Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Ron--I like a lot of the changes that were made when 'my way or the highway' Bob left. More positive than negative IMHO.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014

Last edited by Snoozeman; September 27th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I in no way meant to browbeat, belittle, flog nor make the OP walk the plank. I know she was disappointed in having the Itin. changed.--been there done that. She was concerned that she wasn't notified until after they rec'd their sail/sign cards. There's probably a reasonable explanation for that. Ok--that can be lived with.
However I think she was concerned about how Carnival reacted to her complaint regarding her and her friends bathing suits. If they were $10.dollar suits from Walmart I doubt that she would have complained , so one has to reasonably think she had purchased a pretty nice piece of swimwear. Something apparently in the water caused it to fade, maybe the chlorine mix was too strong--who knows-- at any rate to be rebuffed and basically have the blame laid on the OP for the swimsuit problem by the customer service ( or lack of customer service) people,aboard was a little much on Carnivals part. And where did they come up with a $9.47 refund? That would make me hotter under the collar than anything they apparently did or did not do. I think someone would have had to do a better job of explaining the refund of the $9.47 and explain how it was my fault my bathing suit was ruined because I used one of their facilities.
I may be wrong but I've been on over 20 carnival cruises and it seems to me that since Bob Dickinson retired and the new CEO took over, that Carnival has taken a step back in customer relations and service. I went on the Dream back in Jan. basically to see what it was all about, took another cruise in April but it was on RCCL and have one coming up in a few days, and again on RCCL. So, who knows--maybe it just seems that way to me
because I'm getting old and cranky !!
Hopefully the OP will continue to cruise and enjoy all the fun things that cruising can be and if unhappy with Carnival, try another line, which ever one it may be. Sometimes it just works out that crap happens in a series of steps that seem to mess up a vacation whether on land or sea.
Hopefully the next cruise for her will fall into step the way it should.
I think you misunderstood the OP. I believe the $9.47 was a refund for the port fee for missing Freeport. She has not received anything for the swimsuit and that is a large part of the issue. They don't want to refund her without a receipt, which is a huge stall tactic by the cruiseline. What the OP might do is go on line and find her suit print out the page with the price and take a picture of the suit then enclose both with a written letter requesting a refund.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

The suit issue IS what has me the most upset. I have been going back and forth with Guest Relations. The last straw was when I was told that I absolutely had to have the receipt, they wouldn't consider a similar suit as a replacement. Well, I wasn't going to stand for that when the friend whose suit was also damaged (but not nearly as badly as mine!) was told that she could buy a replacement and submit that receipt - which was the exact opposite of what they were telling me! Still talking to them, and I won't back down on this one!
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Conflicting answers to the same question,would also drive me crazy..you go girl

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

All I can say is this - you may have a good point, but good luck...

As long as they make good on the Port charges I don't see how they can be held responsible for anything else that happened.

The closed beaches in Port Canaveral are the "fault" of Port Canaveral, and the great weathermaster in the sky. - no cruise line fault there.

And Carnival didn't change the color of the bathing suit, the bathing suit changed color. What kind of bathing suit cannot handle being in a hot tub? I don't get it. But I assume the bathing suit had a label, if so it should warn you about where not to wear it, if it doesn't, then it is the swimming suit manufacturer's fault for not having a label.

I do not mean to be cynical or biased. I am not either. I just hate to see people steaming about a grievance where they are probably not going to see any satisfaction.

Now - if you were thrown into the hotub or if Carnival sold you the swimsuit that would be different, but they had nothing to do with your choice of swimwear.

Here is a list of bathing suit dos and donts:

http://www.swimmart.com/swimmart/dept.asp?dept_id=3029

PROPER CARE FOR SWIMWEAR

SWIMWEAR DO'S AND DON'TS

SWIMWEAR DO'S

Before First Use Only: Soak swimwear in a mixture of vinegar and water for approx. 30 minutes. (1 tablespoon per 1 quart of water). This will slow down fading and keep bright colors vibrant longer.

* Before going into the pool, shower swimsuit and soak with clear water. This will help suit absorb less chlorine.

