Ok I am sure that most of the questions I have are somewhere deep within this site, but I would rather hear it from all of you. First of all this is me and my wife's first cruise. We will be cruising out of New Orleans, and go to Progresso and Cozumel on the Triumph . I want to have everything ready so our first cruise will go smoothly so my questions are.
1. how much does it cost to park in new Orleans
2. do we need to plan our shore excursions now or wait until we get on the ship
3. is it better to use a prepaid visa, cash, or travelers checks on shore
4. what are some places to visit in progresso and Cozumel
5. what should we pack in the carry on
6. how dressy do we need to dress up on the formal night
Well that is all I can think of right now I appreciate all the help and I am sure I will have more questions when it gets close to the date.
Welcome to cruising....be warned that it is additive so this might not be your last ocean voyage. Also you should love the Triumph. I sure did !
1) I parked twice in New Orleans however I can't recall for sure, but comparable to an airport I would guess.
2) you certainly can purchase them on-board, but I personally much prefer to book my shore excursions early....at home...in my pajama if I so please.
The greatest merit to booking online is the ease and time to contemplate my choices. I've found booking excursions on the ship to be rushed.
Carnival has surprised me how early they will post shore excursions online.
Typically I'll select a specific tour... and book it months ahead of time with the peace of mind that it can't sell out without me on board.
3) for shores expenses, I take small denominations of the international translator ( US dollar )....a wad of $1 and $5. In many places, if you give a vendor a $20, you might not get change. If one purchases 2 items for $10 then the vendor will attempt to sell them 5 items for $20.
4) Progresso : Chichen Itza or Uxmal for sure....if you have any interest in history or local culture. I found this port to be shore excursion intensive and less appealing to those who wonder on their own.
Cozumel has much to offer. I enjoyed an island tour which visited San Gervaso Mayan site and a lovely beach.
5) carry on should be items you might need in a hurry or immediately such pain reliever, a pen, mints, and so on. Since bags will be delivered later, always keep camera and important documents in the carry on.
6) dressing up depends on how far you wish to go. No Tux required, but if you wish to wear one then do so. For me buttoned & collared shirts are a must every night. A coat and tie looks nice on formal/elegant nights, but I see all kinds myself. Most do seem to prefer to make an effort, which typically means casual nights are trousers and a nice shirt ( no t-shirts), then for formal/elegant night add a sport coat and or tie. I wear a black suit but that's simply my choice.
PAST TRIPS= Enchanted Capri
Carnival: Inspiration, Legend, Valor, Destiny, Holiday, Triumph, Splendor, Fantasy
HAL: Maasdam twice, Statendam, Oosterdam
there a place to park on fulton street about four blocks from the ship it cost
only 10 dollars , if you part at the ship its 17 per day and they do take you on a mini bus to the ship from fulton st.so you save 7 dollars a day and no long lines either
Hi,and welcome ..I can help with some of your questions
do we need to plan our shore excursions now or wait until we get on the ship If there is something you really want to do, you can book it on board..a site like portpromotions.com can offer you other options. You can also walk off the ship,and grab a tour there.
is it better to use a prepaid visa, cash, or travelers checks on shore Don't go on shore, with a full wallet..use cash for small purchases,and a cc for anything of real cost..that way,if an issue should arise, you are covered by the cc protection,
what are some places to visit in progresso and Cozumel In Progreso, you can take the bus, or a tour to Merida, a beautiful old colonial city..not much in progreso to see In Coz, you could do a jeep tour around the island, try snuba, I think they offer that there..or walk the main drag and shop and eat
5. what should we pack in the carry on all medicines, jewelry, documents, and, anything you will need till your luggage arrives,like swim suits...
6. how dressy do we need to dress up on the formal night wearing nice slacks and a sport jacket will do, add a tie, even better, but, the rules have been relaxed ,so, don't stress too much..
Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator
NOLA...if you are staying overnight before cruise there may be a deal where you can park the car at the hotel while you cruise. Look into the Fulton thing. It sounds good.
Stick to cash or a credit card in Mexico. There are new rules re cash in Mx. You cannot make a purchase over $100 and pay it all in cash. So, either exchange currency, make smaller purchases, or use credit.
The popular excursions sell out quickly. Best to get them online early if its something you really want to do or see.
Progreso is a long rock pier that you must take a shuttle from ship to shore. They let you off at a flea market type place. If you want beach time and a massage for $20/hr walk a few blocks to the beach. There is a great place to eat along the beach....St Bonnett I think. Snoozeman can tell you more.
If you search the photo area on here for our name there is a pic of a map of Progreso.
Merida is nice to visit. The bus ride can seem long. Keep track of time, tho and allow for the trip back.
The Original Phil & Liz
The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher
Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly
I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.