Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default If you were the CEO of Carnival, What's the FIRST thing you would change?

Like the title says... If you were CEO of Carnival, what's the first thing you would change? And what impact do you think it would have?
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Admiral

I would want to do away with the 100% party atmosphere and make it more accesible to older people like myself
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I would want to do away with the 100% party atmosphere and make it more accesible to older people like myself
Henry .. this one honestly caught me by surprise. I've cruised Carnival many times since 1995, and haven't found anything resembling a "100% party atmosphere".

Don't know when you've last sailed them, but you'll find plenty of "older folks" on today's Carnival.

There are plenty of activities going on, and that's part of their "Fun Ship brand", but it's far from an all out party all the time. I don't even drink, and not really a "party guy", and I seem to fit in just fine on Carnival.

Aside from that, it seems like you'd implement a total change of the brand, and could cost the company MILLIONS of $$, so you wouldn't be left in charge very long
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Henry .. this one honestly caught me by surprise. I've cruised Carnival many times since 1995, and haven't found anything resembling a "100% party atmosphere".

Don't know when you've last sailed them, but you'll find plenty of "older folks" on today's Carnival.

There are plenty of activities going on, and that's part of their "Fun Ship brand", but it's far from an all out party all the time. I don't even drink, and not really a "party guy", and I seem to fit in just fine on Carnival.

Aside from that, it seems like you'd implement a total change of the brand, and could cost the company MILLIONS of $$, so you wouldn't be left in charge very long

I cruised with Carnival in 1994 and it was a very young 20 something crowd whereas I was in my 50's.

Re costing the company millions ,its not very likely that I would ever be in charge of a cruise line so why not dream .
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Captain

I would shake things up a bit by introducing more new activities on board and changing the shows more often. When you see the same shows 4 or 5 times (not always the same ship, either), and hear the same jokes, see the spoon game etc., it can get a little boring.

When we started cruising 7 years ago, there were more audience participation type activities and we enjoyed those. There are still some, but not as many as before.

I would also love to see more evening activities onboard for dancing, with good dance music, not just the electric slide, but swing, foxtrot, etc. Some nights, the ships seem so dead that we walk around looking for something to do after the show.

I would like to see the pools open more at night, and earlier in the morning. We, older folks (60 & 61) would enjoy an early morning or late night swim, when all the bikini clad, heavy drinking, young people are either partying late or sleeping in.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
First Mate

If we are going to have rules and policys we will be enforceing them, or CD and security heads will be gone.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Henry, my first Carnival cruise was in 1990, and it was a party ship. My last Carnival cruise was in October, and, it was TOTALLY not the same..Through the years since we both cruised, things changed,and I bet you would enjoy the cruise.

If I ruled Carnival, I would tone down the interiors. Still lively and fun, just doing it from another vantage point. Every "lady" needs a lift every once in a while...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would charge passengers by the pound.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would expand the itineraries and start or increase cruises to/from South America, Asia and Australia.

Carnival has a good product that people enjoy but it is very "Caribbean centric".

I don't know how good a business decision this would be for Carnival but it would be something "I'm" interested in.

BTW: Carnival has lost a lot of its party image. Seven day, or longer cruises, when kids and younger folks are not in school have a somewhat older and not so party hardy types of people.

I have been on a Carnival Pride cruise that I would guess had an older demographic than Celebrity cruises I've been on.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Come up with a good scheme to support the solo cruiser - rather than punish them by hitting them with a double fare. NCL may be onto a good idea with their studio staterooms.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014

Last edited by green_rd; August 2nd, 2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: "solo" not single
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I would want to do away with the 100% old farts atmosphere and make it more accesible to younger people like myself. We need more PARTY!

Sorry Henry, I just couldn't help myself!

"SKY"
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default "perchance to dream"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I would want to do away with the 100% old farts atmosphere and make it more accesible to younger people like myself. We need more PARTY!

Sorry Henry, I just couldn't help myself!

"SKY"
Ode to be young like you ,sky
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Default What would you do

I woulg get rid of some of the CD, that aggrivate people and think they are better that others. some one said charge by the pound, this is not the usps or fedex. drop the prices of some of the excursions.
BOb:-)
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Probably the first thing I would do would be take a couple of cruises incognito to see exactly what the average passenger sees.Then review some of the policies and procedures such as saving chairs, saving seats, make sure the dining room was staffed efficiently, etc., look closely at the debarkation process to gauge what needed to be tweaked , if anything. With self debarkation I would decide whether to even keep it in place or discard it completely. And then probably take my pay for a couple years and resign the post to the next guy !!

