CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Bringing your own laptop (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/376190-bringing-your-own-laptop.html)

CarolinaGirl August 17th, 2010 10:53 AM

Bringing your own laptop

If you bring your own laptop, do you have to pay for Wi-fi on the cruise ships?

Jamman August 17th, 2010 11:05 AM

Yes. You will have to purchase a time plan just as you would if you are using thier computers.

Moiraine August 17th, 2010 11:11 AM

Yes, you do.

CarolinaGirl August 17th, 2010 11:52 AM

Thanks! Still trying to figure it all out, but getting closer.

Mike M August 17th, 2010 12:16 PM

Carnival's current rates are:

55.00 for 100 minutes
100.00 for 250 minutes
.75 per minutes pay as you go.

If you plan on using it for any period of time I suggest purchasing a package.

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman August 17th, 2010 12:36 PM

BTW--Depending on the ship, it may or may not work from your cabin. Depends on location. They have been improving as time goes by....

linalcaplan August 17th, 2010 10:39 PM

The connection is rather slow, as it is a satellite connection. If you can wait till you get to your ports you'll normally find much faster and cheaper connections. I just returned from an Alaskan cruise and was able to use McDonald's wifi for the price of a coffee!

Dwayne August 21st, 2010 07:23 AM

They have specials sometimes to get bonus minutes.

Nothin but blue skies August 21st, 2010 10:34 PM

The first day almost always has a special price package. I have only carried my own laptop on our two Italy/Mediterranean cruises. I don't really need it on shorter cruises and use the ship's computers. I took it then, because we were gone for 3 weeks each and I could use it in my hotel room and to download photographs. You cannot download on the ship computer.

When I bring my own 'puter I I log on and open my e-mail and then list the incoming mail by name. Then I can glance over the names to see if I have anything from work or a family member. I read only those emails. The rest can wait. I copy and paste the emails that I need to answer to a Word doc and log off. Then I can take my time typing my responses in word and then log back on and paste my responses and send the email and get back off quickly.

I also enjoy having my laptop on major trips to make a trip diary. I have done travel diaries for 40+ years and love being able to do this on the 'puter. I also am able to access my planning and travel notes, contacts etc. on my laptop. I used mine everywhere on the Dream in Italy last year and had much better luck with connecting and staying on-line than the passengers who were trying to use the ship's computers.

The first time carried my 17" laptop and last year I took my min-net book and it made a world of difference. So much easier than lugging that monster around.:-D

gogetter September 1st, 2010 09:48 AM

HHHMMM...so with my Sprint card, i won't have to worry about wifi and charges....right ?

thomas212121 September 1st, 2010 12:47 PM

Your right you won't. Only problem is that when you are at sea you won't get any reception for the Sprint card. Once in port its not a problem. On the open sea though is another story. Used my Sprint card the last three cruises and it was great. Purchased the 100 minute plan for when at sea. Between the two it gives you great coverage.

green_rd September 1st, 2010 04:26 PM

Or if your Sprint card picks up the cell signal you will be paying international roaming. Carnival is cheaper.

But of course you could you go on vacation and unplug.

CarolinaGirl September 2nd, 2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1314272)
But of course you could you go on vacation and unplug.

This is my first trip away for longer than 3 days with my girls on their own. I just want to be able to keep in touch a couple of times to be sure they're still alive. lol :rolleyes:

Insider September 11th, 2010 03:20 PM

We always take our laptop if for nothing more then to download pictures. We may use the internet for a short few minutes but mainly for down loading. Espically now with the Carnival Fun Hubs in place you may not need a laptop as much.

MSRussell September 20th, 2010 06:31 PM

I bring my laptop on my cruises.....you can get on free on Carnival.com forum.
Also, I put my pictures from my SD card on the laptop each day, format the SD card, and I'm good to go.
Melanie