Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Default New Cruiser Need Suggestions! :)

Hello everyone,

I will be going on my first cruise on Sept 26th on the Carnival Valor out of Miami. Anyways the flight I have booked is leaving at 7:30 at night but the carnival cruise docs around 8 am I believe. I'm not sure how the disembarkment process works are you allowed to doddle on checkout and have breakfast on the boat and take your time to pack etc. I was thinking it would be swell to check out the beach or bayside market but the only problem is we will have our luggage with us. Has anyone ever tried bringing there luggage to the beach? Is there anything in walking distance from the port? Or maybe checking our luggage only at the hotel for a part day is available I've never tried, is it expensive?
Any ideas or suggestions for things to do so I dont have to sit at the airport for 12 hours would be much appreciated. Looking for cost effective ideas preferably.

Thanks for your replies! :razz:
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
First Mate

You will need to pack the night before and have your bags (except your carry on) put outside your door for pickup by midnight. In the morn you have time for breakfest they won't start embarkation till the ship is cleared by customs, so debarkation won't start till around 0900. You can doddle around the lido deck with your carry on till they call everybody off. Something to check on is if the ship has the airline/baggage deal for $20 a bag. They take your bags right to the airport and check the bags , you don't see them till you get to home airport. We did this 2 times it works. I don't know if this ship has this.
Take a tax to the market, you can kill several hrs there or doodle all afternoon till you need to be at the airport. I don't know what else to do with your bags if you can't do this. You can book some excursions from the ship and they handle your bags. Check with ship.
You would have to go to a hotel or call one and ask if they would keep your bags.
Nothing to walk to from the cruise port, have to take a tax.
Have a great cruise. Late afternoon flts make for a long day we go to a hotel and fly out the next morn now.

Last edited by Dutchman; September 6th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we cruised on he Valor a couple of years ago, we also scheduled a flight for early evening.
We rented a car and spent the day at the beach and exploring Miami. Luggage just stayed in the car while we played, just be safe with where you park.
If I remember correct, the car rental was about the same cost as transfers from the ship to the airport. Even if it's more, it's worth the extra cost to spend the day enjoying Miami and it's beaches.
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Familiar Face

I also have a late flight out of Miami, we are going to the airport to store our luggage, they have a place that charges $8.00 a bag per day. Then we are taking the Airport Shuttle straight to South Beach for $2.25, if it rains there is also a bus that will take you to the mall. for $1.25. Just pack your day bag and head out. If you go to bayside you will be paying approx $24.00 each way for a cab and that's not counting from the port to the airport, or you could do as we were going to at first and rent a car, keep luggage with us, but the parking fees for the beach and bayside and the hassle wasn't worth it. We will let someone else do the driving, and all for $4.50 round trip to the beach.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef View Post
When we cruised on he Valor a couple of years ago, we also scheduled a flight for early evening.
We rented a car and spent the day at the beach and exploring Miami. Luggage just stayed in the car while we played, just be safe with where you park.
If I remember correct, the car rental was about the same cost as transfers from the ship to the airport. Even if it's more, it's worth the extra cost to spend the day enjoying Miami and it's beaches.
I have to say that I think your response to this question was one of the most logical ones I have ever seen. Did you have to make your way to the airport to pick up the car or were you able to pick up a car at the cruise terminal?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days