Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Captain

Default Holding chairs in Serenity Area

We love the Serenity Area on Carnival, but have actually found it very difficult to get a lounge chair. We went to the deck overlooking the Serenity area early one mornining, before the area was open for the day. Someone had already put a towel, books etc., on two of the lounge chairs. I really wish that Carnival staff would enforce their rules on this. It seems that a select few, who think that they are the only ones on the ship, always park their belongings on a lounge chair and leave them there all day.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

NBBS, this is a topic, that gets everyone going, and has for years..This is the polite cruisers pet peeve

I think by now ,even the most introverted cruiser, has come to the conclusion, or should have, that, if, after an extended wait for the "missing lazy cruiser," & the chair is only being occupied by a book, and suntan lotion, either move the items, yourself, or have the staff remove them.

When the offenders return, simply refer them to the staff...DONE! I do agree that we should not have to be the chair police,and we do often get posters saying the staff, on some lines have taken the initiative of doing just that.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 2nd, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Admiral

A curling iron?

Anyway these were the posted rules on Sensation

Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Are you talking about the host Mach photo?
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Captain

Zydeco - you are the MAN - you always have great info on here. I hope that they have that sign on the Elation when I board in December.

Trip - I am not really too intimidated to either move the articles or ask the staff to do so. However, the chairs on the Serenity deck are quite limited on some of the ships. So if you wanted to stay around and wait 30 minutes to watch a vacated/held chair, you would need to stand up in a lot of instances. I have also noticed that groups of 3, 4 or 5 people will grab the lounge chairs early and then leave 1 person there to hold the chairs for hours. It does go against my grain to be rude to other cruise passengers, but maybe I will just find one of those chairs with items on it, place the items on the deck and stretch out. If anyone nearby says they are holding the chair, I will just say, "if the person you are holding for returns within 30 minutes, I will be happy to move."
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I bet you that, the pool crew on ships, thinks ignorance is bliss, and only when it is brought to their attention, do they aquiesse, not taking the initative to move things thay have noticed lingering for hrs. Who can blame them actually, because, this may be one place onboard, where tempers could fly, in a heartbeat.....

Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I bet you that, the pool crew on ships, thinks ignorance is bliss, and only when it is brought to their attention, do they aquiesse, not taking the initative to move things thay have noticed lingering for hrs. Who can blame them actually, because, this may be one place onboard, where tempers could fly, in a heartbeat.....
Carnival is often lax at enforcing anything, however, at the Serenity areas on Fantasy class ships, they have these all over the place --

I've never had to, but wouldn't hesitate to order a Pool Attendant and if they find me a chair, might actually order a drink and tip extra to the bar staff and perhaps even something to the pool attendant. The waitstaff does work for tips.

Money talks, BS has their crap moved.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I would love to have a chair hog come here, and, defend their "drop off a book on the chair, and I'll be back soon defense"

Nooooooo one would admit to doing it though....

Old August 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

It does go against my grain to be rude to other cruise passengers, but maybe I will just find one of those chairs with items on it, place the items on the deck and stretch out. If anyone nearby says they are holding the chair, I will just say, "if the person you are holding for returns within 30 minutes, I will be happy to move."[/QUOTE]

I love it and will try it the next time the opportunity presents itself. When my DH and I were on the Noordam last November, we had a small table between our lounge chairs on the pool deck. While we were in the pool, someone had the bar service attendant take the table so they could use it. Meanwhile, our bucket o' beers was placed on the deck!! PS - I had them replace the table. Can you believe it?
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Admiral

For any who don't want to move other people's stuff, just leave it where it is, and move the chair out from under it. Problem solved! :o
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to regularly remind my wife that you simply cant take a vacation away from "those type" of people. I'm still looking for a "cruise for thoughful people only".
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef View Post
I have to regularly remind my wife that you simply cant take a vacation away from "those type" of people. I'm still looking for a "cruise for thoughful people only".
I would like that as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Good luck, we don't even try for a chair around the pool anymore. Depends what ship we are on we bug somewhere else. You do see more people cleaning off a chair and useing it. The furrrr does fly sometimes. Sometimes its just extra entertainment.

I get a little uppy at the people saving rows of seats at the shows. On our last few cruises they had carnival people standing up front and stoped it. That was a surprise. We just went and sat down one time, they had almost a row saved and they got all bent out of shape, I told them to go get security, they got up and left and we got cheers. Its not very hard for Carnival to make things happen if they make rules enforce them.
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef View Post

Sign me up for that one! I don't even care about the itinerary!
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Familiar Face

I had a tussle with a chair hog on my very first cruise. My wife and I went to Serenity, and all the chairs were occupied except for one that just had a towel on it. So we sat on the deck for around 30 minutes, then I asked the guy in the next chair about the empty one. He said he'd been there a while, and no one had been in it as long as he'd been there, so I picked up the towel, intending to hang it over the nearby stair rail. No sooner had I taken a couple of steps than this older lady loudly proclaimed that that was her daughter's chair, that she had just gone to get something to eat, and she would be back soon. I simply told her that we had waited over 30 minutes for the chair and that, if and when her daughter returned, we could discuss it then. I then folded the towel and handed it to her. She took it, but I thought her head was going to explode. So my wife took the chair, and I sat on the deck beside her. A few minutes later, a couple sitting nearby came over and said they were leaving and that we were welcome to take both of their chairs, which we did. We stayed there at least another hour, and, surprise, surprise, the woman's daughter never returned.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Captain

Zydeco, what am I missing? I did not understand the "curling iron?"

I agree with the entire concept of this post on so many levels. Why bother to have rules if you do not enforce them. I'll bet we could come up with quite a list beside saving all manner of seat, smoking only in smoking areas- ( I have a very small bladder and believe me I KNOW where the nearest restroom is where ever I am on the ship. I would think that if smoking were equally important to me I would know where the smoking area are.), jeans and t-shirts in the dining room-I have even seen this on formal nights. Taking pictures of the shows when you have been told it is not allowed. Children in the adult pool areas-I love children, but I know that everyone does not and I respect that. Bringing liguor on board- It is my understanding that if your caught they hold it for you until the end of the cruise and then return it. I bet if they pitched it, charged you a stiff storage fee, or kicked you off the ship maybe people would stop. As long as the consequences for disobeying the rules do not outweigh the benefit of breaking them people will continue to do so. This concept is true if you are discussing cruise ship, parenting or our civil laws.
Okay maybe I got a little carried away
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005