Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Admiral

I've enjoyed doing this virtual cruise. Right now I am doing laundry and catching up on e-mail, phone messages, and oh yes, having a rum and coke. You have to ease away from the cruise, don't you know.

But my dinner tonight will likely be a bologna sandwich and a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup. Now, that is definitely NOT easing away from the cruise but I really am not that hungry after a week of stuffing myself with some really great food.

I grow weary of those who bash Carnival and I was delighted to provide a fresh perspective on a wonderful cruise line over the past several days. My family and I like Carnival and will cruise with them many more times in the coming years.
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know what you mean. I've been cruising on Carnival for nearly 20 years and I love it. They deliver a perfect cruise vacation consistently. I don't need to pay more for all the extras some other cruise lines have. I like good food and a fun time at a reasonable price and that is exactly what they deliver.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Smile

Thanks Dave for all your reviews. I really enjoyed them.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Hi Dave, I just wanted to tell you that I've enjoyed your post's.

We'll probably NEVER do the self-assist off of Carnival (or any other ship :o). We book our flight's out in the early afternoon and have a "take it easy" morning of debarkation.

I hope you'll post again, telling us what you're doing
OK.....just for the record...I am officially jealous of you.

For YEARS I have wanted to leisurely awake.....get dressed....go have breakfast in the Main Dining Room .... stroll back to the cabin afterwards to collect our things and walk off the ship.

But NOOOOOO.... we have to jump out of bed like our pants are on fire .... grab everything (that we packed the night before) and sprint off the ship, at the crack of stinking dawn, like we are trying out for the Olympics! (just so my husband can be on the road as EARLY as humanly possible)

When you point that mule towards the barn....LOOK OUT!!!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post

I heard that Danni was filling in as karaoke host and I couldn't get the name of the permanent one. I am not sure this is accurate but a travel companion said it was and I trust him without question.
Since Carnival always used Social Hosts (sorry, I can't stop calling them that) to run karaoke BEFORE they started using dedicated karaoke hosts, it is very common for Carnival to use them to fill in.

Rumor has it, that the position will revert to Entertainment Staff in the near future. (along with the DJ position)

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I've enjoyed doing this virtual cruise. Right now I am doing laundry and catching up on e-mail, phone messages, and oh yes, having a rum and coke. You have to ease away from the cruise, don't you know.

But my dinner tonight will likely be a bologna sandwich and a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup. Now, that is definitely NOT easing away from the cruise but I really am not that hungry after a week of stuffing myself with some really great food.

I grow weary of those who bash Carnival and I was delighted to provide a fresh perspective on a wonderful cruise line over the past several days. My family and I like Carnival and will cruise with them many more times in the coming years.
Sadly, I can only have a virtual rum and coke since that is 150 calories per drink.

But that is just until I get back down to where I was before all the surgeries.... and that is more out of necessity (so the clothes will get) than it is vanity.

I too grow weary of "starfish". It is one thing to have specific complaints about Carnival. That is normal. But these people who write and complain like they have a starfish up their behind simply irritate me.

Sorry, ALL the food was not horrible. ALL the staff were not rude.
The ENTIRE ship was not filthy. (signs of a true starfish)

Old July 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Funny you should put it that way. They started self-debarkation before we went to the dining room. Then we went and had breakfast and it was ironic that we were seated with a family from Indiana who were going to stop for the night in our hometown of Athens, AL. So while I was eating a nice omelet people were lined up like prisoners two decks below me. Then as you said, we went back and got our carry-ons, did a final pit stop in the cabin bathroom, and went to the library which was our designated VIP waiting area. We got there and waited about 10 minutes and then the red shirted "Ask Me" lady arrived and said "follow me". Got to the terminal and a security officer - seeing my wife's use of a walker - pulled us out of line and let us cut across to the elevator ahead of a hundred people. Then we got "the" porter who sweet talked us to the head of the Customs line, and we were out the door. Really, the longest wait all morning was for the hotel shuttle, and part of that was a communications breakdown with the guy who directs shuttle traffic (he thought we were going to a different hotel than what I told him).

The hotel people couldn't have been nicer. They even loaded our trunk without asking us (which would make it a no tip situation although I did tip him).

We probably were on the road just as quickly as many (but not all) self-debarkers.
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
But NOOOOOO.... we have to jump out of bed like our pants are on fire .... grab everything (that we packed the night before) and sprint off the ship, at the crack of stinking dawn, like we are trying out for the Olympics
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
We will be aboard August 19th....same date????
Nope...the August 28th cruise.
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

By the way, we had the most clearcut and refreshing encounter with the CBP officer at Mobile. I handed him the passports and declaration. He looked at them, and then simply asked "are you returning to the United States with anything you didn't have with you when you left?" "Yes." "Can you describe the items?" "Two liters of Tanqueray, a pile of t-shirts, three ball caps, and two refrigerator magnets". "Any fruit or agricultural products?" "No." "Thank you and welcome back."
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Sadly, I can only have a virtual rum and coke since that is 150 calories per drink.

But that is just until I get back down to where I was before all the surgeries.... and that is more out of necessity (so the clothes will get) than it is vanity.

