Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Shopping in Montego Bay, Jamaica

We are sailing on the Conquest in December 2010. When we dock, is there a shopping mall at the dock like in Cozumel? We like the location in Cozumel, because we can get off the ship and stroll through the shopping center. Thanks for your help.

Carnival Ecstasy 2008
Carnival Ecstasy 2009
Carnival Conquest 2010
Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Triumph 2013
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

They have some stalls, but nothing as nice as at the pier in Cozumel. Mo-Bay doesn't have very good shopping anywhere.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

The Mo Bay terminal...5 or 6 little shops selling the identical junk souvenirs, a cigar shop probably selling fake Cubans, and a 6 chair snack bar that does have icy cold Red Stripe which was the highlight of our hour off the ship. These are all in an area of about 1000 square feet inside a large open-air building. Then you go through security with x-ray machines, metal detectors, and still get patted down - sex doesn't matter since female guards patted me and my son down last month - and that was that. Mo Bay is a bonus day at sea for us. Twas a moment of weakness that led us ashore this time. I won't make the mistake again.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Save your money for another port. Shopping here is quite sad..We took a tour,with s shopping stops, when we sailed the Conquest, and, it was pitiful....they took us to a strip mall..ugh The craft are stop, I stayed on the bus, as did many others...the Margarittaville was dirty, and, we saw a drug deal go down, with sight of the police. A day pass at Sandals would be a good move, or staying onboard.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone. We will stay onboard and wait for Cozumel. I know we won't tender in the Caymans. We will just enjoy the ship.

Carnival Ecstasy 2008
Carnival Ecstasy 2009
Carnival Conquest 2010
Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Triumph 2013
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Just curious why you won't tender in GC?

Old August 13th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

I think Jamaica gets a bum rap. I get off at every port. I prefer to live my own life and not someone else's. Do you ever go beyond the shopping at the ports of call?

You can buy fake Cubans even in Cuba.
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
I think Jamaica gets a bum rap. I get off at every port. I prefer to live my own life and not someone else's. Do you ever go beyond the shopping at the ports of call?

You can buy fake Cubans even in Cuba.
This will be our 3rd cruise and we haven't done any excursions. It has something to do with age I guess. We do love cruising and we enjoy the ship. We like to see what the local stores have to offer, and purchase a few momentos for friends.

Carnival Ecstasy 2008
Carnival Ecstasy 2009
Carnival Conquest 2010
Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Triumph 2013
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise soon View Post
This will be our 3rd cruise and we haven't done any excursions. It has something to do with age I guess. We do love cruising and we enjoy the ship. We like to see what the local stores have to offer, and purchase a few momentos for friends.
Nothing wrong with that. Just curious.

I know some people who cruise and have no clue where the ship is going. They cruise just to be on a ship. Some of those cruise for the people they meet. Others cruise just for the relaxation or other reasons.

Well, if you want to purchase a Rasta Tam (hat) with Dreadlocks for a friend, you can do that in the shops in the secure port area at Montego Bay. And you can find some other mementos, too. It's worth a shot.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Admiral

If you were going into Ocho Rios, Jamaica...I would be giving you completely different advice....

but Montego Bay is still a pit hole....

Even as many times we have been there, I still get off the ship and walk around...but I do not leave the port. It simply isn't worth the aggreviation.

Even the tours through the ship left two elderly ladies (sisters) very shaken up. Since they were on a ship tour, I thought they would be ok....

but when their tour stopped for a little shopping...the pit hole opened up.
One vender physically grabbed one sister while another vendor physically grabbed the other one and tried to separate them.

These ladies were in their 70's and have not traveled much. They were terrified. One almost tripped trying to get away and could have broken a hip. Sadly, stories like this are not isolated incidents.

This pit hole should not enjoy cruiser's money until it can learn to treat its guests with respect.

Ocho Rios got its act together...Montego Bay should do the same thing.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I love Montego Bay and always get off the ship and exit the port area.

I sometimes even walk back to the ship. No worries. Last time, the only people who even said anything to me were taxi drivers trying to pick up a fare. I told them to sail on!