* Rinse your swimsuit in cool water immediately after swimming in chlorinated water or salt water.

* Wash your swimwear separately until any excess dye washes out. Most swimsuit will bleed a little first few times it is washed. This is normal, bleeding will stop.

* Hand wash in cool water. It is always best to use a swimsuit cleaner . It neutralizes chemicals that eat away at the material and extends the life of your new bathing suit. Regular soap can not do this. If you don't have swimsuit cleaner, use a mild liquid soap (NO WOOLITE!). Rinse well.

* To squeeze out excess water, Roll swimsuit in a clean, lint, free, light-colored, fade resistant towel and squeeze.

* To remove a stain, work from the underside of the stain to push it out, not rub it in.

* If a swimsuit is spot cleaned, air dry the suit. Then, if the stain is not gone, you can treat it again.

SWIMWEAR DON'TS

* Do not sit on the pool edge or boat without using a towel. Abrasiveness causes snagged bottoms.

* Do not rub the front of your suit along the inner edge of the pool. The Lycra filaments will snag causing them to break. Your suit will have that "pilled" look.

*Do not machine wash or dry. Do not bleach your swimsuit, iron it, wash it with whites or put in the dryer. Excessive dryer heat will destroy your swimsuit. Washing machines and detergents are too harsh and will lead to premature swimsuit breakdown.

* Do not leave rolled up in wet towels or in gym bag. Moisture left in your swimsuit for extended periods of time will lead to unwanted odor and swimsuit failure.

* Avoid oil base suntan lotion. Oils are harmful to swimwear and elastic and will stain some fabrics.

* Do not wear your new bathing suit in a hot tub or Jacuzzi. No swimsuit will hold up when used in hot tubs, Jacuzzis, or heavily chlorinated pools. Such as public or hote/motel pools. SwimMart recommends using an old suit.

* Use extra caution with holographic or metallic fabrics, they are very delicate. These swimsuits are for show only. The metallic glitter or shiny finish will eventually wear off.

In accordance with Health Department Regulations, ABSOLUTELY NO SWIMWEAR will be returned or exchanged once worn, soiled or washed. In the unlikely event of a manufacturers defect, each case will be handled on an individual basis, working closely with manufacturer to rectify the problem.

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Default Oh My.

Great post Paul. She should have known the limitations of her suit before wearing it. We were all thinking it, but glad you posted it. Each cruise ship should have a copy at Guest Relations.

You made me brave enough to mention another one of my cruise pet peeves: If people would read the signs at the hot tubs it says to shower BEFORE entering the pool or hot tub. That is for a reason, but I rarely see anyone doing it and that was after they saw me do it. I don't use the hot tubs on a cruise ship as people go in sweaty, wear tons of sun block, wear band aids, and no telling what else. I only hit the pools on a port day morning when the water is fresh. I'll swim at home, thanks to people who don't follow common courtesy on board ship. (Two other related pet peeves previous mentioned: kids in diapers, and people who wear their sandals into shallow edge of pool.)

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul,
I did wet the suit before entering the hottub. While we were soaking it shut off and we were unable to start the bubbles back up. A Carnival employee came and helped us get them started again, and I believe that's where the problem started. After a few minutes we felt burning in our eyes and smelled a VERY strong chlorine smell. This is what prompted us to get out of the spa. This all happened in just a few minutes. I think the employee may have unknowingly caused a super-chlorination process to start (we saw signs up when leaving the ship warning that this was being done the morning of debarkation). Let me stress that we DID NOT see any signs warning of this when we entered the spa, nor did we remove any barriers. The chlorine smell remained on our skin for at least two days, and the suit (even after Carnival laundered it) still has an alarming smell. I am sorry, but they definitely ruined the suit and I will accept no fault for it. If it had faded a little, that would be one thing, but that is no where near what happened here. I hope you can understand my frustration - and I hope I don't sound too *****y. That is not my intent whatsoever. I just want them to accept responsibility - and I expressed concern about what a safety issue I felt this was while on the cruise.
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