I too grow weary of "starfish". It is one thing to have specific complaints about Carnival. That is normal. But these people who write and complain like they have a starfish up their behind simply irritate me.

Sorry, ALL the food was not horrible. ALL the staff were not rude.
The ENTIRE ship was not filthy. (signs of a true starfish)
We had some problems on our last Carnival cruise, but I'd never be a "starfish"! Our major problems were on "turn around" day on a B2B cruise (which only made the "little" things seem bigger). It was the crew who messed up, more than once. It has sent us back to Princess , at least for now.

Love your sense of humor! We used to drive to Galveston, but we flew last time. We're retired, so we're in no hurry to go anywhere !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
By the way, we had the most clearcut and refreshing encounter with the CBP officer at Mobile. I handed him the passports and declaration. He looked at them, and then simply asked "are you returning to the United States with anything you didn't have with you when you left?" "Yes." "Can you describe the items?" "Two liters of Tanqueray, a pile of t-shirts, three ball caps, and two refrigerator magnets". "Any fruit or agricultural products?" "No." "Thank you and welcome back."
Dave, I'm happy Customs went so well for you. Besides the problem's from the crew on "turnaround day", we also were (finally) met by two officers who didn't have a clue what a B2B cruise was. They wanted to know where our luggage was (ummm, on board), when was the last time we were out of the country (ummm, about 4 AM?). Finally, their Captain showed up and took a glance at our passports and let us get back on board. By then, one of the ship's dancer's from Romania (I think)who was going through Custom's (apparently they have to on a certain schedule?) was in tears, thinking she was not going to be let back on the ship.

It was a real mess and took over an hour instead of the usual 10 minutes!

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Thanks Dave for the great virtual cruise. I enjoyed reading your posts. I did do self-assist off the Elation and it was horrible. We mostly drive to port so I perfer to kick back on the Lido deck and wait for the first groups to clear out. I was surprised on Carnival Splendor, out of Long Beach, how smooth the debarkation was.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
We had some problems on our last Carnival cruise, but I'd never be a "starfish"! Our major problems were on "turn around" day on a B2B cruise (which only made the "little" things seem bigger). It was the crew who messed up, more than once. It has sent us back to Princess , at least for now.

Love your sense of humor! We used to drive to Galveston, but we flew last time. We're retired, so we're in no hurry to go anywhere !

I look forward to experiencing Princess as soon as our youngest son is ready (with his Autism, change is not his friend).....

Old July 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Dave, I'm happy Customs went so well for you. Besides the problem's from the crew on "turnaround day", we also were (finally) met by two officers who didn't have a clue what a B2B cruise was. They wanted to know where our luggage was (ummm, on board), when was the last time we were out of the country (ummm, about 4 AM?). Finally, their Captain showed up and took a glance at our passports and let us get back on board. By then, one of the ship's dancer's from Romania (I think)who was going through Custom's (apparently they have to on a certain schedule?) was in tears, thinking she was not going to be let back on the ship.

It was a real mess and took over an hour instead of the usual 10 minutes!

WOW...that is ridiculous for a B2B "walk off...walk on" to take an hour.
That takes away from the B2B experience...

at least for me....the fun part is having the ship to yourself for about 1 1/2 hours!!!

We have done 3 B2Bs on Carnival and so far everyone has been perfect...even the one that had 124 of us !!!! :o

However, I have been warned that the Triumph did not handle it well in March.... (seems the Purser disappeared and just left the cruisers standing there)....so I will have to keep a eye on them in October....

Old July 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I look forward to experiencing Princess as soon as our youngest son is ready (with his Autism, change is not his friend).....

lhp, I think your son would do fine on Princess. It's not a lot different from Carnival. Does he go to the "Camp Carnival" and enjoy it? We've met people who've had to "drag" their kid's out of the kid's program on Princess! (FAQ: Cruise Answer Place : Youth & Teen Programs : Princess Cruises

(What I posted about the B2B and turnaround day is not the whole story, but I try to not be a complainer. Maybe someone just had a really bad day?)

We also enjoy the "empty" ship on a B2B!

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacmuse View Post
Nope...the August 28th cruise.

RATS!!! I am always on the wrong cruise!!!

Old July 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
lhp, I think your son would do fine on Princess. It's not a lot different from Carnival. Does he go to the "Camp Carnival" and enjoy it? We've met people who've had to "drag" their kid's out of the kid's program on Princess! (FAQ: Cruise Answer Place : Youth & Teen Programs : Princess Cruises

(What I posted about the B2B and turnaround day is not the whole story, but I try to not be a complainer. Maybe someone just had a really bad day?)

We also enjoy the "empty" ship on a B2B!
I understand.

Please understand that starfish are not people who have legitimate complaints. (I have had my fair share over the years.)

I think legitimate complaints are healthy and can be very constructive in providing a better cruise the next time.

Starfish are the folks who find nothing at all positive about the cruise AND generalize and exxagerate about the entire experience.

Our son is 19 (but he will always be about the age of 12 emotionally because of his Autism)... but he is high functioning and verbal. Both of which are a blessing.

