Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default Is there a Port of Call that you do not like?

I ask this because I hate the Bahamas truth is I rather stay on the ship. But alas I always go off and regret it. Please understand that I love cruising and visiting different ports, for me the Bahamas is like a bad stop I live in South Florida and to me it feels like a slum back home. I find the vendors extreamly pushy and most of the items are fake and their aren't any good deals to be had on other items. Like jewelery and watches and I have given the Bahamas multiple chances. So do you have a Port of Call that you don't like and why is it?
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:36 AM
Captain

Cartagena Columbia is the place I never want to visit again. D/W and I did not feel safe there one bit. If we are ever on another cruise that includes that port then we will definitely stay on the ship.

Happy Sailings
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Admiral

This one is easy for me. If you cruise out of California avoid Enseneda Mexico. No good beaches, dirty, pushy vendors, and begging children. It's depressing. I would stay on the ship if we go there again.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Saint Maarten, The town was dirty. Beer cans and debris on the sides of the roads. Downton the sidewalks were uneven and hard to walk without tripping. In some places you had to climb stair to get to the sidewalks. Once back in the 90's we took a tour to Pinel Island and that was nice. Quiet and clean.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Default St.Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Saint Maarten, The town was dirty. Beer cans and debris on the sides of the roads. Downton the sidewalks were uneven and hard to walk without tripping. In some places you had to climb stair to get to the sidewalks. Once back in the 90's we took a tour to Pinel Island and that was nice. Quiet and clean.

Laura

I love St.Maarten ,its one of my alltime favorites .Several of my friends have time shares and vacation there every year.

The way you see St.Maarten,I see St.Thomas
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Hate: Montego Bay and Nassau. These are bonus "sea" days to me.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree with Montego Bay, we were hounded by the vendors and guys wanting to take us on tours so we quickly hightailed it back to the ship to relax.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Admiral

A lot of Caribbean islands have lesser standards than maybe some are used to.
Some ports are more gateway's to other places of interest & have little going for them. Vigo in Spain is such a place, but if you visit a few times it grows on you & there are trips to go on. Bari in Italy seems to have little merit.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
First Mate

I have to agree with Jamaica and Bahamas - two of the worst in my opinion. But, that being said, I LUV Cabo and Costa Maya . Great ports to walk around and shop and taste local flavors.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The only port I hate is the one where the ship drops you there when everything is closed. I HATE this.

Say you sail to the beautiful island of Corsica. Wonderful. You get on a shuttle to the only town, a beautiful village on a high cliff overlooking the sea.

But as soon you start walking aorund (with three or four hours to kill) you realize every single store is shuttered tight. All you see is a few coffee shops and if you are lucky a crappy souvenir store.

I do not know why some ships go to ports in Italy or France with arrivals at noon and departures at 5:00 - you are going to see NOTHING. What a waste of time and trouble to get to a nice port of call.
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:24 PM
Admiral

ST Thomas was one of my least favorites.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Cartagena , Ochos Rios , Acapulco and Cozumel.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Nassau, back in the early 70's it was okay but has since gotten dirty and I have to agree no bargains of any kind.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

I suppose to be fair most actual ports don't have much going for them, our home port, Southampton, has nothing of interest nearby really, but if you want there is the New forest, Beaulieu, Portsmouth historic dockyard, Marwell Zoo....
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

We never really felt safe at Montego Bay. It's one of those places we will stay with a carnival tour next time and avoid the immediate surroundings.

Progresso is one I'd call a "least favorite". It's a good place to see an impressive 4 mile long pier and a local market. Then head back to the ship for ice cream and burgers.

Of course, the one I really hate is the same one I loved on the first day. The one were they let you off the ship, but don't let you back on.
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Are you sure the pier in Progresso is 4 miles long? Dayum, that sounds outrageous!!! I was there once, years back....but I just don't recall the pier.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes it is, we were just there that week. Everyone on the bus was saying the same thing- imagine if you missed the last bus back to the ship! :-D
You have a considerable walk even from the ship to the Pier bus stop, I can't imagine having to walk any further in that humidity, we were all very glad to get on board the bus..
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

I am fairly sure that I couldn't walk four miles, even more sure that I couldn't in that heat & bloody definate I wouldn't want too!!
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In all my years of moderating here, when this question comes up, Jamaica, always comes out on top....Ocho Rios is a bit better to tolerate, but Montego Bay, is just not a port I will get off to tour, if by chance we sail there again.

A dirty strip mall,and a dirtier Margarittaville, [Jimmy, shame on you] is not my idea of an excursion...Maybe when Cuba opens up, Jamaica, will fall off the itineraries...one can only hope...It's a shame really, because, it is a beautiful island, lush and green..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
Admiral

I don't think they allow pedestrian traffic on the Progreso causeway. You have to take either a bus or a taxi.
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Familiar Face

I have to agree with Trip--------Jamaica is the only port of our 23 cruises where we felt unsafe, surrounded by 20 persistent vendors (in a threatining manner) we hopped in a nearby cab to go the 4 blocks to the ship---when we looked at the floor of the cab we could see the street rushing by through the large (8") hole in the floor! I was also asked 3 times in the 4 block walk to purchase drugs---which bugged me since the other 3 cruisers with me were not asked once!!

I also agree with John, that it's very disappointing to visit a port that's "closed down". On our transatlantic cruise aboard the Dream we arrived in Genoa (I think it was Genoa) on November 1-----everything was closed for All Saint's Day.
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Witt Monday,a floating holiday in the Bahamas, and Easter Monday in Guadaloupe,and some other islands is a beach holiday, so expect most shops to be closed My Mass. license late is, shop*r...guess who was sad.

Old August 21st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Admiral

I don't care at all for Freeport and Nassau in the Bahamas. Don't care at all for St. Thomas. Someone mentiond they didn't like St. Martin--odd how we view things differently--St. Martin is one of my favorite places!
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:49 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

I understand what people are saying about Jamaica but I still found many things I loved about Jamaica like eating at Bebies that hung over a cliff and we could see all the people that booked the catamaran and beach party combo excursion. So I like Jamaica just not everything about Jamaica. But their is not one thing that I find I like in Nassau. You get all the pushy senviors vendors and all types of fake crap to buy (NOT a DEAL) and you their is almost nothing to do other than walk around and wonder how fast you can get back to the ship
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I have to agree with the majority. MoBay and Nassau are least favorites. I can have fun especially MoBay, but not my fav's.

Thanks Dave for correctly spelling Progreso.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
Are you sure the pier in Progresso is 4 miles long? Dayum, that sounds outrageous!!! I was there once, years back....but I just don't recall the pier.
We were told it was 6 miles! It is a very long pier. I'm fairly sure it is LONGER than 4 miles.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I was on a cruise post surgery, took one look at that loooooong pier and knew I needed to stay on board.....ond funny or not so funny thing, while we were docked there..the ship was inundated with flies!

Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Totally disagree with you on Saint Maarten as this is one of the best shopping ports in the Caribbean and the area right by the pier great swimming and very reasonable refreshments and food along with very inexpensive cabanas and lounge chairs.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nassau and anywhere in Jamaica. Don't feel safe in either place.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes I am sure the pier at Progreso is longer than 4 miles too.