this is what the suit looks like now. The bottom was the darkest brown on the top. And this wasn't the first time the suit had been worn, but it was still in new condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00060.jpg (91.2 KB, 24 views)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, that's a good one. This did turn into a discussion over bathing suits.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
Paul,
I did wet the suit before entering the hottub. While we were soaking it shut off and we were unable to start the bubbles back up. A Carnival employee came and helped us get them started again, and I believe that's where the problem started. After a few minutes we felt burning in our eyes and smelled a VERY strong chlorine smell. This is what prompted us to get out of the spa. This all happened in just a few minutes. I think the employee may have unknowingly caused a super-chlorination process to start (we saw signs up when leaving the ship warning that this was being done the morning of debarkation). Let me stress that we DID NOT see any signs warning of this when we entered the spa, nor did we remove any barriers. The chlorine smell remained on our skin for at least two days, and the suit (even after Carnival laundered it) still has an alarming smell. I am sorry, but they definitely ruined the suit and I will accept no fault for it. If it had faded a little, that would be one thing, but that is no where near what happened here. I hope you can understand my frustration - and I hope I don't sound too *****y. That is not my intent whatsoever. I just want them to accept responsibility - and I expressed concern about what a safety issue I felt this was while on the cruise.
Bottom line, how much is that suit worth?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Suit still has the labels in it.

Future Cruises:
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to unfdoug Send a message via Yahoo to unfdoug

Good luck on your bathing suit.

Getting down to brass tacks, you wont get anywhere with the cruise line. My friend experienced a similar situation on the Celebration a few years ago.

Take the loss and I'm sure somewhere you can write it off in your 2010 taxes

Weekly radio show at http://www.cruiseradio.net
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to sgtmomret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
All I can say is this - you may have a good point, but good luck...

As long as they make good on the Port charges I don't see how they can be held responsible for anything else that happened.

The closed beaches in Port Canaveral are the "fault" of Port Canaveral, and the great weathermaster in the sky. - no cruise line fault there.

And Carnival didn't change the color of the bathing suit, the bathing suit changed color. What kind of bathing suit cannot handle being in a hot tub? I don't get it. But I assume the bathing suit had a label, if so it should warn you about where not to wear it, if it doesn't, then it is the swimming suit manufacturer's fault for not having a label.

I do not mean to be cynical or biased. I am not either. I just hate to see people steaming about a grievance where they are probably not going to see any satisfaction.

Now - if you were thrown into the hotub or if Carnival sold you the swimsuit that would be different, but they had nothing to do with your choice of swimwear.

Here is a list of bathing suit dos and donts:

PROPER CARE FOR SWIMWEAR Department

PROPER CARE FOR SWIMWEAR

SWIMWEAR DO'S AND DON'TS

SWIMWEAR DO'S

Before First Use Only: Soak swimwear in a mixture of vinegar and water for approx. 30 minutes. (1 tablespoon per 1 quart of water). This will slow down fading and keep bright colors vibrant longer.

* Before going into the pool, shower swimsuit and soak with clear water. This will help suit absorb less chlorine.

* Rinse your swimsuit in cool water immediately after swimming in chlorinated water or salt water.

* Wash your swimwear separately until any excess dye washes out. Most swimsuit will bleed a little first few times it is washed. This is normal, bleeding will stop.

* Hand wash in cool water. It is always best to use a swimsuit cleaner . It neutralizes chemicals that eat away at the material and extends the life of your new bathing suit. Regular soap can not do this. If you don't have swimsuit cleaner, use a mild liquid soap (NO WOOLITE!). Rinse well.

* To squeeze out excess water, Roll swimsuit in a clean, lint, free, light-colored, fade resistant towel and squeeze.

* To remove a stain, work from the underside of the stain to push it out, not rub it in.

* If a swimsuit is spot cleaned, air dry the suit. Then, if the stain is not gone, you can treat it again.

SWIMWEAR DON'TS

* Do not sit on the pool edge or boat without using a towel. Abrasiveness causes snagged bottoms.

* Do not rub the front of your suit along the inner edge of the pool. The Lycra filaments will snag causing them to break. Your suit will have that "pilled" look.