Some people are travelers and others just tourists. When I visit another nation I expect it to be different and go with the flow. I'm not so arrogant as to expect sovereign nations to change their culture to accommodate me.

Now if the U.S. would end the arrogant, moronic boycott of Cuba, I think you would see cruise lines start to switch ports.
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Admiral

lhp, I totally agree with you.....While I am not a big fan of Ocho. I did enjoy some things..Mobe, has a while to go.....;(

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

That last time we visited Jamaica in 1987 (!!!) we found that Ocho Rios was a pit and on the ship tour when the driver asked how long the group wanted to visit the Straw Market, we told him 15 minutes. Everyone else groaned but I can tell you some of them beat us back to the bus! Haven't been back to Jamaica since and cannot imagine going back anytime soon.
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

The Flea market? I thought it was interesting... No worries.

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Admiral

I like Mo Bay. Not my favorite port, but I like it.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
I love Montego Bay and always get off the ship and exit the port area.

I sometimes even walk back to the ship. No worries. Last time, the only people who even said anything to me were taxi drivers trying to pick up a fare. I told them to sail on!

Some people are travelers and others just tourists. When I visit another nation I expect it to be different and go with the flow. I'm not so arrogant as to expect sovereign nations to change their culture to accommodate me.

Now if the U.S. would end the arrogant, moronic boycott of Cuba, I think you would see cruise lines start to switch ports.

Labeling people as travelers or tourists does not excuse physically attacking two 70 year old ladies. It is not arrogant to expect not to be physically grabbed and jerked around. It is called respect.

And if that is their culture....fine...but don't expect people to come there and spend their money to be treated like that.

If one of those sisters had fallen and broken a hip....I am sure they would not care what you "labeled" them.

This is not an isolated incident. It has been an ongoing problem for years which is why Ocho Rios finally got off their fanny and corrected the problem.

Mo Bay should do the same.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The port of Montego Bay is very industrial, nothing there for tourists. You'd have to take a cab or do an excursion, just nothing there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
The Mo Bay terminal...5 or 6 little shops selling the identical junk souvenirs, a cigar shop probably selling fake Cubans, and a 6 chair snack bar that does have icy cold Red Stripe which was the highlight of our hour off the ship. These are all in an area of about 1000 square feet inside a large open-air building. Then you go through security with x-ray machines, metal detectors, and still get patted down - sex doesn't matter since female guards patted me and my son down last month - and that was that. Mo Bay is a bonus day at sea for us. Twas a moment of weakness that led us ashore this time. I won't make the mistake again.
Don't take it personally.....I think I get patted down everytime we go to Montego Bay! I never have anything illegal on me so I never worry about it!
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Admiral

I think people who advise others that there is no danger & we should all walk about as we please are being irreponsible.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Admiral

To pretend that the United States is safe is burying your head in the sand.

We are responsible for our own safety. Basic awareness is required anywhere on the planet. If you are incapable of saying NO then remember the adage about Safety in Numbers.

"Physically attacking" is embellishment at the least and Yellow Journalism comes to mind. If they were attacked, they would have been much more than shaken up.

There is no port in the US or foreign country that does not have incidents.

I still say Jamaica, including Ocho Rios and Montego Bay gets a bum rap. Kingston is another story, but no cruise ships stop there.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Passenger

We will stay on the ship if we ever go there again. Nothing there that for us worth taking the risk. We were approached by a group of locals selling marijuana just outside Margaritaville. There were literally hiding behind parked cars waiting for someone to pass by. It scared me to death.

Read and post cruise reviews

CARNIVAL FANTASY Sept. 2008
CARNIVAL CONQUEST Oct. 2006
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH Oct. 2010

"Its Five O'Clock Somewhere"
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
First Mate

There is something to be said for all ports visited. They may not be the cleanest, most friendly, less pushy, or even best smelling, as a whole there is something to be learned. Check them out and make up your own mind, be careful know your surroundings.
"I want to die regretting some things that I have done, rather than regretting things I did not do"
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"