Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM
First Mate

Default Carnival Dream: Ocean Plaza

Booked on Carnival Dream for Sep 25th cruise. In reading the reviews (I like to be a little prepared when I cruise on a ship for the 1st time ) I see a lot of chat about the Ocean Plaza and how it is a great place for lunch and avoids the crowds in the Gathering for lunch. Can someone who has already cruised the Carnival Dream shed some light on this? Is this a good deal? And what foods are available?

Also heard that the dining room is open during embarkation. Any comments here?

Thanks.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Chief,I was on the Dream back in Feb. and I honestly wish I could answer your questions but I don't remember even eating in the Ocean Plaza area or hardly what it looked like. We are Platinum so when we get aboard, we normally are ahead of a lot of the crowd and just head to the Lido buffet. I remember that on the Dream the Fish and Chips place ( that was on the Glory and some other Conquest class ships ) on the second level of the Buffet had been replaced by a pasta station. You place your order, they give you a little stand with a number and you sit that on your table and they bring your order to you when it's ready. I've never tried to eat lunch on any ship in the main dining room upon embarkation but I do not believe they serve lunch during
that time period. I have been in the dining room on lots of ships around noonish or so to check on table numbers and have yet to see them serving anyone during that general time period . I would just forget that part and head for the buffet or the Ocean Plaza.
Wish I could help you more but you'll have a great time and have more food than you can eat, regardless of where you get it !!
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Admiral

When you have a minute, read my review on the Dream's April 10, 2010 sailing. I talk a lot about food, ha!

Yes, there are lunch options available near/at the Ocean Plaza but not on sail day. The dining venues open on departure day are: Crimson Dining Room (Deck 3 Fwd.)and the Gathering which includes the grand buffet, Mongolian, Burrito Bar, Pasta Station, Indian Tandoor, The Grill, Deli and Pizza. On the second sea day, the Lanai Bar-BQ will be open (on the open deck outside the Ocean Plaza, Deck 5), and a salad bar and turkey wraps close to the Patisserie in the Ocean Plaza. Also, the sushi bar, Wasabi, opens at 5:00 p.m. (also on Deck 5).
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Oh, the Lanai Bar-BQ offered sliders, hot dogs, salad, quesadilla, etc.
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Rose, you said Crimson Dining Room is open for embarkation?

Need some cruise help?
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
First Mate

Rose, just read the review. Wonderful info. You are one of the many reasons that I enjoy this board. Great review. Thanks a lot.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Thom, when you asked the question about lunch venues, I pulled out my Carnival Fun Times to check out the venues open on embarkation day and the Crimson Dining Room is listed as being open for lunch but I can't verify that (we ate lunch at the Gathering).

Hey, I'm your neighbor, I live in Haines City!!

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions regarding the Dream. We ate quite often at the Pasta bar on the 2nd floor of the Gathering, loved it.

Rose