Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Default Steak

Okay, so I was trolling on another site and read what is reported as a test of offering Steakhouse quality steaks in the MDR for a fee of $18.00 The report states that this is a test on ships without a steakhouse and that the regular "free" steak menu items will still be on the menu.
Personally, I think it is a great idea and would opt for this a time or two. What do others think?
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I heard about that a while back..If I am going to pay for a steak, it may sound crazy, but, it would be, in a seperate venue, in a different atmosphere

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
First Mate

Not crazy at all. In a better venue you will pay more and of course you will tip extra. I enjoy the Steakhouse as a treat and have done the Chef's Table, so I am not afraid of paying for a quality experience, but $18 is not bad either...
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
First Mate

The more people are willing to pay for - the more the cruiselines are going to expect you too.

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I heard about that a while back..If I am going to pay for a steak, it may sound crazy, but, it would be, in a seperate venue, in a different atmosphere
I agree with Trip. I go on a cruise to relax and the atmosphere is a little to stuffy for me in there. Don't get me wrong, the food was great, but I didn't think it was any better than anywhere else on the ship
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I know that this is on RCI but have not seen it on Carnival. But we won't try it.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would not pay to have a better quality cut of steak in the MDR, but would rather go to the steakhouse. I have been on 10 cruises now and of the 10 ships, seven have had steakhouses, but this last cruise is the first time I went to the steakhouse.

We went to the steakhouse on cruise casual day, so I had capri's and a nice top and it was about what everyone else was wearing. The atmoshpere, menu choices, and food was amazing and well worth the extra fee!!!!!! I had the 9oz Filet Mignon with escargot and french onion soup as appetizers. I was so stuffed I hd no room for dessert, and I dearly wanted to try the chocolate sampler!!!!!! Neither of us had room for dessert!!! We're going again and a third person is coming and we have already said YES to the steakhouse plans!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with paying extra for the steakhouse. Enjoy it but not in the mdr
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Passenger

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but we just got off the Inspiration on Saturday and they were hawking some special dining room where you get a 5 or 7 course meal. I didn't get all the details because my eyes glazed over and I went deaf after he said $75 PER PERSON. Are you kidding me--on the Inspiration?

But I did notice that on the regular dining room menu, if you wanted steak lobster or a couple of other items that weren't featured that night, you could pay a surcharge of $18.

Sorry if this is off topic--don't want to hijack the thread..
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
First Mate

You are exactly on topic.
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
First Mate

Mama K when you went deaf I started to listen. I asked the guy why was it so much more than the Steakhouse on the other ships and he told me because of the unlimited wine that you could drink at dinner. I am sure that the food would be outstanding but I don't think that I could drink $75 worth of wine in one sitting. Even if you took off $30 or $35 for the meal that's still $40 to $45 for the wine. Don't get me wrong. We have done the Steakhouse before and loved it. Then the meal for the two of us was only $70 plus the tip we left. Now you are asking for $150 for two people I don't think so. Like Mama K said "on the Inspiration". Again don't get me wrong I love the Inspiration. Mama K and I have been on her 3 times. I just don't see her as a Steakhouse kind of ship.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama k View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but we just got off the Inspiration on Saturday and they were hawking some special dining room where you get a 5 or 7 course meal. I didn't get all the details because my eyes glazed over and I went deaf after he said $75 PER PERSON. Are you kidding me--on the Inspiration?
Not the same. That's the Chef's Dinner, or whatever they call it now.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
First Mate

The Chef's table is the $75.00 per person experience. I say experience because it is much more than food and wine. I paid $200 with tip for this. To me, it was worth it for a once in awhile experience, not something I would do on every cruise, but very nice. The steakhouse is not really the same experience, although it is much cheaper and again very nice.
Paying extra in the MDR is an option, and if it were offered on my ship, I would indulge. Outback steakhouse offers a "special" steak which I normally buy. They also are quick to point out their "choice" cuts of beef that cost more. You don't get to go into an exclusive part of the restaurant, you eat with everyone else if you get the special or the prime. Just like on the ship.
I like the fact that Carnival is going to offer options.
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to REALgetaway

I made reservations for the last night of our upcoming crusie on Splendor in the Pinnacle steakhouse.. for a special dinner. i don't mind the extra charge.

not sure I would like to pay extra in the MDR for steak though. i mean. to me, i only plan on eating steak one time during the entire cruise.. and I love steak. but i eat it only on special occasions. that makes it more special.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs down

I agree in the steakhouse O.K. but in the MDR forget it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Captain

I consider myself somewhat of a steak expert, having eaten steaks from all around this country. I have yet to have a great steak on a cruise ship, whether dining in the MDR or a specialty restaurant, the choice of beef that is offered is not a good grade, full of fat and bristle, and the taste isn't up to my standards.

The last Steak I ordered in the specialty restaurant on the Island Princess was so bad I sent it back and ate Gumbo.

Happy Sailings
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Admiral

NO WAY I'm going to pay extra for a special steak in the dining room. When we start having to shell out for food in the main dining room, I'll stop cruising. Simple as that! I've already stopped doing NCL because of their goofy dining situation, and won't do RCI ships either, with the exception of their small ships, because of the higher prices, and all the extra cost restaurants they have aboard. Thanks,,,,but NO THANKS!

"SKY"
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Passenger

We just waited until the lobster was on the regular menu--which I believe was the 2nd night. I think they were offering Flat Iron Steak every night also, so there was no need to pay $18.

I think it may be a sign of the times that the cruise lines are starting to charge for EVERYTHING. Next they'll be charging for luggage, deck chairs...
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10

Last edited by mama k; October 15th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
First Mate

To me, this is no different from how they try to sell bottled water from table to table. It is OPTIONAL. They are not taking away anything that is already available, they are just adding something for those who CHOOSE to have it.

Is it a sign of the times, and soon they will discontinue steak from the regular menu? If so, I am with you, but right now it is still a matter of choice.