*Do not machine wash or dry. Do not bleach your swimsuit, iron it, wash it with whites or put in the dryer. Excessive dryer heat will destroy your swimsuit. Washing machines and detergents are too harsh and will lead to premature swimsuit breakdown.

* Do not leave rolled up in wet towels or in gym bag. Moisture left in your swimsuit for extended periods of time will lead to unwanted odor and swimsuit failure.

* Avoid oil base suntan lotion. Oils are harmful to swimwear and elastic and will stain some fabrics.

* Do not wear your new bathing suit in a hot tub or Jacuzzi. No swimsuit will hold up when used in hot tubs, Jacuzzis, or heavily chlorinated pools. Such as public or hote/motel pools. SwimMart recommends using an old suit.

* Use extra caution with holographic or metallic fabrics, they are very delicate. These swimsuits are for show only. The metallic glitter or shiny finish will eventually wear off.

In accordance with Health Department Regulations, ABSOLUTELY NO SWIMWEAR will be returned or exchanged once worn, soiled or washed. In the unlikely event of a manufacturers defect, each case will be handled on an individual basis, working closely with manufacturer to rectify the problem.
lol you can't be real lol... my bathsuit; which I had for a few years and has been in many hot tubs faded on me in a hot tub last year. Now I feel two things made this happen 1. They added way to much chemicals per water ratio and 2. I sat right in front of the jet which intensive this reaction . My swimsuit was only damaged in the back and on the side. So it's not really if you have a cheap/expensive bath suit, but, that someone screwed up on the chemical measurements. Also have you ever checked out the prices of ladies swim suits. Anyway look at it more positive...you stepped out of the hot tub and you still had a suit on lol.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If we were talking about a small resort you might ha e a chance but with CCL you might get reimbursement if you keep trying for a year or so.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If we were talking about a small resort you might ha e a chance but with CCL you might get reimbursement if you keep trying for a year or so.

Old September 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I did finally get them to agree to send me $50. This was after MANY emails. I am satisfied with that, mainly because they accepted some responsibility. The suit cost more than that, but I will settle for this as a compromise.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well, good for you, I am impressed. I have not even heard of such a problem being resolved by email only before, generally it takes regular mail and phone calls.

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Your perseverance won out....yayay you!

Old September 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Like you said, it isn't much, but at least its something, good for you!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Everyone who cruises on a regular basis has experienced itinerary changes, especially during hurricane season. It's a part of the cruising experience.
when you choose to cruise during hurricane season, you must be willing to accept the unexpected itinerary change. Missing a port and being refunded the port charges is common practice, and the only reason the captain would choose to omit any port is if it was a safety hazard that the captain feels is too great to chance. (we missed Cabo on the last cruise I was on that also sailed on Aug 29th)

Last edited by Donna; September 27th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: remove link
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencoo12 View Post
when you choose to cruise during hurricane season, you must be willing to accept the unexpected itinerary change. Missing a port and being refunded the port charges is common practice, and the only reason the captain would choose to omit any port is if it was a safety hazard that the captain feels is too great to chance. (we missed Cabo on the last cruise I was on that also sailed on Aug 29th)

I see it's your 1st post, Welcome to Cruisemates!
(I hope your real and not a bot)

Future Cruises:
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Beginner

While there is no excuse for the attitude you got from customer service, I can't really blame Carnival for asking for a receipt. Yes, it's unrealistic to keep receipts for all your clothing or anything else you bring with you on a cruise. But how else is a cruise line supposed to know the value of the bathing suit? Even if you found the exact same bathing suit and sent in that receipt with some sort of proof that is the exact same suit, you could have purchased the original on sale. I'm not suggesting that you were trying to do anything underhanded, but I bet there are a lot of people who would inflate the value of a damaged item to try to get a bigger payment. How is the cruise line supposed to know who is honest and who is not?

Carnival is not out of bounds for asking for a receipt. A few years ago, my dry cleaner showed me my ruined shirt. An ink pen got into the load and the blouse I only had two weeks was ruined. This was clearly the dry cleaners fault as they had my shirt in their possession when it was inked. They offered me an amount much less than my purchase price and told me they would pay me in full if I brought in the receipt. When I did, they paid the full price.

