Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser--Credit Card Question

I am going on my first cruise in a little over a week. As I was filling out my fun pass, I came to the onboard account section. I fully understand what this is, but I was just curious as to what many of you think? Do you usually set up a cash account, or go ahead and put up a credit card for your cruise expenses?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Captain

We use a Debit Card, Carnival will lock up funds in your account for the cruise...
I beleive it is $200 a person so that means you have to have at least $400 in the bank...
I may be wrong on the $200 amount though....
You can also do the Cash...
Happy Cruise...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Admiral

I would say that most people will register a credit card onboard, you sign for everyyhing on the ship & they just take it from that card at the end. I would advise against a debit card as any amounts taken are taken directly from your personal account, any amounts taken "on account" in advance are also your actual money, as are any amounts taken in error. This can seriously affect your finances, payment of regular bills etc
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As a first time cruiser you are probably worried your spending will go out of control.

First of all - I do not how anything about your financial situation so I should not make assumptions.

I will tell you I always just use a credit card and I try not to think about budgetting. I look at the cost of everything, but I do not keep a running total in my head. Some people do - and you can probably access your acct anytime you want on your TV.

Remember, they will add gratuities to your acct at $10 per guest per day. Plus your drinks and shore tours. It can add up quickly. But also remember that you paid a lot of money just to be in the Caribbean - so don't skimp on a once in a lifetime opportunity you really want to do. You may not be back for a long time.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Paul I'm some people, I can't help it my brain keeps a tab of all the charges without meaning to. I also use a credit card I won't use a debit card as it's easier to dispute charges on a credit card. You can use the Folio number on your sail and sign card to access your account on your cabin's TV. If you have any questions you can go down to the purser's office to discuss any issues. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

I always use a Credit Card now. On one cruise I used a Debit Card and near the end of my cruise my onboard card was denied because as my account went up, they increased the hold on my card every night to the point where it eventually overwhelmed my checking account to which my debit card was attached. My $500 onboard account had over $1500 in holds on my card! So now I only use a credit card.

Here is a couple of ways I keep my onboard account in check now. First, I have a neat little app for my IPod Touch called "Cruise Card". It keeps track of your onboard account. With each purchase, you enter the amount and the catagory into the app, and at any time you can see what you have spent and what you have spent it on. Second, I now try to do as much pre-purchasing as possible. I download the shore excursions and tr to reserve the ones I want and pre-pay for them, along with stuff like specialty restaurants and stuff like that.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Admiral

We have always used a credit card.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I download the shore excursions and tr to reserve the ones I want and pre-pay for them, along with stuff like specialty restaurants and stuff like that.
Which cruise lines allow you to do this now? I know RCL does, but I also know NCL did not pre-charge my credit card when I made reservations online pre-cruise (they all went on my onboard acct)
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! I will definitely have to check into that App. I have an IPod Touch, and I think that would be great.

Paul, I am one of those people that definitely keeps up with it in my head! Just can't help it!
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Which cruise lines allow you to do this now? I know RCL does, but I also know NCL did not pre-charge my credit card when I made reservations online pre-cruise (they all went on my onboard acct)
Primarily RCI. On many cruises, RCI lets you reserve shore excursions, specialty restaurant dining times, and even spa appointments. In each case, they will require a credit card and charge your credit card. We are doing this for our upcoming Europe cruise. 2 years ago on the Adventure OTS, we could only pre-purchase shore excursions and specialty restaurants, Spa was not yet available then. Last year on the Ruby Princess, we reserved some shore excursions, but Princess did not require a credit card and charged them to our onboard account, although due to the weather and cancelled port stops, we were never charged at all as we never got to take the excursions.

In both cases, all our reservation tickets and confirmations were waiting for us onboard. I know someone will ask about cancellation for pre-paid excursions and other reservations. I do know that on RCI, we were able to turn in a pair of pre-paid excursion tickets and have the amount paid applied toward other excursion tickets because we just wanted to switch excursions. We didn't try, but I am fairly certain I remember a disclaimer when we purchased the excursions that sales were final unless the excursion was cancelled by the cruiseline. But as I said, they did let us turn them in for other excursions. I don't know about the specialty restaurants or the spa appointments, my educated guess is if you pre-pay for them, they will not let you cancel and get your money back.