Sadly he is past the days of Camp Carnival and Club O2 because he really LOVED Club 02. But he gotten to experience 19 times out of the 35 cruises he has done. So he has great memories.....

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Quote:
We just left the pier an hour late. Some guests were delayed and the ship waited for them. I am on 3G with my iPad and I love it! But it will end soon and I will have to use ship's Internet.

More tomorrow.
Thank you so much for the review, we are heading out on the Elation on Aug 23rd. Also staying at the Renessance. We did the same itinerary,same hotel, same time of the year, last year but different ship. We were on the Holiday.

Oh ya i wanted to ask, my phone is 3G (an android) just trying to get used to it, Since i havent left our county with the phone i have a question i am hoping you can answer. Will it cost me money to use it outside of my calling area? not to call or text but to use msn, and the internet? Since we are driving down from Ontario, Canada I want to use it to make a hotel reservation on the drive down through Hotwire. Since I dont know how far I will make it the first day. Any help would be greatly aprreciated Thanks.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the comments about self-debarkation. We are cruising the end of August out of Baltimore - so we will be driving about 4 hours. The friends who are joining us want to do SD...so we can hurry up and get off the ship. Huh? I mean, we like to eat a nice breakfast and enjoy the last of our vacation. Plus, with 4 kids it is NOT easy to lug all that stuff around...so we told them to do what they want. These friends are also taking their 2 children for the first time (this is only the parent's second cruise), while this will be our kid's 3rd. So, a couple of weeks ago they wanted to know what night the kids need to eat with us. What? Seems they plan on letting the kids eat at the buffet every night while we enjoy the MDR. Well, we eat as a family every night at home, so we have always eaten in the dining room every night on our cruises. Never gave it a second thought. Their kids don't want to "dress up" - Mom has them convinced we have to wear cocktail dresses and suits every night! Should be an interesting cruise!
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
I agree with the comments about self-debarkation. We are cruising the end of August out of Baltimore - so we will be driving about 4 hours. The friends who are joining us want to do SD...so we can hurry up and get off the ship. Huh? I mean, we like to eat a nice breakfast and enjoy the last of our vacation. Plus, with 4 kids it is NOT easy to lug all that stuff around...so we told them to do what they want. These friends are also taking their 2 children for the first time (this is only the parent's second cruise), while this will be our kid's 3rd. So, a couple of weeks ago they wanted to know what night the kids need to eat with us. What? Seems they plan on letting the kids eat at the buffet every night while we enjoy the MDR. Well, we eat as a family every night at home, so we have always eaten in the dining room every night on our cruises. Never gave it a second thought. Their kids don't want to "dress up" - Mom has them convinced we have to wear cocktail dresses and suits every night! Should be an interesting cruise!
Wow that will be interesting. It sounds like the two families are very different. This could be a challenge for you if the other family wants to do everything together and their way. Good Luck. I hope it works out and everyone has a great time.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I already told them to each their own...I am not going to try and tell them what to do, and hopefully they feel the same way! As for the kids and dinner...ours WANT to eat in the MDR. They enjoy getting to know our servers and being able to try foods. My 16 y.o dd has been telling the kids they are crazy to want to eat at the buffet every night. Not going to sweat it, or ruin our vacation....because this is my 40th Bday party!!!!
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Captain

We have cruised with Carnival many times including several times out of Mobile. Our December cruise will be the first time on the Elation and we look forward to seeing the ship. If you posted the name of the CD, I must have missed it. Can you post that info please and also let us know which shows are being performed in the theatre. We have seen repeat performances of many of the shows and hope to see something new with the Elation.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Captain

We enjoy dinner in the MDA and split our breakfast and lunches between the Dining Room and the buffet. Most of the time it is just my DH and I or another adult couple or two. We have been fortunate to take our grandchildren on two cruises - ages ranging from 6 to 18 and they all love the MDA experience as well. They like getting dressed up on Elegant night and wear little sundresses (girls) khakis and sportshirts or golf shirts (boys) the other nights.

Any time we cruise with others, we let them know what our plans are and say that they are welcome to join us at any time, but also tell them to please not feel that they are obligated to spend all their time with. We don't like to feel that we are "joined at the hip" and enjoy our time with just the two of us. We do try to get everyone together for dinner though and this has always worked well for us.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Steve Knisley is scheduled to be the CD on the Elation in December.

The production shows on our July 10 cruise were: Rhythm, and Spin.
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Captain

Thanks for the info. I've never had the pleasure of cruising with Steve and don't think I have ever seen either of those shows. I am really looking forward to seeing a new production show. We had hoped that this with the repositioning of this ship it would bring some new shows.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Beginner

I have to admit, the ONLY reason I knew about the suite, is because we are sailing on her next month!

-----------------

Last edited by Trip; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spam in post
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Beginner

I have to admit, the ONLY reason I knew about the suite, is because we are sailing on her next month

----------------------
***edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; September 9th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Beginner

I think we are looking at a mostly cloudy, passing shower kind of day in Cozumel. I probably spoke too soon in my previous praises for the fine weather we had.

------------------
***Edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; September 15th, 2010 at 09:53 AM.