Last edited by Ron; August 2nd, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I agree with changing up the entertainment more often, having the pools/hot tubs open later. Maybe add some of the desserts that Princess has.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Beginner

Default CEO of Carnival Changes

Been on Carnival five times & here are some recommendations:

1. Add a "California Cruise" to the lineup. The Mexico Riviera is very limited and not much else to take after you've done this area many times. California lineup could include: San Diego, Long Beach, San Luis Obispo, San Francisco, etc.

2. Provide parents with beepers to keep track of kids on ship. Kids 10-17 who are allowed to roam the ship wear a "beeper/tracking device"(eg bracelet, etc). Parents can locate their kids with a gps like tracking device. Walkie talkies aren't practical as they are too easy to misplace and cumbersome to carry all the time.

3. Offer discounts to past Carnival guests. We finally booked a Royal Caribbean cruise as there was nothing offered by Carnival to keep us on their cruise lines. We were quoted the same rates as what we found on cruise web sites.

Carnival 5x
Princess 1x
NCL 1x
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I totally agree with Bob (green_rd)...offer an attractive fare to solo cruisers. I usually cruise with friends and family but would definitely cruise more often alone if the single fares were reasonable. I don't want to stay in an interior stateroom to be able to afford the single supplement. I enjoy a balcony but the double bump makes this choice unattainable for me, therefore, I cruise less often than I would.

So...would the cruise lines prefer I sail once a year or sail twice a year. If I cruised twice a year, the cruise lines would profit from the additional monies spent on that 2nd cruise for gambling, alcohol, souvenirs, shore excursions, etc. I think Carnival needs to come up with a viable solution to this problem such as the Norwegian Epic did or they will lose a lot of solo customers to the cruise lines that do provide attractive pricing for solo cruisers. Carnival does not need to spend money to re-vamp their staterooms or build "single" staterooms on their new ships, all they need to do is create single friendly rates. I could live with a single supplement if it wasn't the entire price for that invisible person sharing your stateroom. I know fares are based on double occupany but that invisible person does not add to your bottom line. Carnival offers a price differential for that 3rd or 4th person in your stateroom. The 3rd or 4th person is usually a child who has no authority to purchase ancillary products on the ship or on shore. Why not offer the same differential to solo cruisers, they would more than make up the difference in onboard spending. Also, once you attain Platinum status with Carnival perhaps there is an opportunity there to offer solo cruisers an incentive to sail with them.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Captain

I would lower the price of drinks. They would make more money by selling more product. I would also do away with the amount of pictures the photographers try to take of you. They are like vultures looking for the kill. Ever notice the hundreds and hundreds of pics that dont get purchased? On the flip side a personal greeter to direct you to your cabin, lido restaurant etc when you first board instead of hunting around yourself. Its a nice touch. And lastly please, please stop putting inserts in my funtimes and under my door about jewelry sales, gold, art auctions. What a waste of paper and time. Green will never be this companys motto.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

The CEO's goal is to make money.
Carnival tends to attract a heavier crowd.

The passenger's daily rate would be based on every pound they weigh - so an inside cabin would go for $1 per pound. A 150 pound passenger pays $150 per day. A 300 pound passenger pays $300.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Congratulations Mark - you just ran off your core constituency. No bonus for you!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Familiar Face

Why not do something that has not been done for a long time in the industry. Build smaller ships, that can visit shallower ports, and more exotic destinations. Not everyone wants a mega ship, although sometimes it is nice, but in turn, it would be nice to be on a ship with only 500 to 1200 people.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Valor - 4/2009
Carnival Liberty - 4/2007
Carnival Glory - 3/2004
Celebrity Galaxy - 5/2003
Carnival Imagination - 3/2000
Carnival Fantasy - 2/1999
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Admiral

First I would get Jim Berra off his "behind" and get a decent Milestone Rewards program in place.

You have to give folks something they WANT to work towards and something that is worth the continued loyalty.

Secondly, I would teach some CONSISTANCY in the areas of Debarkation and Repeater's Parties. Carnival is missing a golden opportunity at their Repeater's Parties to push the product and it not cost them a thing. Some CD's handle it very well...others do as little as possible.

