Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Default Need all the help we can get

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th in 2011. We are land and air oriented, but are going to on a 7 Day cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Ship Valor in April of 2011 out of Miami. Can't wait. We have read a lot on the ships and are getting to Miami a day early and leaving a day after. Our ports are Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel and Isla. A couple of questions.. 1) My wife and I do not swim or do water sports, but we do like to try different restaurants, bars, bands, dancing, shopping, four wheelers and cars with traveling. We could really use some help on where to go at places of port for a good time such as restaurants and bars and good music. 2) I have seen nothing on this as of yet, how much do the restaurants run in port and how much do mixed drinks and beer run and is it all cash. All help is welcomed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default April 2011 Valor - help

Well you picked the right ship and Itineary. Look for "downtown" maps for Cozumel on Google and print them out. Then Google all the other places you are going. When you get to Cozumel the ship parks at a "Compound" with awful shops. Just walk all the way threw them and find the Taxi stand. Take a taxi to Downtown. Have the driver drop you off at Starbucks. That is the beginning of downtown. All the shops will be on your right and the beautiful ocean will be on you left. If you want to party hard and dance and drink to excess go to Carlos and Charlies but be for warned margaritas are $15.00 a pop so plan on spening $200.00 for drink and lunch. But If you want relaxed and a delicous food and drink Go to "Ambar". This place will serve a chicken quasadllia and two coronas for $7.00. This place is a little hard to nfind but well worth it. You will have to ask 3 or 4 locals where can I find Ambar. It is near the "PLAZA" 10 to 12 blocks down from Starbucks. About Grand Cayman.
Since you are not Water bugs you may find this interesting. Google: Queen Elizabeth 2 botanical Gardens on Grand Cayman. The most beautiful Botancal gardens you will ever seen but the bonus is roaming around the grounds are the Blue Iguanas. Do not take a taxi! They have a local bus service ask any local where you can find the downtown main bus terminal. These are just little white vans but only charge you $5.00 per person each way to the gardens. Taxi would cost more than $50-70 each way. Also bars are really pricey. $8 to $9 for a beer. Isla is just a beach and Belize -danger - theives-
Just stay on the ship at this port. Or just be really careful of your belongings. Do not wear any watches or jewelry. Ed
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Thanks Ed. That helps lots couple of beers and chicken is what we are looking for. The gardens sound good too.
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Admiral

I'm not creating an argument in any way with the poster who told you to stay on the ship in Belize but to say to stay on the ship because of thieves, is in my opinion, a little much.
There's all kinds of tours to Mayan Ruins if you're interested in that sort of history, etc. If not, there's plenty of other tours that you can book through the ship that will get you out and about and see some of the countryside.
If not that, then just ride the tender ( about a 12-15 minute ride over to the dock ) where the shopping complex which is modern and clean, is located. It's a secure area, numerous shops, 3-4 bars, ( The Wet Lizard comes to mind ) and is safe. I wouldn't go out roaming the streets and down the back alleys wearing flashy jewelry but I wouldn't do that here at home either.
I've been to Belize 5-6 times and never had a problem. However, just recently here in my own home a drywall worker stole about $30,000. in jewelry right out from under our noses. He's in jail now, our jewelry pawned all over hell and back so you don't have to go abroad to find "thieves ".
We have more than our share here in the U.S.
Take your cruise and just use common sense. To cruise and not get off the ship may be doing yourself an injustice, especially because your heard there were thieves somewhere- yes, there's thieves, here, there and everywhere. Heck--we even have them in Washington , D.C. and we pay them to be there !! Go and enjoy your trip.

Last edited by Ron; October 1st, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are correct Ron a tour would be a good Idea.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
First Mate

We have been to Belize 3 times and never had a problem. If you are worried just make sure that you book through the ship. I would recommend that anyway seeing as how you are not an experienced cruiser.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)