Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Convince Me...to book Carnival

My husband and I have cruised many times, and have tried most cruise lines.
We are presently researching a special one to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and weighing the pros and cons of Carnival vs other lines.
If Carnival is your favourite line, convince me why we should book them again...

donna
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Donna,

We have cruised many different lines, and we keep coming back to Carnival because they supply a great product at a reasonable price. The food on our last few Royal Caribbean cruises has not held a candle to the quality of the food on Carnival the last few years. The cabins are known for being among the largest of all the lines, even the standard inside cabins. Is it a luxury line? No. Is some of the ship decor a little avant garde, even considered by some to be gaudy or outlandish? Yes, at times, but it's always interesting, and I don't find it to be a negative in any way. We still look for special cruises on other lines and choose whichever cruise suits us best for that particular itinerary, time frame and price. But we always end up sticking a Carnival cruise or two in there in between because of the value. Also, because of Jose's work schedule, he is only allowed to take vacation from May through September, and most other lines don't offer much in the Caribbean during those months, so that's a deciding factor too.

We're currently scheduled on a Mexican Riviera 7-day cruise on the Carnival Splendor on 9/26/10. We did the same itinerary on the same ship last year in early July and enjoyed it very much.

Let me know of any specific questions or concerns, and I'll see if I can answer them fro you.
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Karaoke EVERY NIGHT!

"SKY"
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Admiral

I need Zydeocruiser's help on this I'm going to borrow some pictures from the blog. Here is a link. Carnival Cruise Line Menus - Food* Pictures
Why I like Carnival is:
Warm Chocolate Melting cake.

corned beef and pastrami sandwich made to order at the deli

Prime Rib

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival is a good value for the price. For an anniversary celebration, I would choose a cruise 7 days or longer in length, at a time of the year when most schools are in session.

I like Carnival's food, especially in the main dining room. Good entertainment too.

Shelby
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Price unless that dosen't matter, 90% of the cruise is no different then any other line. We did 24 with Carnival and never had a problem, except with airlines. Everytime we look at other lines we end up back with carnival because of price.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna,

Carnival will give you more bang for your buck. The food is usually excellent and it has more "fun" activities that I know you like. They also have very nice sized cabins but there are few suite amenities.

The negatives, from my perspective, are:

The decor. On most ships it is too over the top for my taste. It won't stop me from sailing on a Carnival ship but it is a reason I may choose another cruise line for a similar itinerary and price.

Singing waiter show: Many people love this but I don't. I have noticed on my last two Carnival cruises that they did this less than before. It was only three or four times on the cruise instead of every night.

Limited itineraries: Carnival has a limited presence in Europe and no cruises in Asia, South America or Australia/Oceania.

If you want a good price, for a fun cruise, with a good price then Carnival is for you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:16 AM
First Mate

Good food, great fun, great price, you will love it. Happy 10th anniversary
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

Do you want to have fun? Do you like good food? We do and did and will again on Carnival. We cruised on our 5th, 10th, 15th and are booked for our 20th wedding anniversary aboard the Carnival Glory.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Let me see..... I believe your anniversary is in September. So if you book Carnival Liberty for September 11th 2010 you will get to meet me!!!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

Price!

however with the lower price also comes a few problems.
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd like to insert a question here - I am thinking of a first Carnival cruise too- so, which is better, the Fantasy or Elation.
Both are comparable in price for the date I'm looking at, and I can drive to either.... any opinions....
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Captain

Donna, i would like to offer early congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

Now to your question....
Carnival gives the biggest bang for your vacation dollars. The FUN ships are exactly that, "FUN", From the hairy chest contest to the newly wed game, there is something on board to satisfy everyone from 1 to 100 years of age.

The food on Carnival is 5 star quality food and guess what? If you want to have 5 lobster tails, 3 steaks and 4 chocolate melting cakes it's all up to you, though I don't recommend eating that much. The buffet on many ships also include a Fish and chips station, N.Y. Style deli and an oriental food station not to mention a pizza station and a Dog and Burger grill a plus is soft serve ice cream and yogurt at no additional cost.

Carnival goes all the places in the Caribbean that all the other "more expensive" lines go! I guess the downside to carnival is the limited number of places served by Carnival and the lack of cruises over 8 days but hey, you can't have everything. If the Caribbean is where you want to cruise then you can't beat Carnival!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Diamonds View Post
I'd like to insert a question here - I am thinking of a first Carnival cruise too- so, which is better, the Fantasy or Elation.
Both are comparable in price for the date I'm looking at, and I can drive to either.... any opinions....
Both ships are pretty much the same, both "Fantasy Class", however Elation is 7 years newer than Fantasy. I doubt that you'd see much evidence of that, so I'd base my decision on other factors. If the price is the same, then how about the itinerary? Do you prefer to sail from one port over the other? Which would be easier for you? Either cruise will be GREAT IMO, so pick one,,,,and lets go cruisin'!

"SKY"
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Both ships are pretty much the same, both "Fantasy Class", however Elation is 7 years newer than Fantasy. I doubt that you'd see much evidence of that, so I'd base my decision on other factors. If the price is the same, then how about the itinerary? Do you prefer to sail from one port over the other? Which would be easier for you? Either cruise will be GREAT IMO, so pick one,,,,and lets go cruisin'!

