Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising solo....Carnival Legend

My cruise is coming up August 29 from tampa to Cayman Island, Routan, Belize and Cozumel Mexico, I'm not sure if I should go or not. Me and my Long distance boyfriend booked this 3 months ago and now we are not in good terms. We are not talking and wonder if it's a good idea for me to go alone...money is not refundable. Is anyone knows if theres some people that goes in this cruise alone? Please let me know, I have 6 more days to decide.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Go on the cruise, don't let your money go to waste! Take a friend or family member instead, or go solo. There are always great people to meet on a cruise ship! I just booked a cabin to myself on an upcoming cruise I am really looking forward to doing what I want when I want:-) . You can take ships excursions too and be with other people on the ship. You can read a book on the deck and chill or be social and ask for a big dinner table to meet more people. I'd look at it as an adventure and go for it!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
First Mate

I can understand how you may not want to go alone, but the other posters are right....why waste you money sitting home when you could have a fun time on the cruise?

You can book a tour through the crusie so you can see the sights with other people, and you won't have to worry about being alone on the island(s).

Who knows, you could have the time of your life
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I'm a male and my girlfriend and I just got off the Carnival Destiny on 8/23/10. I've been on a single cruise in the past and also another cruise with my 13 yr old daughter at the time and I had a blast...this one was no different. There were plenty of singles on the ship...almost wish I was still SINGLE..lol! Anyway, you should definately go and you will be in for a surprise!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Absolutely go on your cruise, you will not be disappointed. As another poster stated, if you go on the ship's excursions, you will be in a group from the ship. If you have never been to these ports, Grand Cayman is a tender port and there are lots of shops and restaurants in the immediate area from the dock if you choose not to do an excursion. Roatan has a new port area and skyway tram that takes you right to the beach. Belize, if you don't do an excursion, is the only port that I would hesitate going off on my own. Cozumel has lots of shops and restaurants close to the pier and cruise organized tours will provide a comfort level to solo cruisers. On the ship, there is so much to do, quiet spots to relax and new friends to meet.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I am planning to go solo on this cruise in February. I go solo on most of my cruises and never have a problem.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
First Mate

hey Laura - I think thats great that you cruise solo.

Question for you - in the dining room, do you sit at a table with other solo / single cruisers? I'm curious if the cruiseline will do this, or is the seating random and you could be seated with all couples?
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Default going solo

I went solo once. What I missed was a connection to someone on the ship. But, my circumstance was different, my cruise partner is now my ex.
After saying that, please go, make memories of the ship, people you may meet, the ports. Don't pass up this opportunity! A less than perfect cruise is better than no cruise! Yes, they sat me at a singles table, but I was old enough to be their mother! It may have been an opportunity for a young person to meet someone on the first night, even if someone to just hang out with.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much everyone...I'm just so stressed out about it. But since every single one here says I should go, I might try to do this. i'm hoping I wont be more lonely since I just broke up with my boyfriend and we are suppose to be in this cruise together. The advantage is, the bed will be mine and nobody to share with since my boyfriend paid for it already. Is there anyone knows if I can make a request to set with other singles once I'm in the boat since we didnt booked this as a single cruise, it just happen that he doesnt want to go with me anymore? like in the dining room, etc? Thanks again everyone...

Last edited by emenzel4u; August 23rd, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Crusing solo is a great way to travel. I've traveled alone quite a bit over the last 25 years and boarding a ship is just about the easiest (and safest for women, IMO) way to explore the world. Of course, I've only cruised solo once but wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

It's my understanding that they try to place you at a table with other singles. This was true with my solo venture. You can verify this with the maitre' d after boarding the ship.

Take a deep breath and relax. You will have a wonderful time !!!
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
hey Laura - I think thats great that you cruise solo.

Question for you - in the dining room, do you sit at a table with other solo / single cruisers? I'm curious if the cruiseline will do this, or is the seating random and you could be seated with all couples?
I have never asked for other singles. usually always get a mix of folks at the tables. I am leaving in a few weeks on Carnival Liberty and trying My Time dining for the first time. New people every night. I have been alone for a long time. I decided a long time ago that if I don't do it alone I will never get to do anything.
I have recently recognised that as we get older a lot of people find themselves alone. Recently I began a small forum for senior singles. I hope it will help sigle seniors to find companions to cruise with.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Last edited by Cruznut2; August 24th, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

emenzel4u....once you are on board, look in the Fun Times available at the Pursers Desk (or in your room if it is after 1:30 p.m.) or just ask at the Pursers Desk when and where the Maitre d' will be available for dining requests. The Maitre d' is usually available at 1:00 p.m. in one of the main dining rooms (usually the forward dining room) to answer any questions you may have and will tell you exactly where you are seated. If you choose anytime dining, it will be a crap shoot where they seat you. If all else fails, the buffet is always open at dinner time. I sincerely hope you have decided to go on your cruise, the above posters have done a great job in trying to allay your fears about cruising solo. The only thing that stops me from cruising solo is the single supplement fee, don't like to pay for an invisible person. There is so much to do on the ship and you can always find someone to talk to, drink with, or just relax. Have a drink for me!!
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have a good time and please come back and let us know how much fun you had...
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
First Mate

i only have one word of advise for you......GO
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks again...After my cruise, Ill come back and let you guys know...
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Default Drum roll!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenzel4u View Post
Thanks again...After my cruise, Ill come back and let you guys know...
Waiting for your report!
Old September 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Beginner

So do tell, did you go? How was it? John
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Admiral

I guess she's "Gone With The Wind"
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Laura:

52 Been married 30 years and my hubby doesn't like to cruise nor can he get time off work as easy as I can. I am going on my first solo cruise Aug 30th. I am hoping it goes well and I wont feel alone. reading your posts gave me hope. I see myself if I enjoy cruising by myself doing it a lot after retirement. Hopefully my girls will have kids by then and I can take them to exotic places.
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmom1962 View Post
Laura:

52 Been married 30 years and my hubby doesn't like to cruise nor can he get time off work as easy as I can. I am going on my first solo cruise Aug 30th. I am hoping it goes well and I wont feel alone. reading your posts gave me hope. I see myself if I enjoy cruising by myself doing it a lot after retirement. Hopefully my girls will have kids by then and I can take them to exotic places.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I am also leaving for a solo cruise on Aug. 30, Carnival Legend from Long Beach to Australia. This will be my 2nd solo cruise and I am very excited to meet new people and some others that I have cruised with last year. Enjoy! [/FONT