Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Unhappy Carnival canceled our booking

Just needed to vent here. Our family had booked our first Carnival cruise on the Inspiration to sail on April 28, 2011. Already made reservations for excursions in Cozumel and was really getting excited about it. Granted, this cruise is almost 8 months away... but I had NO IDEA that a cruise line would actually cancel a cruise like this. Yesterday evening I get an email from Carnival with only a picture attachment. In the attachment it basically said, "sorry... the ship has been chartered and we are canceling your booking." I thought it was some sort of spam or scam, but I called my agent and he confirmed the ship has been chartered.

I'm certainly glad I had not made my airline purchases yet... although they did offer $200 shipboard credit for those who had. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a normal occurrence for Carnival (or other cruise lines)?

Thanks for letting me vent. Going to go look for a replacement sailing now. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm so glad you had not booked air yet, as well! This happens once in a while...Oprah once chartered an RCI ship for a birthday party... Start your search again..,the odds are in your favor now! And that credit will soothe your mind and wallet

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

It doesn't happen often....in the almost 40 Carnival cruises we have done in the past 12 years...it has never happened to us.

But it does happen on all the mass market cruise lines.

If they get the chance for a charter...they are going to take it.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Same goes for me. We've been cruising for 40 years or so as well, and never had one canceled. So sorry it happened to you, but as noted above, now you'll have a nice start on paying for the next cruise. I'll bet you can find an even better cruise to replace your canceled one. (How about "Legend"?

"SKY"
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Every once in a while, they get a full ship charter and the currently booked passengers get canceled. Take the $200 OBC and pick another cruise, have a good cruise and spend their money well!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Sometimes these charters are down for special events like the Rock Boat or maybe a faith based group.

If you really liked the itinerary and date do a web search on them. You may find the group that has charted the ship and be able to join them. But if so, make sure you will fit in.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Admiral

I am sorry this happend to you. It does happen once in a while, and it's not just Carnival.
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, I have heard of this happening, wonder who chartered the ship??

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Familiar Face

I had a reservation for an RCI-cruise that was overbooked.
They only did this cruise 2 times that year and I was asked if I could do a similar cruise the next year instead. I would get my money back, except the taxes, and get the cruise the year after for free.

Seems like a fair deal I think.

In my case I was anyway about to cancel my cruise so I accepted the deal and went one year later, almost for free. 8)

I don't know how they can overbook a cruise as you book a special cabin number, but maybe it has to do with the guarantee cabins?

/Erik
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Funnel, the way I understand it is that they will overbook because they know there will be so many people who cancel. They want to sail as full as possible. Most of the time it works out, but there are times that not enough people cancel and they are overbooked.
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sometimes, the crusie line, reaalllly wants your cabin,and they make you an offer you just cannot refuse! Over the years here, I have heard of some dandy ones!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Emma's Dad, glad you came here to vent. Even happier to hear your positive attitude about the situation. Go ahead and book another cruise and I know you'll have a great time. Be sure to come back and let us know how much fun you have.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Never happened to me, but book another ship and enjoy the credit.
Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the insight for occasions such as this one. We originally booked this cruise out of coincidence. We were planning a stay in Tampa to visit Busch Gardens (We have platinum passes and go regularly to Busch Gardens Williamsburg) and planned to stay a week in the Clearwater area at a beachfront hotel. Found out we could cruise on the Inspiration for less than $300 a person for 4 nights! It was a great deal not to pass up. BUT... my MIL made a big deal about traveling to Mexico since the media has been hyping the murders and drug wars going on there. So now that the cruise got canceled, both my DW and MIL are thinking we shouldn't go at all. PLUS... Carnival was NOT offering any kind of special deals because of cancellation (the $200 credit was only for those who had booked flights).