AND, if I were Mickey Arison, I would implement reciprocating perks to sister cruise lines. (each cruise line would have their own set number that this would happen at)

Princess and Cunard already have this.....

Even if it were 50 cruises for Carnival folks to achieve this, it would be an incentive to go "up the food chain" to the more expensive sister cruise lines.

At the same time, it would give Carnival folks something else to work towards AND since anyone who has done 50 cruises on Carnival clearly love the product....the Carnival cruiser would still continue to sail with Carnival as well.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Captain

Here's my List but don't get all mad at me, just having fun...
No Smoking...
No Gambling...
No small kids running wild...
No booze...
No 2nds at the buffet...
Only slim European women for me gaze at... (my wife smacked me)!!

Now for real...
A nice non-smoking lounge with a 3-piece band that takes request...
FREE 1st picture...
Longer time for "Meet the Captain" (free drinks!!!)
Greater rewards for repeat customers (greater reward as your numbers increase)

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default No extra charges

How about an all-inclusive cruise. No tips or charges for drinks. I always find the pursuit of tips by the crew to be demeaning anways. Just pay them more. Resorts work this way and I find it to be more relaxed for guests and workers.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Familiar Face

good idea Pay one time and be done with it.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

If I were CEO I would make all the ships non smoking.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Admiral

If Carnival were to become all-inclusive they would fail. Why? Because they would have to charge fares which would be out of reach to their core customers. Carnival sells value. If they abandoned value they'd lose their base and be bankrupt or up for sale within a couple years.

I agree with LHP that they need to do something to have some sort of reciprocating perks with their other lines, such as RCI and Celebrity do. I have diamond status with RCI and because of that get equal perks on Celebrity, even though I have less than 10 cruises with Celebrity. It would be nice if Carnival Corporation did the same. To me it is a golden marketing opportunity.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies View Post
I would shake things up a bit by introducing more new activities on board and changing the shows more often. When you see the same shows 4 or 5 times (not always the same ship, either), and hear the same jokes, see the spoon game etc., it can get a little boring.

When we started cruising 7 years ago, there were more audience participation type activities and we enjoyed those. There are still some, but not as many as before.

I would also love to see more evening activities onboard for dancing, with good dance music, not just the electric slide, but swing, foxtrot, etc. Some nights, the ships seem so dead that we walk around looking for something to do after the show.

I would like to see the pools open more at night, and earlier in the morning. We, older folks (60 & 61) would enjoy an early morning or late night swim, when all the bikini clad, heavy drinking, young people are either partying late or sleeping in.
Changing the shows more often is one of the most expensive things you can do on a cruise line - and there is no financial return for your efforts.
This move wold cost Carnival many millions of dollars with no increase in profits to show for your efforts.
The shareholders would vote you out of office very quickly for this move.

Most cruise lines have cut back on dance music due to lack of demand - and the passenger cabins required for the extra musicians. Two musicians in a passenger cabin replace about $2,000 in revenue every week.
The shareholders would have you quickly unemployed for this idea as well.

The pools need to be closed a minimum number of hours for emptying,cleaning, re-filling, maintenance, and balancing of chemistry.
8 hours is the industry standard.
Most accidents in pools happen late at night when drunks decide to have a bit of fun. The cruise line's lawyers will not allow late night pool hours.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
If I were CEO I would make all the ships non smoking.

Laura
20% of Carnival's passengers are smokers.
Carnival makes far less than 20% annual profit.
As the head of a company, would you be willing to lose 20% of your customers, with the strong possibility of bankrupting the company?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin_PA View Post
Why not do something that has not been done for a long time in the industry. Build smaller ships, that can visit shallower ports, and more exotic destinations. Not everyone wants a mega ship, although sometimes it is nice, but in turn, it would be nice to be on a ship with only 500 to 1200 people.
The smallest mass market cruise ship currently making a profit is carrying just over 2,500 passengers. Anything smaller than that cannot make a profit - regardles of the fares they charge.

Seabourn, Sea Dream, and the other small ship companies have NEVER made a profit in their entire histories.

Why would a CEO (who wants to keep his job) propose to spend many millions of dollars to build a ship that is guaranteed to lose money?
AS CEO, you would be gone from the company before many people even learned your name.