"SKY"
Pretty much the same. The lobby bar area is the biggest difference. The Elation has the best 'water pressure' of any ship I have sailed. I know that's an odd thing to remember, but very true. (3 cruises on each of them)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Thanks to everyone so far for your replies, very helpful and I have to say I agree with most of it!
Laura, sorry, the anniversary is not till Sept. 2011...
KatLady, your food photos are enough to convince anyone!
Sky, I somehow knew you'd say Karaoke! One day we will do it together!

donna
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:

"SKY"
I know the Fantasy went through Dry Dock. But I hadn't heard if the Elation ever went through Dry Dock so maybe the Fantasy would be a little nice. Queen of Diamonds since you are a new cruiser I will explain dry dock. The cruise line takes the ship to a dock for repairs, remodel, and sometimes the addition of features. Carnival did this with the Fantasy class ships about a 1 or 2 years ago. I know the Fantasy at the time of dry dock got the Evolutions of Fun Upgrades. If the Elation hasn't been through Dry dock then the Fantasy could be a bit nicer.

Here is a description of the Evolutions of fun from Carnival's website:
http://www.carnival.com/cms/carnivalmeetings/WhatsnewSept08.pdf
$250 Million ‘Evolutions of Fun’ Product Enhancement Strategy
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION are the first of the line’s eight Fantasy-class ships to undergo an “extreme makeover” with the new “Evolutions of Fun” ship enhancement program. In addition to the new “Carnival WaterWorksSM” aqua parks featuring 300-foot-long corkscrew water slides, water spray park and double-lane racing slides,the initiative includes a new design for the main pool areas, and a “SerenitySM” adults-only deck area. Other features, many of which are already in place, include conference centers, nine-hole mini golf courses, and atrium lobby bars.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; July 30th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Familiar Face

I've only cruised Carnival once....a few years ago for my son's high school graduation present. Here we are again, 5 years later (and a year later than was scheduled) and I'm planning on taking my son on a Christmas cruise for his college graduation.

Got a balcony price in the "Spa" area of $1,420/person (8 night Caribbean leaving 12/23/10) on the DREAM. Ready to pull the trigger after talking to a direct Carnival rep less than 24 hours after the first rep quoted me, only to find they had raised the price by nearly $400 per person on the same exact cabin. Talk about "bait and switch". They talked me out of a repeat cruise with Carnival..
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Elation is in excellent shape. It had a refurb in early 2009 but didn't get all the upgrades such as the water park and big slide. It does have the serenity adult area. To me the ship looked like new with no wear and tear, although the decor makes it clear the ship is from the 1990's. Of course, Fantasy got the full "pimp my ride" treatment.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Of course, Fantasy got the full "pimp my ride" treatment.
HA! Love it! Did it get 20" wheels, and a 750 watt stereo amp in the trunk?

"SKY"
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Thanks Dave I was wondering about that. When I cruised it in 2007 it hadn't gone through dry dock. I think Elation was one of the last ones to go through.

So for Queen of Diamonds if the water park and big slide are important to you then go for the Fantasy. For me; I don't have kids so I don't need the water park; I would go for the Elation. The Elation has been through dry dock more recently, then the Fantasy and both ships have the serenity adult area. I love the adult only areas on the Carnival ships. :-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Donna, why not give Carnival a try and see how they make your 10th special!!!!

Food--excellent and plentiful and usually only ONE pay restaurant (steakhouse) vs 10+ on NCL and 2+ on RCI
Ports-Excellent, and I suggest Liberty to Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk
Cabins--blaconies rock!
Entertainment--need I say more, Punchline comedy club......Tested on te Dream and Glory (I was only the Glory in Janaury) and it is a gret concept and funny comedians!
Value for $$--The best out there....big bag for the buck!!!!!

I hope you have been convinced

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Book Carnival Or We'll Shoot the Dog!

Did that convince you?????????? )

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
HA! Love it! Did it get 20" wheels, and a 750 watt stereo amp in the trunk?"SKY"
That is what it looks like to me. All those new balconies hanging off the sides, big water slide, etc. It is a nautical version of adding a Continental Kit to what was otherwise a nice classic car.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone- I think the Fantasy will be the one!
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Thanks to everyone so far for your replies, very helpful and I have to say I agree with most of it!
Quote:
Laura, sorry, the anniversary is not till Sept. 2011...
KatLady, your food photos are enough to convince anyone!
Sky, I somehow knew you'd say Karaoke! One day we will do it together!

donna
Darn, I am always too early!! But of course you would be welcome to join me for your 9th annivarsary .

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Book Carnival Or We'll Shoot the Dog!

Did that convince you?????????? )

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Take care,
Mike
Not the dog please don't hurt him I will book a cruise right now I promise just let fluffy go. BTW he pees when he is scared.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Well it is hard to change some ones mind, so instead I will share my experience. We are Platinum on RCCL and Princess, We will be Diamond on RCCL after our next cruise. I had a negative opinion of Carnival based on negative comments I had read and hear say. My wife and I tried it with friends and I have nothing bad to say about it other than slow boarding. The food is good (not great), I am not a foodie so thats ok, shows are better than other lines. Over all to quote the lady, it is a fun (ship) experience, and as Mike M said you get a lot of bang for the buck. Best Wishes, Mike
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I booked ............. the Elation on August 14th!
Just could not turn down those last minute sale prices. If they had dropped any lower they would have been paying us to sail.
I'm hoping for fair winds and following seas.
I'll let you all know how it turns out- we are Carnival virgins..