Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM
Passenger

Default self disembarkation

I just realized that one can self disembark off of a ship.....I will have a flight to catch at 12:45pm from LAX once I return from my cruise with the Carnival Paradise on Friday, Oct 1st.
In you opinion, would self disembarkation be the best option to ensure that I catch my flight on time?? If so...
* Does anyone know what time I will be released from the ship approximately?
*Will my post transfer thru Carnival take me to the airport that early?

Thanks

Julie

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Just returned from a cruise and I did not self disembark, I was off before 9:00 am. I have never used the self disembark program but have never been off later than 10:00 on any ship.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its usually quicker to just take a cab to the airport, rather than wait for the transfer, just a thought. I think you have enough time without doing the self disembarkment.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Carnival will assign you a disembarkation group based on your flight's departure time. You should be off the ship in plenty of time. We had an early flight from San Juan and sat comfortably in the theater while the self-assist people waited in line. The first several groups were released ahead of the self assist group.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Self assist is only as good as the people and circumstances on each ship...ours was a pain in the patoot on the Conquest. If you have minimal luggage, it will be smoother. Heavy,or multiple pieces, and, it can get out of hand easy.

Another thing to remember, is that transfer bus, must get filled before it can leave, so, time saving it isn't.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The Carnival Paradise debarkation starts early. They are docked by 5:30 am at Long Beach as they really don't sail very far on either itinerary. It's goes fast. If you have small bags, I'd still use self, you just don't have to be in a real big hurry. I think 2/3 of the pax used self when I was on the Paradise. The buses are very close and they will leave early.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Passenger

We do the Self Assist all the time & have never had a problem before. We sailed on Splendor in August & it was a bit of a time crunch. Seems like more & more people are doing this so it is taking a lot more time & you know how some are about following instructions!!! We did make it to LAX on time with not a heck of a lot of time to spare. Flight was at 1:30 & we got off the ship by 10:00. Then it took forever in customs & we had NOTHING to declare. Will probably still do Self Assist but there is always a time when you wish you hadn't.
Have a great cruise...
Libby
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbygms View Post
We do the Self Assist all the time & have never had a problem before. We sailed on Splendor in August & it was a bit of a time crunch. Seems like more & more people are doing this so it is taking a lot more time & you know how some are about following instructions!!! We did make it to LAX on time with not a heck of a lot of time to spare. Flight was at 1:30 & we got off the ship by 10:00. Then it took forever in customs & we had NOTHING to declare. Will probably still do Self Assist but there is always a time when you wish you hadn't.
Have a great cruise...
Libby
She's not on the Splendor, but the Paradise and there is a BIG difference having experienced both this month. I agree with you that the Splendor debarkation is not the best, and Embarkation was much worse.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; September 22nd, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have never done self disembrkation. When I was flying in I have had flights as early as 11:00. There are lots of busses out there and there will be enough for everyone. They know how many are taking Carnival transportation from the sale of tickets. I just got off the Liberty las week. I was off before 9:00 AM. I did not use self assist. They were callng the zones at the same time as the self assists.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain