Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshees View Post
We went on a 4 day Bahamas cruise last November and I wasn't real crazy about Freeport. I thought it was bogus. Not much to do and kind of a waste of time. I also didn't really like Belize. I know alot of people love it but we just didn't. I have also not been to Jamaica on a cruise but I've been there on an AI vacation, and I can't stand Jamaica at all. It's dirty, dangerous and annoying with people trying to sell you everything and drugs. My favorites are St Thomas & Aruba. I also liked Costa Maya.

Karen
I understand what you are talking about when it comes to places you don't like. But for me it's still hands down Nassau, In other ports of call I can find things that I like. Example I do not like Jamaica like most but, I still found many things that I loved about it. So I would have no problem going back to those places. But I just can not find one thing I like in Nassau
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
This one is easy for me. If you cruise out of California avoid Enseneda Mexico. No good beaches, dirty, pushy vendors, and begging children. It's depressing. I would stay on the ship if we go there again.
Saint Maarten, The town was dirty. Beer cans and debris on the sides of the roads. Downton the sidewalks were uneven and hard to walk without tripping. In some places you had to climb stair to get to the sidewalks. Once back in the 90's we took a tour to Pinel Island and that was nice. Quiet and clean.

Last edited by Trip; September 10th, 2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spam in post
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Saint Maarten, The town was dirty. Beer cans and debris on the sides of the roads. Downton the sidewalks were uneven and hard to walk without tripping. In some places you had to climb stair to get to the sidewalks. Once back in the 90's we took a tour to Pinel Island and that was nice. Quiet and clean.

Laura
I was going to ask when was the last time you were in St Maarten?

Now the downtown area where the water taxi brings you in is beautiful.

We were just there last year and could not believe how much it has changed.

We can't wait to go back.....just to go to the downtown area and hang out.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

My vote to never go to again would be Montego Bay, Jamaica.

It bothers me greatly that locals think they have the right to physically grab someone....why would I want to spend my money with vendors who are so disrespectful? (and this was on a SHIP tour)

Ocho Rios (in Jan 2008 was actually MUCH improved. We walked to the Island Village (nice sidewalks...no one bothered us) shopped and had a great day.

There is a Margaritaville there and lots of stores......

We will be back there and it will be interesting to see if it is still that way.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Spoken as a new cruiser, I think that every cruiser should experience every port that they sail to at least once. Then they can make an informed decision whether to visit it again or not. I wouldn't rely solely on someone else's opinion because (as we have seen here on this thread) people are very different and like very different things. What one person hates, someone else might love.

That being said - I think that Roatan, Honduras was my least favorite of the 4 ports that I have visited. It was a GORGEOUS island, but the poverty and armed guards EVERYWHERE is very disturbing. I just didn't feel safe. I would visit there again, but I think that I would stay at Carnival's great private dock in Mahogany Bay instead of venturing out to another excursion.
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGSWIN View Post
Spoken as a new cruiser, I think that every cruiser should experience every port that they sail to at least once. Then they can make an informed decision whether to visit it again or not. I wouldn't rely solely on someone else's opinion because (as we have seen here on this thread) people are very different and like very different things. What one person hates, someone else might love.
I agree! I'm new at this too but intend to make up my own mind.
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This thread is the perfect example of why Heinz,makes 57 As a new cruiser, I cannot imagine anyone not getting off the ship, based on others opinions. Part of the fun of travel is seeing new places,with almost child like wonder.

One port that got tons of complaints, years back, was Caracas. I was thrilled to get off in South America, and was amazed many never got off the ship. Now, many who got off, maybe they didn't care for the city, for whatever reason, but at least they found it out first hand.

What many people find disturbing in some Caribbean ports, is the pressure to buy things. It can overwhelm the casual shopper. Most ports have it, on different levels of intensity. From Nassau to St Maarten, to Jamaica,and all in between, the locals want you to buy their wares. I like Nassau, so many don't,and I wonder why? St Maarten a few years back, had their entire shopping area, had a makeover, car free, as well... dirty? I found it clean, while others object to this popular port of call. It's different strokes for different folks.....

Go with an open mind, and realize you are in a foreign county, and embrace it..you may walk away with a place you want to return to, or, you may decide, a day on the ship is a better way to spend your day, if you sail there again. I am heading for 2 new ports next cruise, one with not so great reviews...I am going to take my own advice

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Trip,

As the saying goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." I sure hope that nobody would skip a port and stay on the boat based on another person's review. It's kinda' like movie reviews. You rave about it, I hate it. Everyone is different (thank goodness.) We travel with an open mind and yes there some places that we wouldn't return to. But please all you folks. Go and experience it for yourself. OK, enough preaching. Back to my Sunday morning coffee :-)

Need some cruise help?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Year ago, I worked with a woman, and, her husband won a contest at his work. It was an all expense paid vacation to Santo Domingo, DR.

They chose not to accept it..why? Someone in her family had gone there on vacation,and, didn't like it there, so they decided, they wouldn't either..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Year ago, I worked with a woman, and, her husband won a contest at his work. It was an all expense paid vacation to Santo Domingo, DR.

They chose not to accept it..why? Someone in her family had gone there on vacation,and, didn't like it there, so they decided, they wouldn't either..
Funny. I had never been there until a couple of years ago when we went on a Holland America cruise. The D.R. has a reputation for poverty, etc. but I really liked this port. No, there isn't natural beautiy but there is tons of history. It is one of the first points Columbus hit when he discovered the new world, and it is one of the oldest European-based cities in the new world.

There is a church there with tons of history inside (crypts & memorials).

Plus the island is the home to Larimar maines - the "jewel" of the Caribbean. We found a beautifil loose stone in a shop that owns it own mine & factory for polishing and mounting. We bought it & my wife made a beautiful bracelet out of it.

Yes, it is a bit city, kind of like San Juan but poorer, but I enjoyed my day there a lot. The people were very friendly.
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Would that be on a Mississippi River cruise?
You know I always wanted to do a Mississippi River cruise. Now it appears that will never happen. The Delta Queen itinerary is history.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Some of the worst ports can be also be the best for shore excursions. Colon was a dump, but was the launching point for the wonderful tour of the Panama Canal. Limon was next to nothing, but was the transfer point to some lovely rain forest tours. Mo Bay too is a dump, but Jamaica offers Black River Safari, Dunn's River falls, and river rides, ext.

/ticker.png">
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

Second the "Mo Bay is a dump" comment but also second the idea that lousy ports can be the gateway to great excursions. For my wife and I Mo Bay sucked but we loved our private excursion to YS Falls - it was gorgeous and fun. Belize is not a fun port at all but the ship's excursion to Xunantunich was the best Myan ruin tour we've taken yet.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Passenger

For me it was Nassau and now I'm adding Cozumel. Funny thing is I enjoyed Nassau when I went there on vacation, but not so much as a port of call. Cozumel, been there quite a few times, but I haven't really given it a fair shot beyond Carlos 'n' Charlie's.
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
Second the "Mo Bay is a dump" comment but also second the idea that lousy ports can be the gateway to great excursions. For my wife and I Mo Bay sucked but we loved our private excursion to YS Falls - it was gorgeous and fun. Belize is not a fun port at all but the ship's excursion to Xunantunich was the best Myan ruin tour we've taken yet.
I'll second you on Xunantunich being one the best Mayan sites. Crossing the river by hand-cranked ferry is tops.
I've been to Chichen Itza which is also great, but gets all the hype that other sites also merit.

/ticker.png">