Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Captain

Default Freedom to Limon and Colon

I see where Carnival has reduced the number of sailings to Limon, Costa Rica and Colon Panama to 1 time per month. Is there a problem with this sailing? There must be a reason the number of sailings have been reduced. Anyone have any input on this? I'm considering this trip, but have reservations about it now.....help!

AKcruiser
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Beginner

I think it's so they can accommodate the other two itineraries (the 6-day and the 7-day). I was on the 8-day Freedom cruise in August and met some people who were in it for all three (21 days).

Great cruise by the way. Zip-lining in Costa Rica was my favorite.
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Admiral

We're booked for February and looking forward to it

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Stay Away

Stay away from this itinerary. I took the Freedom there on the 8 day Cozumel, Limon, Colon and really loved the cruise it self but the ports were awful. The warnings from Carnival the night before in the Carnival Capers newsletter said DO NOT GO OUT AND AROUND BY YOUR SELF OR YOU WILL BE MUGGED OR WORSE. So we took a excursion through the rain forest but 89.50 per person waqs a bit pricey. 2 couples that went out on there own did get mugged - money passports credit card all stolen along with watches and there jewelry. Colon was nothing but a port of shipping containers. And of course another warning of the dangers. My suggestion is go Carnival Liberty Eastern Carribean or 8 day Carnival freedom Eastern would be good too but be careful in Antiqua. Hope this helps. Ed
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Admiral

I did this itinerary and enjoyed it along with Belize. I did ship excursions in Limon to the Sloth Sanctuary, in Colon I did the Grand tour with Carnival saw the Gatun Locks and went by boat in the Gatun Lake to meet the Umbria Indians. These ports are not beachy ports but interesting so I enjoyed them. Belize if included has good snorkling and beach day options on the Cay's outside Belize city.If they include Cozumel it has many nice beaches. Hope this helps.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Admiral

These ports are great shore excursions, but very poor choices for independent travel. Or at least that was my experience. Colon Panama seemed ghetto to me. Guards at grocery stores with automatic weapons .
There really wasn't much located at Limon .
However, at Colon I took part in an excellent excursion to the world famous Panama Canal. In Limon, I took the rain-forest tour by boat and train, which was really cool.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I did this itinerary on Carnival Liberty in 2007. I loved Costa Rica. We took the white water rafting tour. It was absolutely the best tour I have ever taken in 27 years of cruising. Fantastic ride with very experienced guides. Great lunch after the rafting,. They have a place to shower and change. They also video each raft and the videos are available for purchase. A must do tour!!
I have to say that I was completely disappointed in my tour at Colon. I took the Panama City Tour. Bored to tears most of the time. The restaurant that handled the lunch was terrible and the food was inedible. We did get to stop at the locks and watch a ship transit through and see how the mechanismworks. That part was fairly interesting I did hear from a lot of people that the train tour was great a lot of fun and very interesting.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Boy is this a relief to read. I booked the Freedom for January thats taking us to Costa Rica and Panama. I was a little worried but I feel much better now. Im gonna book my excursion in Panama with a tour company that I found on another cruise site. I think the whitewater rafting tour sounds awesome for Costa Rica.
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Familiar Face

It's largely a matter of personal opinion of course, but we took this cruise in 2006 on the Legend and loved it. We still remember it as our favorite cruise. If they still offer the "Two Oceans by Rail" tour in Panama I highly recommend it. I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with the Panama Canal tour either.

We did the "Green Train" tour in Limon and enjoyed it also.

Belize is worth the stop just for the tender ride, even if you don't take a tour, but we had a very good tour there, the "River Wallace/Mayan Ruins tour.

My review is in the Reader Reviews section if you're interested:

Carnival Reviews - Cruise Ship reviews by Cruisemates Readers

I was also disappointed that Carnival reduced the number of sailings on this itinerary; we wanted to take the same cruise again this year but can't make the limited sailings work with our schedule.

I also want to take the 8 day eastern too. Someday I want to get to St. Maarten to see the airplanes landing over the beach!

Andy
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Itineraries such as this gives one a glimpse into the "real" Central America and not simply beaches and tee-shirt shops.

/ticker.png">
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Captain

Thanks so much everyone. Your input was greatly appreciated.....however we decided to book the Spirit 9 day Feb 25 out of San Diego.

Thanks again,

AKcruiser
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcruiser View Post
Thanks so much everyone. Your input was greatly appreciated.....however we decided to book the Spirit 9 day Feb 25 out of San Diego.

Thanks again,

AKcruiser
oooh Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuataejo/Ixtapa ?
Since I loved the other Mexican Riviera intineray, I'll have to visit those ports as well....some day.

/ticker.png">