CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (
-   -   do i need an enhanced license & BC to cruise without passport? (

Ginger9708 July 3rd, 2010 07:05 AM

do i need an enhanced license & BC to cruise without passport?
I know the passport is the way to go but given the small amount of time we wont be able to do it. We have birth certificate with raised seal but do we now need to get an enhanced license (we already have photo license). Do they require both of these documents or is a birth certificate enough??

Dutchman July 3rd, 2010 08:04 AM

What is the required travel documentation for all ports?
Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.
U.S. Citizens
Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:
Valid U.S. Passport
Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate
Certificate of Naturalization
Passport Card
Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit
To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.
When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.
Sailings from Canada or to Canadian Ports of Call
U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant documents.
Europe, Hawaii and Transatlantic Cruises
U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.
U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens
U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and/or passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises. Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents, including a Schengen/ or Croatian Visa necessary for European cruises.
On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.
Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa Requirements
During your Mediterranean or Transatlantic voyage, you will be visiting various countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Croatia. Specific countries will vary depending on the voyage you have chosen. Some of these countries are members of the Schengen Agreement. Countries participating in the Schengen Agreement are listed below. Because the ship may be departing and re-entering countries which participate in the Schengen Agreement, certain nationalities will be required to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa (for at least two entries) prior to joining the ship. A Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa may be required if your passport has been issued by a country other than the United States, Canada or European Community.

S.S.Oceanlover July 4th, 2010 01:30 AM


Originally Posted by Ginger9708 (Post 1301172)
I know the passport is the way to go but given the small amount of time we wont be able to do it. We have birth certificate with raised seal but do we now need to get an enhanced license (we already have photo license). Do they require both of these documents or is a birth certificate enough??

No you don't need an enhanced drivers license. Just a govt isued photo id with the birth certificate is fine.


venice July 4th, 2010 03:53 AM

if you are cruising within 3 weeks you can ctc your nearest Passport office and make an appointment to have a passport issued on an expidiated basis and have it within 5 working days but you will pay a steep surcharge..passports are going up on July 13th

Dave Beers July 8th, 2010 02:36 PM

The thing is only 4 or 5 states are currently issuing enhanced driver licenses that meet the legal definition of one. There has been a lot of extensions and delays so that a regular driver license and original or certified copy of the birth certificate are still accepted for closed loop cruises. Otherwise they would be requiring someone from, say Texas, to get a passport while someone from NY State (where they have issued EDLs) to not get a passport. There are also issues with people with valid driver licenses issued before the EDLs came into effect.

The whole thing is a mess. They never should have made the closed loop exemption. All it did was add needless complexity to what should have been a cut-and-dried thing.

AngelFly October 5th, 2010 03:01 PM

thank you all very much! this information was very useful for me.

Donna October 5th, 2010 07:03 PM

You should really go ahead and get a passport, especially if for any reason you'd have to return home before the end of the cruise. Then you'd need a passport to travel home....Its the best identification you can have and it is good for 10 yeas, so apply for one. I don't think they are taking that much time.

DryCreek October 5th, 2010 09:06 PM

You should be good-to-go
Sounds like you have all you need.
If you live in one of the states that issues (and you have one) an Enhanced Driver License is all you will need providing you are going on a closed-loop cruise.

If you have any doubt as to whether or not you were issues an Enhanced Driver License, then bring your birth certificate too. And to avoid any questions about whether or not your BC is acceptable, make it a point to drop by your local passport issuing facility. I'll bet there is one near you. See this link: Where to Apply for a Passport Nationwide
In many cases they are a post office. They will be able to confirm if your BC meets re-entry requirements - and that should give you peace of mind to be assured that you will not be turned away when boarding.

The Enhanced Driver License (info here ) is treated the same as having a passport card (I have that too) and that would be ALL you need to present when boarding and at re-entry.

Have a great time and a safe trip!

Snoozeman October 5th, 2010 11:30 PM

Just seems odd to see another Bosque County Texas.;) This is a small place.

DryCreek October 6th, 2010 06:20 PM


Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1321380)
Just seems odd to see another Bosque County Texas.;) This is a small place.

Well, Northern Bosque County - does that still count? Those few and hardy citizens (or are we denizens?) that live north of Meridian are proud to be noticed!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1