Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Default First cruise ever booked!

I have just booked my first cruise ever on Carnival Cruise lines for February! There will be 4 of us in our cabin for a 5 night cruise out of New Orleans. I will have so many questions, I hope all of you will help me plan this. I am afraid that we will get hooked on cruising .... is that bad?
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I hope you do get hooked .I went on my first in 1973 and only 2 more afterward .
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Welcome to Cruise Mates. We are glad to help around here. And yes we do hope you come down with cruise addiction.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome to Cruisemates and the wonderful world of cruising....What Carnival ship are you going on and what are the ports you will be visiting?? Feel free to ask you questions and concerns.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Blondie, welcome to the best cruise site around,and congratulations, on the beginning of a long cruise habit

Please feel free to ask, any and all questions..everyone here is so full of information and so willing to share, we will make your wait, fun, and informative Ship ahoy matey!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Passenger

We are sailing out of New Orleans and going to Progreso and Cozumel. We do not plan on booking any on shore excursions (too expensive for 4 people). However, we are thinking of perhaps renting a cab, if possible and safe, in Progreso and going to the lighthouse and then to the beach. Is there a charge to use the beach there? Are there reputable cab companies there? I can't find much info on Progreso.

I have looked up some things in Cozumel and it looks like Paradise Beach would be a nice place for our family and within our budget. Is there a lighthouse in Cozumel? If you can't tell we are lighthouse fans.

What kind off dress would be appropriate for the formal night? I really don't have any dresses, but with the holiday season coming up, I thought I could keep an eye out for something on sale after the holidays. Would a short cocktail dress be good enough?
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>4 of us in our cabin for a 5

really terrible , my condolence.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Familiar Face

There are at least two lighthouses (faros) on Cozumel:

Punta Celarain - On the southernmost tip of the Island (Punta Sur)

and

Punta Molas - on the Northeast tip of Cozumel

My wife and I have been to the Punta Celarain lighthouse incidental to a snorkling excursion and it provides a beautiful view of the island and beaches. From atop the lighthouse you can see the crocodile infested swamp separated from the beautiful white beach and blue sea by a narrow strip land where the road enters the area - an interesting contrast if there ever was one. The lighthouse is located in a protected park and the above mentioned road is very rough. We traveled in jeeps and another excursion that was there was using side by side 4 wheelers. Additional attractions at that particular site include a museum, iguanas, and I believe somewhere nearby there is a very small Mayan ruin of a building that kind of served as their equivalent of an early warnig system for hurricanes. It was designed so that when the wind reached a certain velocity it would roar like blowing on a conch shell or something similar - at least that's what our guide told us.

Just a word of caution - renting a vehicle to go visit the lighthouses is the cheaper way to go but Mexican law has a radically different view of automobile accidents than USA law. If you are involved in an automobile accident you may have to post bail/bond regardless of who is at fault since accidents are regarded as a criminal matter rather than a civil matter like here. You can read some real horror stories on these boards if you dig far enough.

The more expensive but safer way to go would be to hire a guide and vehicle to take you to the lighthouses. Not too sure they would want to tackle the rough road at Punta Celarain though, and I have no idea what the roads at Punta Molas are like.

Last edited by ouachita; October 6th, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: additional clarifying info
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Try a consignment shop for nice, gently used, dressy, cocktail-type clothing.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Great idea,and as you mentioned, after NY Eve, all the goodies go on sale big time!

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Admiral

My name is "Henry43" and I am now a cruise addict
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergej View Post
>>4 of us in our cabin for a 5

really terrible , my condolence.
We are used to squeezing our family into a small space, so it shouldn't be too bad. We also might get a bigger cabin as one of my kids has a disability and we are talking to the people at the cruise line for an accessible cabin or a connecting one. We shouldn't be in the room all that much, either, right? As long as my kids have a pool and food available, they will be happy. And as long as I can have some wine, or something stronger, I should be able to handle it!
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Admiral

With your attitude you will handle it just fine.

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

On Carnival they do what is called Elegant night. They changed it from Formal night a few nights ago and with the name change they also lower the dress requirments. A short cocktail dress will work great for elegant night. I like to head to Ross dress for less or TJ Max. They have great deals on cocktail dresses. If you want to get your hair done at the ship's salon for elegant night; I suggest booking that as soon as you get on board the ship.

Also remember Carnival allows 1 bottle of wine per person over 21 years of age to be carried on board. But it can not be in you checked bag you must carry it on board the ship. They will charge a corkage fee if you drink it at the dining room. If you want to have the wine in your room bring a cork screw along. I hope you have a great cruise. I'm mainly a west coast cruise so I haven't been to the ports you are going to. But I can answer any general cruising questions you have.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Progreso has a beach right at the end of it's very long pier. You will need transportation to and from the ship. I'm not sure about lighthouses.

If you create new threads with specific questions you should get good responses. Our Texas and NOLA cruisers should be able to give you good advice on both ports.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Familiar Face

Smile

How exciting to be planning your first cruise. You will get a lot of answers at cruisemates.
We have our 27th cruise coming up. As far as yours. I wonder if you have ever been to Mexico before?
The advice about driving could be valuable for you to know. Many years ago we did drive from the South West USA, all the way to Alcapulco and did have a minor accident in Mexico City. We were told the Accident Insurance we bought for Mexico was no good in Mexico. We were very lucky to have gotten away without having our car impounded and thrown in jail. It wasn't our fault and we had to pay on the spot. The other driver gave his watch.
The area you are visiting has some ancient ruins that may be of interest. I will have to write later about ideas. But wanted to stress the driving thing. Cruising is very addicting. It is a good way to see the whole world. There are a lot of interesting places out there. I didn't catch which ship you will be on. They vary in some ways. After 27 cruises I am still deciding which were favorites.
On my first cruise in 1987 I purchased a second hand dress for formal night. I have had so many great compliments on it. So keeping an open mind, a gentle used formal isn't all bad. Especially when it isn't worn but a few times in several years. Bye for now.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Welcome aboard mate!!! Your going to love it!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Progreso

Progreso: The shuttle from the ship to the beach area is free. It's just a three block walk from where they drop you off in town. The lighthouse is located right there at the beach towards the long pier. It's on your way and you will be able to see it from the bus drop location.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
First Mate

Welcome to Cruise Mates, and I hope you get hooked on this site and cruise ships. Have a wonderful trip, and take pictures.
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the information. Keep it coming!
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Familiar Face

hi last dec myself and my two girls went out of new oleans on the triumph same two ports, we had a great time took a two topper bus tour in pro. got a massage on the beach for 10 bucks ate on the mainland it was a nice trip , but a little cool first day out at sea anyhow enjoy your cruise