DW and I have only been on one cruise before... and that was on the Big Red Boat back in the '90s. DW did NOT like that cruise. So I was shocked to hear that she was interested in going on a Carnival cruise. I'm prior US Navy, so I've had my share of cruises But I need to figure out how to get DW back on the cruise plan again.
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Maybe do an Eastern Caribbean, although I think the problems over Mexico are way over hyped. Good luck talking DW into a different cruise.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Take it as "it was meant to be" book another cruise and enjoy!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tell her to call me! We are also in VB, BG Platinum passholders, and wish we could cruise a lot more. We just returned on Sunday from Carnival Pride (out of Baltimore). Even though we lost all our original ports due to Earl and the two ports we did get to were nothing like what was originally scheduled (sorry, don't consider Port Canaveral to be anything to brag about!) we still had a blast! My husband is also ex-Navy, and now rides ships as a contractor...and he still loves getting on a "fun" cruise. Go to some of the Cruise Reviews on here and let her hear how much fun others have, and before you know it she will be on board with another cruise! Good Luck!
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Familiar Face

For $200, I'd rebook. I guess that means I'm CHEAP and EASY!
-2007 RCCL Liberty of the Seas-Caribbean
-2010-2011 Carnival Freedom New Years cruise-Caribbean, NCL Epic
-2011-Celebrity Solstice
-2012RCCL Allure of the Seas
-2013-NCL Breakaway and CCL Breeze
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
Tell her to call me! We are also in VB, BG Platinum passholders, and wish we could cruise a lot more. We just returned on Sunday from Carnival Pride (out of Baltimore). Even though we lost all our original ports due to Earl and the two ports we did get to were nothing like what was originally scheduled (sorry, don't consider Port Canaveral to be anything to brag about!) we still had a blast! My husband is also ex-Navy, and now rides ships as a contractor...and he still loves getting on a "fun" cruise. Go to some of the Cruise Reviews on here and let her hear how much fun others have, and before you know it she will be on board with another cruise! Good Luck!
Small world, isn't it? I'm still working on her... guess time will tell. Glad I found a neighbor here!
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

This could be a blessing. I was on the Celebrity Century in the early 90's and discovered that darn near everyone else on the cruise was involved with a Mahjong tournament! It might be better to get bumped from a cruise rather than unexpectedly find yourself on board a 'themed' cruise.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Thanks for all the insight for occasions such as this one. We originally booked this cruise out of coincidence. We were planning a stay in Tampa to visit Busch Gardens (We have platinum passes and go regularly to Busch Gardens Williamsburg) and planned to stay a week in the Clearwater area at a beachfront hotel. Found out we could cruise on the Inspiration for less than $300 a person for 4 nights! It was a great deal not to pass up. BUT... my MIL made a big deal about traveling to Mexico since the media has been hyping the murders and drug wars going on there. So now that the cruise got canceled, both my DW and MIL are thinking we shouldn't go at all. PLUS... Carnival was NOT offering any kind of special deals because of cancellation (the $200 credit was only for those who had booked flights).

DW and I have only been on one cruise before... and that was on the Big Red Boat back in the '90s. DW did NOT like that cruise. So I was shocked to hear that she was interested in going on a Carnival cruise. I'm prior US Navy, so I've had my share of cruises But I need to figure out how to get DW back on the cruise plan again.
We just finished a 5 day to Progresso Mexico and Cozumel Mexico with out any issues. Most of the hype about drugs and murders are in the border towns not the resort areas.
Book that cruise and have a great time!!
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
This could be a blessing. I was on the Celebrity Century in the early 90's and discovered that darn near everyone else on the cruise was involved with a Mahjong tournament! It might be better to get bumped from a cruise rather than unexpectedly find yourself on board a 'themed' cruise.
Yeah... I definitely do not want to take the chance of being booked with a themed group. You never know what you might get!
Old September 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Default Ecstasy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieB1116;1315655[COLOR="Red"
]We just finished a 5 day to Progresso Mexico and Cozumel Mexico [/COLOR]with out any issues. Most of the hype about drugs and murders are in the border towns not the resort areas.
Book that cruise and have a great time!!
Did you cruise on the Ecstasy out of Galveston? I was wondering since I have booked the DW and I on our first "real" cruise, and would like some input on the ship and destinations.
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Captain

The crime problem is not in tourist areas like Progresso and Cozumel. The Mexican Riviera - yes, but even the piece on the news lately about Cancun was not in a tourist area, but was a local's establishment and was reportedly a personal thing, not a big gang war.

We have been on two cruises where there were very large groups on board and it cut into some of our enjoyment. i.e. the early show each evening was reserved for their group and the large bar with the big dance floor was reserved each night for their group. Not a biggie, but it did make a difference.

It may have made no difference, but take it as what's meant to be and have fun shopping for that perfect cruise - especially with some extra cash!
MB