I'm glad you got some payment from Carnival. If my dry cleaner ruined a swim suit, they probably would have only offered me $25 without a receipt.
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Paul your post cracked me up "swimsuit failure" sounds like a big issue. If you can't wear a swimsuit in the hot tub then what should you wear? They say an old swimsuit that is not going to happen. Who goes on a cruise and brings an old swimsuit? Who is following all these swimsuit "rules".

After hearing fourxbusymom story and seeing her swimsuit. I believe this was Carnival's error I'm glad she got some money for a replacement. Women's swimsuits are expensive and it's hard to find one you like. I hate swimsuit shopping.:-x

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Familiar Face

We just returned from a Carnival cruise that had been scheduled to visit Key West. Unfortunately, we were forced to skip this port due to poor weather conditions, or so we were told. I noticed upon my return that two ships made Key West on the day in question. One of those ships was with us in Nassau and left that port the same day as us. I would conclude that it wasn,t actually a safety issue as much as a port issue. It looks as if Key West can only have two ships at one time. I don't blame Carnival for the problem, but would prefer to get the real reason for the missed port. Of course, there could be other facts I am not aware of, but it does cause me to wonder.
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Admiral

a - I've only been to KW once so this may not be quite right. But while a particular port may have dock space for only a few ships, other ships can weigh anchor and tender their passengers in to port. Tendering can be very dangerous in high seas.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default KW

apiper: KW always has issues with the cruise ships. It's not exactly a cruise ship friendly town, the locals look at it as a necessary evil. Depending on the size of ship the weather can effect ships differently. That may be a factor. Also if they have to use the navy pier, it is more difficult to get along side, so that could also be a factor.

Future Cruises:
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sometimes ships are able to dock but tendering is impossible because the ships that have to tender are not within the breakwater area and the seas are too high.

It often happens that after guests are tendered off weather changes make it very difficult to get them back onboard. I have been on several cruises where ports were canceled because of high winds making it impossible to dock or tender.

Old October 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Paul, I can bet that was just the reason they skipped KW, years back,and the bride who had planned her wedding there, was up the creek, waving to her guests on land, as she sailed on by

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Greetings All!

I just returned from the Conquest "7 Day Cruise to Cozumel" !

While I can sympathize with the frustration and disappointment of missing not one, but 2 ports......I just can't understand the anger and hostility toward the crew & cruiseline .....

I am not talking about a couple of peeps, but a few that were going around trying to get everyone agitated, and screaming demands
Many, many removed gratuities, in the goal to "hurt Carnival", but the only ones hurt were the people helping the passengers the most - cabin steward and their teams and the wait staff teams.

The cruise contract clearly states that that missed ports or changes in itinerary are NOT part of a guarantee (sorry, do not have the original wording, but, you get the point).

While the cruiselines were tracking Matthew , ts Nicole came out of nowhere. The Captain DID try to get into Jamaica three times before calling the port off. The storm came fast and without much warning.
Grand Cayman was closed by the Port authorities.

So, I would suggest carefully picking your dates to not cruise during hurricane season, and such problems may or may not come up, but it is more of a crap shoot if you choose to cruise in September. My choice.....take it in stride, go with the flow, and have a blast!!!!!

Laura

Carnival
Elation - 2003, 2004
Conquest - 2005, 2009, 2010
Spirit - 2009
Royal Caribbean
Rhapsody - 2005

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Some hurricane seasons, go by with hardly a blip, others, like year, have been active, and, according to what I just read, will continue on well into November..Its the luck of the draw...I had an "almost" issue once,and we missed a port, getting more fuel, just in case we were at sea,and could not get back to Florida....

I have loved traveling this time of year, leaving leaves of gold, to go back to HHH I will leave the end of this month,and hope for the best, but, with full realization, it may be a cruise with no ports of call...

Travelingranny..back on 08,there was almost an uprising with the passengers going on an entirely different route...youtube, captured their craziness, and it was sad...one minute they were going with the flow,and the next they were demanding cruisers!