Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default Victory no longer sailing to Dominica :(

I have so been looking forward to my cruise in December onboard the Carnival Victory. My main attraction to this particular cruise was that there were NO "fun days at sea". I had to beg my husband to go and he only agreed because we "wouldn't be spending the whole day on the boat" Now carnival has cancelled a port (Dominica) and our second day is a "fun day at sea"

I'm not sure if I should call and ask for an onboard credit, or maybe a complimentary spa appointment for that day? Either way I'm not a very happy customer, because based on my research Carnival cancelled Dominica to save fuel cost, and that savings is not being passed on to me.

A little advice, or some reassurance that a fun day at sea for a young, very active couple won't be so horrible would be appreciated.

**Carnival Valor 12/2008**

**Carnival Victory 12/2010**

**Carnival Valor 11/2012**
;-)
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

All you will receive is a credit for your port charges..They owe you nothing else, especially since your cruise is a while yet Any port can be canceled or replaced per your cruise contract .....Since most of excursions there deal with eco tourism, maybe the ship and private tours are not getting sold,the way they would want? There is little to no shopping there either. Sad for the cruisers who enjoy the waterfalls and hiking though..

Honestly,I was ill that day and stayed on board, but,even if I wasn't ill, I would have gotten off, walked around a bit and then got back on board.

The day on board will offer many varied activities....or just veg by the pool.
You will have a ball...!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Admiral

"Fun Days" fill me with dread & are the sort of thing that people who don't cruise think cruises are about.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Familiar Face

I'm very upset at this change and when I called carnival to ask them if they are offering any compensation for the change the rep. very rudely told me "No and if they were offering any compensation it would have been in the letter." she also said "It's only one fun day at sea" like i was wrong for being upset in the change of my itinerary.

Like so many others I booked this cruise and paid the extra to fly into San Juan because there were no fun days at sea! I feel CCL is doing a huge disservice to those of us that book in advance, they must have know for some time that they were going to cancel this port but just kept stringing their customers along with a promise of an "action packed itinerary with a different port of call everyday"

;-)
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Missed ports & changes are just part of life when cruising, nobody likes it.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Unless things have changed in recent years..port intensive itineraries, always had a sea day, at the begining or end of the cruise...I liked it at the end. so I could rest before my day of travel... This cruise had no day at sea. prior to the cancellation, or they added one, so now you have two?

What would you do, if for any reason, they had to cancel a port...like for not being able to tender, bad weather, safety issues in a port, etc? You would get a sea day...

My very first cruise could not port in St Maarten due to stabalizer issues, they substituted Nassau, because it was feasible..If they couldn't we would have gotten a sea day...I had booked that ship to go to that island.

If it upsets you enough, book another cruise on another line, that fits your time frame.

Last edited by Trip; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Oh, come on. Carnival has been secretly "stringing" people along by not telling them about dropping Dominica? "Don't tell them yet. If they learn we are dropping Dominica, the Victory bookings will collapse!" I doubt it.

And what about the big picture? The ship was previously going to be there from 10am to 6pm - which really means shore time of 7 hours at best given the need to be back aboard by 5:30, and the ship not being cleared exactly at 10am. So for the sake of 7 hours on a boring island (to me), you are talking yourself into having a miserable cruise. Please don't do that. As said by the others, you are never guaranteed to see any of the ports. I've had the entire itinerary changed because of a hurricane. I've missed ports because it was unsafe to tender ashore (choppy water).
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

It may be a boring island to you, but considering this is only my second cruise and on the last one I only went to two islands I highly doubt that it would be "boring" to me. Especially since I would have been able to sleep in and be well rested for a great day of hiking, or river tubing, or any other number of shore excursions that would fit in those 7 hours.

BUT please don't think I will let this ruin my cruise. I already booked a spa appointment that I was trying to squeeze into the embarkment day. This type of poor customer service is just a pet peeve of mine. Sure CCL reserves the right to change itineraries but it should be done for a more valid reason (hurricanes, swine flu, security issues). Not so they can save money and take away from the guest.

;-)
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I guess it's lucky you wer not booked on the Bermuda cruise, that ended up doing Canada

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Admiral

I understand how you feel about missing Dominica. I've been there several ( 3 times I think ) times, although I haven't been for a few years. I always loved the place because it was not over developed like a lot of the other islands.
However, I don't see your point about them canceling Dominica to save fuel as they have to sail right past the place going and coming so stopping would seem to be saving them more fuel than keeping a ship of that size at sea all day.
There most likely is another reason for changing the itin. rather than the fuel issue. However, it would be nice of they gave an explanation, not that most people would believe it anyway.
I would be disappointed too and as I said before , I've been there 3 times and would love to go back. But, you still have a good itin. and who knows--you may love a day at sea to kick back and do nothing but watch the water, flying fish and people watch!!
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
First Mate

Our first cruise was an action packed itinerary like the one you booked, and we regretted it. Too exhausting. We now look for one with a couple of sea days. If we had known they were going to add a sea day to this itinerary we may have considered it ourselves. Trust us, it is not a bad thing. Maybe it is serindipity.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Our next cruise is 28 nights around the Caribbean so I reckon the odd sea day or two will be a welcome break from feeling you "have to do something",disappointing when you miss a port though. One thing though is you wiill meet people who ''only booked the cruise because of that port!''
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Don't forget that the engines are still running when in port to provide electricity and hotel services such as A/C, potable water, septic systems, etc. By not stopping they are saving the fuel they'd be burning while sitting in port not going anywhere. Also, the fuel burned in port may have to be higher grade diesel (more expensive) than the stuff they can use while in international waters, like Heavy Bunker C grade.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Well, I'm no expert but for a ship to sit and " Idle " all day in a port seems to me would be using less fuel than one doing 15-18 knots through the sea.A ship as big as the Victory has to burn more to push that much weight and bulk through the water than it would sitting at " idle" tied to a dock. Kinda like letting a car idle--are you burning more at idling speed or burning more at 60 ---70 mph. on the road?
But again, as said, I'm no expert but I still think their change was something other than trying to save a few hundred gallons of fuel.
I would be more inclined to think it had something to do with passenger response regarding Dominica.There's a lot of people who don't care for the place, they are only there from 10 a.m until 6 p.m. and if there was enough negative response about the port, they might have decided to drop it on that accord. Regarding dropping one of the ports to save fuel, wouldn't it have been more fuel efficient to have dropped Barbados, as it's the farthest away for San Juan than any of the other ports and for every mile traveled away from the home port, that's another mile you have to travel back to the home port-- But Barbados seems to be much more popular with the passengers than Dominica so they would have had to consider that---- but, who knows the reason-- I don't --but I don't think it's a fuel issue.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Admiral

There is basically nothing much in Dominica to interest those who want to shop or lie on a beach with "facilities"...lots for those who are interested in the beauty of nature. Unfortunately I fear the latter are outnumbered by the former.
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

What I'm saying is they still have to cover the miles between ports, whether they stop in Dominica or not. It is reasonable to assume a day at sea with it's reduced speed and use of cheaper fuel is cheaper than spending a day in port burning the expensive stuff, and then having to run at higher speed overnight in order to get to the next port. Especially when the fuel cost is offset by another day of onboard spending.

I trust that Carnival wouldn't fabricate a story. It is too easy to be exposed. Fuel cost may not be the sole reason, but if they indeed said it then they have documentation to prove it is at least part of the reason.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Admiral

One thing however, that occurs to me, is when a "sea day" appears we all spend money on the ship that we otherwise would have either not spent or spent ashore....they open the shops up too. A bit of extra OBC would help....