Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Default Isla Rotan-Belize on the Legend

We are very close to booking a trip on the Legend for next July out of Tampa. Ports of Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Isla Rotan and Belize. We really want to do the river tubing in Belize. I know a while back there was some concern on this excursion.

Any feedback on the ship, ports, and excursions? Its not going to be a cheap one for us so I want to do my homework.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
First Mate

We are taking that same cruise in October. We also did that same ports last year on a different ship. Some of the ports are getting a little repetitive but there are still things we havenít done and the price is right. June, July, and August are higher because school is out but we have a balcony on the Empress deck for $670. July will be quite warm so take plenty of sun screen and also insect repellent if you take excursions into the forests.

Tampa Ė Easy to get to the port and checkin is pretty quick. Arriving before 11:30 we were on the ship within 45 minutes.

Legend Ė I havenít been on her yet, but really enjoyed the Miracle, another Spirit class ship.

Belize Ė The cave tubing problem happened when an operator took a group in while the water was too high for the number of guides provided. Carnival stopped selling the excursion while they reworked some of the commitments with the vendors. The excursion is available again and purportedly will be safer than before. Belize is a poor third world country that has beautiful rain forests. The government has set aside and maintains many ecological parks. Make sure to take an excursion that gets you out of the city and into the rain forest. Donít get stuck staying in Belize City there is a small shopping area at the port and a local market outside of the gates but donít wander too far beyond that on your own. The ship drops anchor quite away from the port and itís a long tender ride in but the boats are fast and almost feel like an extra excursion by themselves. They are building a dock in another area but I donít know when it will be ready.

Isla Rotan Ė They have built a new port there since my last visit. Apparently you can take a ski lift type ride straight from the port to a nearby beach. That looks pretty cool. This is another location that is fairly primitive and un-spoiled. Enjoy it while you can, it will likely become built up like Cozumel and St Thomas within a few more years. The country side is quaint and beautiful. We took the Monkeys, Parrots, and Pirates excursion. The pirate part is a bit hokey, but the nature walk and interaction with the Parrots and Monkeys was nice. At the end you are invited to say at their beach and given the schedule for buses going back to the ship. Local cooking is available for purchase on site. We passed the zip lines several times on our bus ride to the park. The mountain top views of the forests and ocean are just spectacular.

Grand Cayman Ė The area has become a lot more urban since our first stop here 8 years ago. There is a lot of money on the island from international banking and tourism. Shopping here is going to be on the high end scale with limited bargains. Definitely do the Stingray City tour. Itís like playing with puppies in waist deep water. This is one of the stops where itís pretty safe to book your excursion locally, but this is another port that uses tenders so leave plenty of time to get back and make sure you get in the right line. Several ships will be in port and tendering from the same pier, but the lines are clearly marked. Seven Mile beach gets pretty crowded but I hear there are other that are nicer.

Cozumel Ė This was once like Isla Rotan but is now very urban. The shopping is very good here and there are plenty of beaches and tours to choose from. Swimming with the dolphins is great but be prepared to pay a lot for the photos and videos they take. A family of 4 can easily spend $100 on them. It is in a large eco park and after your swim you are allowed to stay at the park and use the beach. The ship is docked so there is usually time to take an excursion in the morning and spend the afternoon sightseeing or shopping.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Default Been There - Done That - Twice Now

I just posted a review of my second LEGEND experience below including some info on my cave tubing excursion; for more on that see cave-tubing.com.

Carnival LEGEND - My Review

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoors27

I have to admit I have been out of cruising for 5 years now since my wife and I started the family but we went to Belize on the Valor in 2005 and loved the cave tubing. We did not book the tubing through the ship and went with an outside company. Obviouslly we saved a ton of money and went with a group of 10 counting us compared to much larger groups from the ship. We also had a great guide who was from Belize and went to college in the US. He was extremely informative as we walked through the rainforest to the area where the tubes were dropped in the water.

As far as your ship goes I love the Spirit class ships. There not the biggest but they are nice. Enjoy
Britanis 1985
Carnival Fantasy 1992
Carnival Destiny 1998
Carnival Destiny 1999
Carnival Victory 2002
Carnival Pride 2004
Carnival Valor 2005
Carnival Freedom 2011

Carnival Breeze (Hopefully June or July 2012)
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Beginner

We're taking this one in November... newbies to all these places. We were thinking about doing Stingray City on our own or locally, vs. the excursion, in Grand Cayman.
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Passenger

I'm pretty sure we have decided to take this cruise next summer. Bob, can you let me know how it goes for you in October? Thanks for all the info.
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

