past guest discount available when you book Early Saver?

Cruznut2 June 19th, 2010 06:03 PM

When I call Carnival to quote a cruise for a client. They always ask if the client is past guest, military, senior, and what state they live in. past guest is not always the cheapest. I usually take the cheapest rate for my clients.

Laura

Nobody Special June 19th, 2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbopolo (Post 1298545)
Is the past guest discount available when you book Early Saver?

You cant use both promo's so you can take the best one, which will normally be early saver. But if later on after early saver is gone, you can use the best price gtee on other promos you are quilified for. Hope that doesnt confuse you.

Kimbopolo June 19th, 2010 07:04 PM

Not at all - that was very helpful. Thanks!

ttam June 19th, 2010 07:46 PM

Less money

Ibooked the glory some time ago from NORFOLK, VA in OCT 2010, with a cat 11 > About a month ago i found out in went down about $70. each, nice, maybe my DW will give me a bigger allowance.
boB :D:D:)

wendlick June 19th, 2010 08:19 PM

We are booked on the Liberty on 11/13/2010 and the Early Saver was less than the past guest. We booked through Carnival and we saved about $4oo.oo for my husband and I and we are very happy.

Tree Hugger June 19th, 2010 10:42 PM

I'm booked on the Conquest in September.

We booked Early Saver back in March, it was the cheapest at the time, however thanks to past guest promos they are currently running that were not available back then I have gotten a $100 per person price adjustment. When I first booked I was wondering why the past guest wasn't offering the best price, but now that Early Saver is no longer available for the new bookings, I can see the benefit of using the past guest option, it is by far the cheapest option right now in the cabin category we booked.

BobMiller June 21st, 2010 01:54 PM

I have also seen cases where the free upgrade available with the Past Guest price makes upgraded rooms cheaper than the early saver.

I have not been one to care much about upgrades but on Spirit class ships the base balcony is obstructed view so an upgrade is valuable.

We will also use an upgrade if the only "lower" grade cabins available are above or below a noisy area or within 3 or of the front or back.

Johnathan June 23rd, 2010 05:48 PM

We like the past guest over early saver because of the flexibility. If you value flexibility in your sail date, it might be worth the little bit extra. Plus we usually like a higher category cabin so the upgrades make it more worthwhile than the early saver. So weigh your options and see how much the different features are worth to you.

Kimbopolo June 23rd, 2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnathan (Post 1299302)
Plus we usually like a higher category cabin so the upgrades make it more worthwhile than the early saver. So weigh your options and see how much the different features are worth to you.

So .... the past guest rate makes you eligible for an upgrade but early saver doesn't?

What if you are particular about your cabin and like that question settled far in advance?

Pardon my ignorance - this is all very complicated! :???:

Tree Hugger June 23rd, 2010 09:14 PM

I booked Early Saver, but chose the category/cabin that I wanted, I have been able to use this against the past guest rate to my advantage ($100pp)

Dutchman June 23rd, 2010 10:39 PM

It does get interesting, one cruise ES is the best, next one could be 55+ is better, Military could be better, one time it was the state or past guest. Valor, Glory and Liberty in the last few weeks have had good prices for 8A balcony some as low as $568 ea for some weeks, (Jan/Feb) have been the best. You have to look around at just prices, not every sailing has a special. If its 70% or more off its a good price then check out when and where it goes. Keep the blinders off and you can get some good prices.

Johnathan June 23rd, 2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbopolo (Post 1299335)
So .... the past guest rate makes you eligible for an upgrade but early saver doesn't?

What if you are particular about your cabin and like that question settled far in advance?

Pardon my ignorance - this is all very complicated! :???:

I should clarify, I'm referring to upgrades at the time of booking. Not sure about upgrades closer to departure, I've never had one either way though. What I do know is that whenever I've booked past guest we get some sort of upgrade guaranteed when we book, so we get a cabin assignment in the higher category, hence no question of where you're staying. With early saver is always just seems to be a low price but never an upgrade at time of booking.

For Example: we once booked a past guest rate on a basic interior cabin (Cat 4A, sorry I'd check but its getting late) and the past guest promotion gave us an upgrade all the way up to (I think) a 4F which is an interior on the Lido deck. Paying for the basic interior and getting a past guest upgrade to the Lido deck ended up being much cheaper than the early saved for the 4F on the Lido deck if just purchased under the early saver promo. So you see, sometimes if you're planning on a higher category, the money you save using a past guest upgrade at time of booking can outweigh the early savings. Not always, but I find it is often the case.

Though I also find Carnival is offering less and less past guest promos, anyone else agree?

Hope this didn't confuse you any further!!

Kimbopolo June 24th, 2010 07:52 AM

Thanks for the clarification!

rosetattoo June 24th, 2010 11:29 AM

The cruise line's interpretation of an upgrade is different from what you might consider an upgrade. I don't consider a move from an interior room to an interior room on a higher deck a true upgrade. An upgrade, in my opinion, is from an interior to an OV or balcony room or balcony to a suite. Be cautious when they offer you an upgrade, you could be going from the frying pan into the fire. The upgraded stateroom may be on a higher deck but in a terrible location, i.e., near the atrium elevators where there is a lot of foot traffic, near the galley where it is very noisy, above or below an entertainment venue that is open late (think disco or show lounge). Be sure to check the ship's deck plan before you accept an upgrade so you can make an informed decision to accept or not.