Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Passenger

Default Angry at Carnival

Hey everyone, may need some help with this one, does anyone know the cancellation or pricing policies of Carnival? The reason I'm asking is:

Saturday, (7-10-10) I booked 2 category 6D cabins for the Elation leaving Mobile, AL on 8-14-10. Total price was $1077.80 per cabin. Tonight I go on Carnival's website and the same ship, same sailing is now offering upgrades from 6A-6D PLUS $40.00 onboard credit per person. Since we have four people going that is $160.00 in onboard credit. Factor in the upgrades and I'm losing another $100.00 per cabin. So in 3 days time I'm essentially paying $360.00 more than anyone who books today. Am I screwed or do I have options? I plan on calling in the morning to chat with my "Personal Vacation Planner."
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Admiral

How did you book? It makes a difference. ES or any discount programs?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Don't be angry, be HAPPY! Carnival is giving you a pretty good chance to get an even better deal than you already had, so give your PVC a call, and at least give them a chance to help you out. It appears to me that you had a fair price already, so if you get anything at all, it'll just be "icing on the cake". Since you're so close to sailing, and I don't know how the cruise was booked, I have no idea how they'll handle it, but call, and don't yell and scream at the PVC. I'll bet they'll make it right for you. Have faith, and if not,,,,well,,,,you had a good deal already.

"SKY"
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Good luck - I hope you can get a discount. This type of thing happens all the time in the travel world.

Since you booked about a month out, I'm not sure if you will be given the lower price or not. You are acting quickly and that is a good thing. Carnival offers a guaranteed lowest rate fare, but it requires booking five months out.

Carnival's cancellation policy is on their website and in your cruise documents. I don't know of anybody who publishes their pricing policy - that is usually a closely guarded marketing strategy.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Passenger

I booked through Carnival, over the phone, I know I got a good price, it was one of the reasons I chose this cruise. I think booking this late in the game helped me with cost, but that new deal is much sweeter. I'd like to get the PVP just to put the difference to my onboard credit. I'm just wondering if anyone has had success getting them to honor their own better deal, and was wondering what worked better, sweet or sour?
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
First Mate

Always sweet not sour :-)

Need some cruise help?
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Captain

I booked the Splendor on Early Saver on Nov. 28th for $409 per person plus taxes...
It's now at $509 for the inside cabin...
Doubt if it will dip below the $409 but I do check it every day...
I always use the Early Saver but you will forfeit your $500 deposit if you back out...
Good luck on your call to the PVP

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randino View Post
Hey everyone, may need some help with this one, does anyone know the cancellation or pricing policies of Carnival? The reason I'm asking is:

Saturday, (7-10-10) I booked 2 category 6D cabins for the Elation leaving Mobile, AL on 8-14-10. Total price was $1077.80 per cabin. Tonight I go on Carnival's website and the same ship, same sailing is now offering upgrades from 6A-6D PLUS $40.00 onboard credit per person. Since we have four people going that is $160.00 in onboard credit. Factor in the upgrades and I'm losing another $100.00 per cabin. So in 3 days time I'm essentially paying $360.00 more than anyone who books today. Am I screwed or do I have options? I plan on calling in the morning to chat with my "Personal Vacation Planner."
First of all, you have no right to be "angry" at Carnival.

You need to be angry at all cruise lines, because they all operate the same way.

When cabins do not sell, cruise lines offer incentives.

At least with Carnival, if you want to be guaranteed you will get any price reductions up until 2 days before you sail....you can book Early Saver.

But that also comes with restrictions...you can't add people at the last minute, you can't change the booking in any way and if you cancel, you lose $50 per person as a cancellation penalty along with some other restrictions with your deposit or money paid.

If you DO NOT book Early Saver, once you pass the final payment date, there will not be any OBC issued. (they used to, but changed it when they started offering Early Saver) You CAN however, get an upgrade is the price difference is large enough AND cabins are available.

Btw, don't ever fly. No one on an airplane pays the same price for a seat.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Early Saver only applies to cruises booked thre months ahead (cruises of 5 days or less) or five months ahead (cruises of 6 days or longer).

