Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Carnival Dream vs other ports

My daughter wants to go on Carnival Dream no matter where she goes to. We live in Louisiana - so would have to fly either way. I want to go to the Mexician Riveria but have been on the carnival spirit many times. Is the Dream that different of a ship that I should go on her vs a different port we havn't been to before? She says she likes the ships more than the ports, but I like both. Any suggestions or comments on the Dream, etc??
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
Is the Dream that different of a ship that I should go on her vs a different port we havn't been to before?
The Dream is quite different than a Spirit or Conquest class ship.
So my answer would be yes, go with the Dream.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Whats so different?
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Admiral

The Dream is the first of a new class of ship--It's currently the largest ship in the Carnival Fleet. It's quite a bit bigger than the Spirit class ships. I was on the Dream back in Feb. We went the western itin. to Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize.
Regarding the differences, the Dream , as I said is larger--130,000. tons, 1004 ft. in length and 122 ft. in width. Basically has more bells and whistles, as they say, than does the Spirit class ships. Layout is pretty much of a difference too.
The Spirit class ships are 88,500 tons, 963 ft. in length and 106 ft. wide.
Bigger is not always better but as the Dream is the newest and largest in the Carnival fleet , I would give it a whirl over the Spirit class right now.
I've been on both and prefer the Dream--but that's just my opinion.I too have been to the Mexican Riviera and if you've not been to the Caribbean and you have to fly regardless, then go with the Dream--don't think you will be disappointed at all.
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
First Mate

I also like the ship more than I like the ports. Sometimes I don't even leave the ship when it's in port, because I've been there before. I try and pick the cruises that have a lot of sea days - those are the best!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Unless they have moved her you can also sail the Mexican Riviera on the Splendor out of Long Beach. It was the last ship built before Dream. It is it's own class but pretty much like the Conquest class ships. Dream probably has more unique features than Splendor does.

Isn't Magic coming to Galveston? She is a sister ship to Dream and you could drive from LA. Not sure what your planning timeline is.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM
First Mate

The Dream is a great ship! Sailed in April and will be sailing on her again next Month, Sept. More options than the Spirit class of ships. It really is preference though. Some like the smaller ships. I never felt like it was too crowded on the Dream. Yes, there are some times that you will have to wait - i.e. Lido, Deli, Grille, etc but this is not unique to the Dream, it can and does occur on any ship. We're doing the Western where there are 4 stops as opposed to most, 3 ports. If you like sea days you might not appreciate the 4th port, however, it's nice to have the ship as a result of those going ashore on 4 days as opposed to 3.

Because it is the largest in the Carnival fleet it obviously has more decks and more "unique" areas, more dining varieties, etc.

Cabins are generally the same, but in newer condition obviously.

The food and entertainment was standard Carnival pretty much - both excellent!

You can't go wrong with Carnival and I think both you and your daugther would love it if you appreciated the Spirit class.

Why not try it out!

But whatever it is you choose, you'll have a great time I'm sure.