Also, neither RCI or Princess would allow you to reserve anything until AFTER final payment was made. I do not know about Carnival. My one Carnival cruise on the Carnival Liberty did not allow any pre-purchases. I have not looked into anything for my upcoming Carnival Spirit cruise, as I am sailing that cruise solo, and I have little intention of even getting off the ship.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Just checked out the iPod app. Looks good. Thanks for the info.;-)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Admiral

A couple of add ons here. The Cruise Card App also has a neat cruise countdown clock on it. You can do multiple cruise countdowns on it. (Disclaimer - I have nothing to do with the owners of this app, I had no hand in its creation or in selling it and I make no money from it. I'm just a fan of it)

Looking at the RCI web site this morning, looks like you can also pre-purchase drink and wine packages before your voyage. There is also a link to pre-purchase "Gifts and Gear" as well. I don't know if this is for every RCI cruise, or just selected ones.

Of course I don't want to pre-purchase everything. I do have a nice $450 OBC to use, so if I purchase everything ahead of time, what will I use the OBC for? We are not big drinkers! However, I do like the option of being able to get some shore excursions reserved before they sell out, reserve a spa appointment or specialty restaurant dining time ahead of the sailing to ensure we get the times we want. Not having to run all over the ship on our 1st day to make these reservations is kind of nice. The price is the same pre-purchase or onboard.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Captain

Last year on Celebrity we pre-purchased our shore excursions, put them on our credit card and paid the bill before we cruised. Nice not having that HUGE on board account to deal with when the cruise is over. I assumed all cruise lines did this but apparently not:eek:
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Don't see the point of pre-paying anything, why give 'em the money any earlier than you need to?
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Don't see the point of pre-paying anything, why give 'em the money any earlier than you need to?
To get the shore excursions, specialty dining times and spa appointments we want. They may be sold out if I wait until the cruise.

For my wife and I, it has almost become a ritual where when we get on the ship, we first have to go to the shore excursion desk, spa and specialty restaurant to make reservations. Now, we do that ahead of time before the cruise and when we get onboard, we can just relax and enjoy lunch at the buffet.

It's just a matter of preference. It doesn't cost any more or less to do it this way.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Don't mind pre-booking it's the pre-paying bit I don't like!! Thing is with P&O you can book excursions & pay on board, can't pre-book restaurants though. Our recent Celebrity cruise we could pre-book everything but had to pre-pay, it was no big deal!!
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi John - I thinkyou contradict yourself (not a big deal, though).

with RCL & Celebrity you will be pre-charged when you make a reservation online. I agree with you that I dont really like that, but my understand is that if you change your mind onboard it is not a big deal for them to take the charge off BUT I believe they claim a 24 or 48-hour window before the reservation event after which you cannot cancel.

But - my gut feeling is that if you reserve and pay for something 2 months ahead, and then get on the ship and have to cancel (say a shore excursion) the same afternoon that they will take it off your bill. They just had your money for two months, but you got it back.

This is NOT verified though (read my disclaimer below). They can always so "so solly, we got youl money and you ruse"
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Admiral

We always use a credit card. It's easier to dispute (although we've never had to) and we get Princess Points on our card.

Pre-booking is good, pre-paying, not so much... . Unless we MUST, we don't pre-pay anything. We prefer that our $ work for us in our bank account. We know how much we can spend and (usually ) stay within that amount.

Maybe it's because we're "old" and experienced in cruising!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
First Mate

My wife and I always use a Credit Card, we also make sure that when we board our balance is "0" just in case we go over a little. We also keep track of our spending, but we always have a great time, always. Have a great trip, and keep cruising.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John - I thinkyou contradict yourself (not a big deal, though).

I said I didn't like it not that I never did it!
Both systems work fine, on =X= I could book restaurants which was important especially for Qsine on the inaugral of Eclipse, on P&O you can't pre-reserve restaurants but you can book trips without payment.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Familiar Face

With the prebooking, I made reservations a few weeks ago for the Steakhouse and don't have to pay until we are onto the ship. I guess it depends on what is being booked beforehand.

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Captain

Seems silly to prebook and prepay dinner reservations. Even spa appts can wait till you board. I have never had an issue getting into the Supper Club. Reserving a day before I want to eat has never been a problem. Just be a little flexible in your dining times and all will be well. Now if you want to prepay a popular shore excursion or one with a small amount of people allowed on the tour I can see the advantage of that. Otherwise wait till you board.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas