CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   'free cruise' thru time share deal? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/375201-free-cruise-thru-time-share-deal.html)

americanmama July 13th, 2010 12:09 PM

'free cruise' thru time share deal?

I seem to remember reading about this not long ago, but I have not been able to find the thread or post on it, hopefully someone can help:D At the time I didn't think much of it, however, we have now received an 'invitation' to attend a time share demo in New Orleans, in return we receive a 'free' cruise...fine print says pay port charges, etc... I am wondering if anyone has done this before and how much the fees actually add up to? And of course I am assuming that it would be one of the cheaper cabins, interior...wondering if it's possible to upgrade to ov. Gotta feeling would be better off waiting till we take a 7 day with a balcony, but hey..if it is reasonable:D thanks in advance for any and all advice...

dhudd July 13th, 2010 03:50 PM

We attended one of those a while back. The company that was giving away the SO CALLED FREE CRUISE was SHUT DOWN by the State of Florida for fraud! We didn't know the state shut them down until we received a letter from the State of Florida. We paid a $500.00 deposit and didn't pay any more because we booked the cruise one year out and we would have paid the remainder later on. We tried to get our money refunded by filing through the state of Florida, but the state couldn't locate them...they took off, and we were out $500.00. SO BE CAREFULL! That was the one and only time that we didn't go through our Travel Agent. Also purchase Travel Insurance.

Trip July 13th, 2010 05:01 PM

Think, Sea Bus, and save your money!

americanmama July 13th, 2010 06:51 PM

oh my! dhudd that is terrible!! We will definitely be checking out this company with bbb before sending any deposits! Sure hope this is not the same company that got shut down in FL.

ok Trip, I'll bite.....What is Sea-Bus? :?:

Trip July 13th, 2010 07:25 PM

Simple transportation to get you from point a to point b.....In Florida, they used to have the Sea Escape,and the Discovery. The Imperial Majesty is another, that is mentioned in many of these free cruises.

We took the Sea Escape to get to Freeport, for a day excursion years ago, hence, my term the sea bus...Honestly I cannot imagine being on it longer than a day. These are a far cry from any real cruise. I think the Discovery was once a ferry in Scandinavia. When you check them out, also check out their safety records.

Fern July 13th, 2010 09:41 PM

Ummmm! Run away! Run away! :-x

Manuel July 13th, 2010 10:07 PM

don't do it!

it's a ripoff!

TM

Ron July 14th, 2010 12:15 AM

If you haven't already put money into it, ---DON'T-- drop it like a hot potato.

skymaster July 14th, 2010 09:20 AM

If it's anything at all, it'll be some line you probably never heard of. The cruise will be a "gambling boat" most likely. If it does happen to be a cruise line that you've heard of before, the taxes and fees involved will equal or surpass the total cost of the cruise if you went to a T.A. and bought it, and you won't be able to select the date you want to cruise,,,they'll do that for you!
Don't walk away,,,,RUN! :shock:

"SKY"

katlady July 14th, 2010 09:30 AM

If you take the company's name from the certificate for a free cruise and put it in a google or yahoo search with quote marks around it I'm sure you would see a bunch of complaints. They get you money then sudden the date isn't available the deposit is much more then "real" port fees should be. My hubby and I got one of these once. I researched it then put the certificate in the circular file.;) The one I got was for a Carnival Cruise in a 1A cabin the "port fee" were about $250 for a 4 day cruise.:shock:

Donna July 14th, 2010 10:23 AM

Just forget about it and do your own cruise.

dhudd July 14th, 2010 12:10 PM

You should check with the Florida State authoritys before you do anything.

americanmama July 14th, 2010 01:26 PM

It is actually a Carnival Cruise, however they are not a sponsor...it does go out of New Orleans is the 4 day to Cozumel..during the fall/winter season . DH has requested more info. They are reallly making it sound good to him:D But, we could probably do a better deal ourselves! Looking on Carnival website, the cheapest cabins are 379. for October and 359 for November...not a huge savings for something that is supposed to be "free"! (if it is 250 in 'fees')

Ron July 14th, 2010 01:56 PM

You have to make up your own mind but you have been forewarned !!
:) :) :)

Fern July 14th, 2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmama (Post 1303391)

It is actually a Carnival Cruise, however they are not a sponsor...it does go out of New Orleans is the 4 day to Cozumel..during the fall/winter season . DH has requested more info. They are reallly making it sound good to him:D But, we could probably do a better deal ourselves! Looking on Carnival website, the cheapest cabins are 379. for October and 359 for November...not a huge savings for something that is supposed to be "free"! (if it is 250 in 'fees')

Have you shown DH this thread? Again, I'll say "Run away, run away!" . If it sounds too good to be true... .:shock:

americanmama July 15th, 2010 11:50 AM

thanks all, I knew I could count on you :) I was just putting some numbers together to show dh...this is for a 'free' cruise

"charges and fees" $275 x 2 = $550
"parking (guesstimeate) 30
'gas for traveling both ways 70
'insurance..gotta have it! 200
tips money (if not included) 100

this so called free cruise is over $900!! lol I do believe I can do find a better deal on my ownLOL

Trip July 15th, 2010 04:23 PM

Smart cookie you!

Manuel July 18th, 2010 01:04 PM

No one is going to give you a free cruise!

TM