Looks like you only booked one month in advance.

I understand it is frustrating and you never know what you will get by asking, but cruise ship pricing is that way, and I dont see you qualifying for any discount.

It is exactly like air or the stock market - you pay when you think you see the best price and hope for the best.

By the way - you did have 48 hours to look for a better price and had you seen it you could have applied for a shipboard credit = to 110% of the price difference.

Ask your agent when the price dropped and "maybe" if it dropped within 48 hours of you booking they will let you slide into that 48 hour window, but the policy says you have to see it and make your application within 48 hours of making the booking - so I wouldn't expect anything.

It's just the way it is. Sorry.

You can always pretend you checked back and the price went up. Then you would be happy but still paying the same price. In other words, I wouldn't let it ruin my vacation, because there is probably nothing you can do about it.
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Passenger

I understand what everyone is saying and I appreciate the help. But yea I am probably SOL because I booked so late and I'm already paid in full. I can't get an upgrade because I'm already in the highest available oceanview except for the Grand Suite and I know they won't bump me to that. This won't ruin my vacation I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I call. I was just thinking with it changing so soon after I booked I might have some action I can take, but we'll see. Going to call now. Thanks again.
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I understand what everyone is saying and I appreciate the help. But yea I am probably SOL because I booked so late and I'm already paid in full. I can't get an upgrade because I'm already in the highest available oceanview except for the Grand Suite and I know they won't bump me to that. This won't ruin my vacation I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I call. I was just thinking with it changing so soon after I booked I might have some action I can take, but we'll see. Going to call now. Thanks again.
I would suggest you still have a talk with your PVP. It could be that if the different is several hundred dollars....that a jump to a Cat 11 on Veranda (I don't know all the new terms) is not out of the question (if it is available).

We were upgraded from free from a 6B (interior) to an 8K (balcony on the Spa deck) in January. That is a pretty big jump.

Now of course, they are going to try to UPSELL those Cat 11 and 12 that are available first...but if they can't....you might have a shot.

Certainly worth telling your PVP to give a look.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Passenger

Well I called and of course it was a no go, the PVP said she couldn't do anything but she said she would transfer to me to a supervisor, and they probably wouldn't do anything, but it wouldn't hurt to try. So I did, and couldn't get anything changed, but I felt the supervisor was very rude with me and didn't even give me a chance to argue or state why I should be able to get something from it. I was very offended by her attitude, after all that I sent an email to the PVP telling her about it and she is wanting me to call so she can apologize, but I don't need an apology from her. But I might ask about that upgrade again. I doubt they will do it because the next room up is a Grand Suite and I don't see them making that move. Ya don't know to you ask though, there are still at least 10 Grand Suites available for the cruise that leaves in 31 days.
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I would suggest you still have a talk with your PVP. It could be that if the different is several hundred dollars....that a jump to a Cat 11 on Veranda (I don't know all the new terms) is not out of the question (if it is available).

We were upgraded from free from a 6B (interior) to an 8K (balcony on the Spa deck) in January. That is a pretty big jump.

Now of course, they are going to try to UPSELL those Cat 11 and 12 that are available first...but if they can't....you might have a shot.

Certainly worth telling your PVP to give a look.

Which date are you cruising the Elation? I'm on the 5 day on the 14th.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Which date are you cruising the Elation? I'm on the 5 day on the 14th.

We are right behind you on the 4 day August 19th....this is a quickie we squeezed in for our oldest son before he starts his Senior Year in college...

he has been doing a one year Internship at Eastman Chemical (Chemical Engineer) and missed all but two of our cruises in the past year because of it.....

Old July 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
We are right behind you on the 4 day August 19th....this is a quickie we squeezed in for our oldest son before he starts his Senior Year in college...

he has been doing a one year Internship at Eastman Chemical (Chemical Engineer) and missed all but two of our cruises in the past year because of it.....
We almost took that one, but my wife decided she'd rather do 5 days instead of 4, plus my daughter and a friend are going and with that date we would have gotten home the day before school started back.