It's been a while (2004), but my family and I loved the cave tubing! Unfortunately, though it is a simple thing, I am tubing challenged. I don't know why, but I have no control over where we go...my 11 year old and I were holding on to each other and he started drifting to a dark, separate area. Thankfully, one of the guides swam over and got him (because I, his mother, was useless!) and brought him back.... the guide kind of stayed near us, but I was always "bringing up the rear". Though the poor guy must have been frustrated, he swam over, with a friendly smile, and "tugged" us for the remainder of the excursion.... I don't think we are typical as my husband and 15 year old son were at the front of the group and had a great time!....well, it sure made memories for us
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalmie View Post
I'm pretty sure we have decided to take this cruise next summer. Bob, can you let me know how it goes for you in October? Thanks for all the info.
Will do, I'm always glad to share my cruises with anyone that will listen.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cave Tubing in Belize with X-stream

We LOVED X-stream Belize Cave Tubing we did it once just the two of us and then our next cruise we brought the kids and they also did it. We felt very safe both times, they are a great operation and it was so much fun
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalmie View Post
We are very close to booking a trip on the Legend for next July out of Tampa. Ports of Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Isla Rotan and Belize. We really want to do the river tubing in Belize. I know a while back there was some concern on this excursion.

Any feedback on the ship, ports, and excursions? Its not going to be a cheap one for us so I want to do my homework.

Thanks
I'll let you know in a few weeks after i get back!
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Captain

We did this cruise in Jan and loved every thing about it. We were with a group of 88 so that helped make it fun. In Grd Cayman we did the Sting Ray thing for about the 5th time and this one was the best. In Coz. we decided to do something different and booked a Dune Buggy excursion. Boy were we glad we did that it was a ball. These two excursions were booked by our travel agent with a company other than the cruise line. It was sooooo much better than the cruise ship excursions. Smaller groups, nicer equipment, and much better guides. In Belize we just did some site seeing on our own since it was our first time there. Got a taxi for a short tour. It was nice but next time I'll see what excursions I can get from our TA. Roatan was great. We hired a driver at the pier from Victor Boden tours. He was fantastic, gave us a great tour of the island then took us to a beautiful beach club where we relaxed for about 3 hours. This was one of the most beautiful beaches we have seen in our 30 plus years of cruising. We are now looking into going to Roatan for a week in the future.
Hope all goes well on your cruise and if I can give you any advice just send me personal message.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
We are taking that same cruise in October. We also did that same ports last year on a different ship. Some of the ports are getting a little repetitive but there are still things we havenít done and the price is right. June, July, and August are higher because school is out but we have a balcony on the Empress deck for $670. .

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Just curious, is that $670 per person or for 2?
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Roatan was a port on our last cruise. Carnival has a brand new wonderful private dock there called Mahogany Bay. It has everything that you need with restaurants, shops, beach access, etc that would cost very little if you are choosing a beach day.

We took a ship's excursion to Gumbalimba park. As someone mentioned earlier, it was called the Pirates, Birds, and Monkeys of the Caribbean. The park was beautiful and the monkey interaction was hilarious. We watch them pick some guy's pocket, steal another man's cigarette and then EAT it. You could also allow them to climb on you. We did and it was a lot of fun watching them inspect my daughter's ears (looking for yummy things to eat?) They did have a beach and zip lines as well even though we didn't make use of them.

In my opinion, take a ship's excursion if you are not going to stay at Mahagony Bay. The island is gorgeous, but there is obviously EXTREME poverty (as witnessed in our 30 min bus ride) and there are armed guards EVERYWHERE - at the dock entrance, at the entrances to stores, banks, etc. It was a great visit, but I really would not have felt safe organizing something on my own here.
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
First Mate

No that is each. Still less than $200 per day.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question....

Have you ever taken the 7-night caribbean cruise to half moon cay, charlotte amalie, san juan and grand turk island? Just curious if you liked it better than the cozumel/belize/roatan, grand cayman one....

Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Normally do the Carnival Legend in late October, early November for my "birthday cruise"... took one last year in May and it was unbearably HOT... even stayed on the ship for Coz and Cayman. Really HOT.

Roatan... go to the West End Beach. Not much of a beach, but Sundowner's bar is right on the beach and friendly.

Belize... cave tubing is good. I have used Reggie in the past, but I'm (regrettably) a bit old for the 45 minute hike up the hill now. He'll take you anywhere you want to go... used him for Monkey preserve, zoo, ruins, and anything else in Belize.

Cayman... anybody on the dock will take you to Stingray City for half the price of the cruise excursion, and you won't be with 100 other people... just remember to keep your thumb inside your fist! )

Have fun! And expect it to be HOT in the tropics in summer.

Clamshell