Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
First Mate

Default Crime on Cruise Ships

Interesting article in today's Tampa paper. See link below:

Keeping crime at bay on cruises takes many hands

I don't know what the writer's agenda is but the article appears to me to be a bit negative not only to cruise lines but any law enforcement in general. A lot of crime on land goes uninvestigated for the very same reasons: victim won't press charges, it is a matter of "she said, he said." etc. However, that being said I was surprised to see that the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010, aimed at strengthening safety and reporting standards, was signed by President Obama. I didn't know such a thing even existed.

I personally have never felt threatened on a cruise ship but I know others have. Anyway, just though you might enjoy the article. Fair winds and following seas.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Familiar Face

Default Crime on ships

Remember that the ships are a floating resort.
Carnival provides a Safe that only YOU can open.
USE it. WE did have a ring stolen that was left on the bathroom sink.
Totally our fault to have left it out of the safe. Nothing could be proven and we continue to cruse. Be safe and smart and Have a GREAT time.

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:59 AM
First Mate

I think all cruise lines want to keep everyone safe, if not they would lose so many customers, because lets face it, that type of news spreads so fast and once the media gets hold, well you know. We have always felt safe.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I cruise alone quite a bit of the time. Never have I felt threatened on a ship. Once I did come across a man lurking in the hallway late one night. turned out he had a bit too much to drink and was lost. All those doors look alike!!! I avoid dark lonely places when I am alone on a ship.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Admiral

I'll refrain from commenting too much on this, as I'd probably get "yanked", but let's just say that as a former NYPD employee, I could tell "Mr. Pete" a few stories. I too have NEVER felt threatened aboard ship, and YES, I have no doubt that "stuff happens" aboard ship, just as it does anyplace else where there are lots of people, but I simply think that the government has stepped in, once again, without knowing what they're talking about, just to show the public how much they are concerned about us. I think they should stay focused on immigration, unemployment, and the economy.

"SKY"
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
First Mate

The Gov dosen't have a Airline and a Cruise Co yet, they are still working on it. They got the cars and banks, unions. They have to get their fingers in there someway.