Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Familiar Face

Default Conquest or Spirit class?

We're planning a cruise to the Western Caribbean in Feb or March of 2011 and wondering which class ship is more favorable. I am hearing mixed reviews. There will be 2 adult couples. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Familiar Face

I should say that we prefer open dining to having an assigned time and table.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Either class would be GREAT, and either class will offer the open dining that you prefer. I personally, prefer "Spirit" class ships, as they are a bit smaller, a few less people on board, and I GREATLY prefer the layout of the Lido deck pool area, and particularly the aft pool area. Spirit class ships have the aft pool open to the fresh air, and sea, while Conquest class ships have glass windows that completely surround the aft pool area. The only advantage, IMO, is that during rainy or bad weather, the Conquest class ships can also close in the roof of the aft pool area. Also, the mid ship pool area on Conquest class ships are terraced, while the Spirit class ships mid ship pool area is flat. Once again, a matter of taste, but I personally prefer the flat pool area.
Spirit Class ships have one main dining room, while Conquest Class ships have two. (Aft dining room on Conquest class ships are a pain in the @ss to get to until you get used to the ship layout.)
Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I have always said that the Spirit class has the same amenities of the Conquest class (except fish N chips) with 700 less people!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I have always said that the Spirit class has the same amenities of the Conquest class (except fish N chips) with 700 less people!!
That is funny I was going to suggest the conquest ship because of the fish n chips. I love the seafood boullibase at the fish n chips.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; September 6th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I MUST agree that the "fish-n-chips" place is a big plus for the Conquest Class. As I said, there are positives, and negatives for both classes of ships. It just depends on what's the most important for you.
Some of the Conquest Class have the MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) as well. (Actually, I think that Princess calls it MUTS, but it's the same thing. BIG screen outside by the mid ship pool.) Lots of folks really like that, but I personally couldn't care less one way or the other.

"SKY"
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would offer my opinion with the Conquest class ...wonderful public spaces, but areas where you can be less crowded..The hidden jewel for me, was the aft pool...everythinbg you wanted in a cozy area..we watched a wild storm in Grand Cayman, with nary a drop of rain on us, to spoil Mother Nature's wrath!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would offer my opinion with the Conquest class ...wonderful public spaces, but areas where you can be less crowded..The hidden jewel for me, was the aft pool...everythinbg you wanted in a cozy area..we watched a wild storm in Grand Cayman, with nary a drop of rain on us, to spoil Mother Nature's wrath!
You're so right about the aft pool area Trip. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I can always be found in that area, on either class ship. You're also right about the aft pool area aboard Conquest Class ships during a storm, or rain. You stay nice and dry, (assuming that a ships officer notices that a storm is coming, and closes the lid!) however, during the normal sunny, dry days, I still prefer the open aft area of the Spirit Class ships. (Both have the frozen yogurt/soft serve in that area however!)

"SKY"
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Admiral

I like them both but I prefer the Spirit class for the pools being on a flat deck, aft pool, and easier to get around. Having said that I usually choose a ship based on which ports it goes to, time of year, and how many sea days. My next cruise is on another Conquest class so I will do either.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean