CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (
-   -   would like to book trip but what is up w/free insurance on some booking sites?? (

Ginger9708 July 2nd, 2010 08:35 PM

would like to book trip but what is up w/free insurance on some booking sites??
Can someone tell me why just a handful of places will offer free insurance and others wont but rather maybe a 2 room upgrade. I have checked the BBB and there were no complaints against this company so i am assuming its ok. To upgrade the insurance is $98 from the free policy and im thinking of doing this as my daughter is a type 1 diabetic (although we have had no problems with her for the past 3 years but want to be safe than sorry if anything happens). Should i go with the company that is charging me $170 for the 4 of us for insurance & the 2 room upgrade or the one w/free insurance which i will spend $98 to upgrade to premium. I just dont know what to think about this. thanks

Donna July 2nd, 2010 10:11 PM

Hi Ginger,
I would check around and price other insurance companies, there are many that offer travel insurance and then you can compare. Read the different policies carefully and pick the one that is right for you and your family. I've been using CSA travel protection for awhile. There are a few more you can also price...

Ginger9708 July 3rd, 2010 07:23 AM

thanks! so are you saying to book the cruise and use a seperate insurance company?Do they usually offer better policies?

Dutchman July 3rd, 2010 09:26 AM

Just make sure you look at the total price of the cruise and what the (so called free Insurance covers) Nothing is free. You can get insurance for what you want covered. Just the cruise, or cruise/air/hotel. We get insurance to cover from the time we leave the house till we get back. Costs alittle more but no problems along the way. If there are problems with weather, airlines, lost luggage. It is something that you must read and figure out what is best for you. If you can afford to loose the money if something happens, take the chance.

Cruznut2 July 3rd, 2010 10:20 AM

I have used This site bring up quotes from different insurers so you can choose between them.

Mike M July 3rd, 2010 10:25 AM

Insurance is something that you shouldn't take lightly. Many time the "Free" insurance isn't that good of a deal. It can have limited coverage and conditions.

Find out everything that it covers and the dollar amounts before you accept it.

There are some good travel insurance packages. Others have given you information on where to look for them.

Compare and decide.

Take care,