Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Default Past Guest Discount for Real?

I can't figure out if there is a true discount for being a past guest on Carnival. Does it only apply to select cruises? Does it only apply when you book through Carnival?
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
I can't figure out if there is a true discount for being a past guest on Carnival. Does it only apply to select cruises? Does it only apply when you book through Carnival?
It is not always available, it kinda comes and goes on sailings here and there.

Sometimes its a lower price, but most often it comes with a 2 cat upgrade. or sometimes both.

You can book it thru anybody, either TA, CCL direct, or online it will be there if you have sailed with Carnival.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

Yes there are discounts. But there is only a limited amout of cabins that are
available for these discounts, ( AAA, Prior Cruisers, Military & Exc.), (that's why we always book early). Plus you can't up grade to another cabin with the discount. I usually use the Military discount. Our next cruise, that we booked, we always select the cabin that we want. Certain rooms are not available for any discounts. We wanted to get an upgrade from a regular Balcony Cabin, 8, to a Balcony Cabin category 9. Well our T.A said that we could do that but there are no discounts for those categories...(it would have been $900.00 more). We will be staying in our category 8 cabin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC091211.jpg (27.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 924.jpg (32.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (388).jpg (91.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (511).jpg (85.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Caribbean Cruise Nov 07 (516).jpg (87.0 KB, 7 views)

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Is the past guest discount available when you book Early Saver?
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I call Carnival to quote a cruise for a client. They always ask if the client is past guest, military, senior, and what state they live in. past guest is not always the cheapest. I usually take the cheapest rate for my clients.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Is the past guest discount available when you book Early Saver?
You cant use both promo's so you can take the best one, which will normally be early saver. But if later on after early saver is gone, you can use the best price gtee on other promos you are quilified for. Hope that doesnt confuse you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Not at all - that was very helpful. Thanks!
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Default Less money

Ibooked the glory some time ago from NORFOLK, VA in OCT 2010, with a cat 11 > About a month ago i found out in went down about $70. each, nice, maybe my DW will give me a bigger allowance.
boB
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Familiar Face

We are booked on the Liberty on 11/13/2010 and the Early Saver was less than the past guest. We booked through Carnival and we saved about $4oo.oo for my husband and I and we are very happy.
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Passenger

I'm booked on the Conquest in September.

We booked Early Saver back in March, it was the cheapest at the time, however thanks to past guest promos they are currently running that were not available back then I have gotten a $100 per person price adjustment. When I first booked I was wondering why the past guest wasn't offering the best price, but now that Early Saver is no longer available for the new bookings, I can see the benefit of using the past guest option, it is by far the cheapest option right now in the cabin category we booked.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
First Mate

I have also seen cases where the free upgrade available with the Past Guest price makes upgraded rooms cheaper than the early saver.

I have not been one to care much about upgrades but on Spirit class ships the base balcony is obstructed view so an upgrade is valuable.

We will also use an upgrade if the only "lower" grade cabins available are above or below a noisy area or within 3 or of the front or back.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We like the past guest over early saver because of the flexibility. If you value flexibility in your sail date, it might be worth the little bit extra. Plus we usually like a higher category cabin so the upgrades make it more worthwhile than the early saver. So weigh your options and see how much the different features are worth to you.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
Plus we usually like a higher category cabin so the upgrades make it more worthwhile than the early saver. So weigh your options and see how much the different features are worth to you.
So .... the past guest rate makes you eligible for an upgrade but early saver doesn't?

What if you are particular about your cabin and like that question settled far in advance?

Pardon my ignorance - this is all very complicated! :???:
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Passenger

I booked Early Saver, but chose the category/cabin that I wanted, I have been able to use this against the past guest rate to my advantage ($100pp)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
First Mate

It does get interesting, one cruise ES is the best, next one could be 55+ is better, Military could be better, one time it was the state or past guest. Valor, Glory and Liberty in the last few weeks have had good prices for 8A balcony some as low as $568 ea for some weeks, (Jan/Feb) have been the best. You have to look around at just prices, not every sailing has a special. If its 70% or more off its a good price then check out when and where it goes. Keep the blinders off and you can get some good prices.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
So .... the past guest rate makes you eligible for an upgrade but early saver doesn't?

What if you are particular about your cabin and like that question settled far in advance?

Pardon my ignorance - this is all very complicated! :???:
I should clarify, I'm referring to upgrades at the time of booking. Not sure about upgrades closer to departure, I've never had one either way though. What I do know is that whenever I've booked past guest we get some sort of upgrade guaranteed when we book, so we get a cabin assignment in the higher category, hence no question of where you're staying. With early saver is always just seems to be a low price but never an upgrade at time of booking.

For Example: we once booked a past guest rate on a basic interior cabin (Cat 4A, sorry I'd check but its getting late) and the past guest promotion gave us an upgrade all the way up to (I think) a 4F which is an interior on the Lido deck. Paying for the basic interior and getting a past guest upgrade to the Lido deck ended up being much cheaper than the early saved for the 4F on the Lido deck if just purchased under the early saver promo. So you see, sometimes if you're planning on a higher category, the money you save using a past guest upgrade at time of booking can outweigh the early savings. Not always, but I find it is often the case.

Though I also find Carnival is offering less and less past guest promos, anyone else agree?

Hope this didn't confuse you any further!!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the clarification!
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Admiral

The cruise line's interpretation of an upgrade is different from what you might consider an upgrade. I don't consider a move from an interior room to an interior room on a higher deck a true upgrade. An upgrade, in my opinion, is from an interior to an OV or balcony room or balcony to a suite. Be cautious when they offer you an upgrade, you could be going from the frying pan into the fire. The upgraded stateroom may be on a higher deck but in a terrible location, i.e., near the atrium elevators where there is a lot of foot traffic, near the galley where it is very noisy, above or below an entertainment venue that is open late (think disco or show lounge). Be sure to check the ship's deck plan before you accept an upgrade so you can make an informed decision to accept or not.