CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Pre Tipping policy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/377504-carnival-pre-tipping-policy.html)

Rick October 15th, 2010 09:31 PM

Carnival Pre Tipping policy

This upcoming cruise will be our first that we pay for tips in advance. At the end of the cruise, will we be provided with some form of paper/card to give out to show tips have already been paid? Thanks in advance.

Dave Beers October 15th, 2010 10:25 PM

No. Carnival just takes the money and divvies it up. The crew doesn't expect to see any proof of it via a chit or envelope.

alswagg October 16th, 2010 12:21 AM

I am not sure if I like the pre tipping policy. If you get excellant service I gladly tip, but if I do not get adiquate service I do not. I guess we will see. Al

Ron October 16th, 2010 08:38 AM

Carnival adds the tips to your account immediately. However, that does not mean that you automatically have to pay, even for poor service. You can go to the pursers desk, ask for a form to fill out to remove tips from any particular one , or all , if you were dissatisfied with the service.
However, if you were unhappy with one area of service, it wouldn't be fair to the others to remove all the tips--just the particular one you were unhappy with. When they first started that particular system, I didn't necessarily like it but soon found it worked out very well. Only once in many , many cruises have I deducted a tip from one individual staff member.Usually I end up doling out some additional for the good services. ;)

Rick October 16th, 2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 1323239)
Carnival adds the tips to your account immediately. However, that does not mean that you automatically have to pay, even for poor service. You can go to the pursers desk, ask for a form to fill out to remove tips from any particular one , or all , if you were dissatisfied with the service.
However, if you were unhappy with one area of service, it wouldn't be fair to the others to remove all the tips--just the particular one you were unhappy with. When they first started that particular system, I didn't necessarily like it but soon found it worked out very well. Only once in many , many cruises have I deducted a tip from one individual staff member.Usually I end up doling out some additional for the good services. ;)

Thanks Ron. What we did, for first time, is pay our tips up front when we paid off our cruise. I was just wondering how the service staff would know you gave the recommended tips and are not stiffing them. I was hoping we would get a card or something at end of cruise to give to staff saying something like....thank you, we tipped you.

Ron October 16th, 2010 09:13 PM

Carnival does not give you anything to give to the waitstaff to show you paid the tips but they do give, if I'm correct, a list to the waitstaff so they know how much they have coming, etc. I usually on the last night, shake hands with the waitstaff, tell them the tips were added to my acct. and if I want to add something extra at that time I slip it to them in the hand shake and say something like " and here's something extra for all your hard work ", etc.
On RCCL, you can have the option of doing it the old way with cash or go to the pursers desk, get a form to fill out and they will add it to your on board acct. Then the last evening the cabin steward will leave envelopes on your bed with the different names, like cabin steward, waiter, asst. waiter, head waiter, etc. There will be vouchers for each, you detach the proper voucher and insert into the proper envelope and then hand them out after dinner, etc. But, as I said, that's on RCCL.
I like the fact you can add the tips to your acct as it saves bringing more cash to keep up with and worry about and is just easier, at least to me.

BigStickKenobi November 4th, 2010 10:29 AM

There was only one time thhat I cancelled the automatic tipping for every day. I went down to the pursers desk, had them remove it. I also got a few envelopes from the same place. Put cash in there for our room stewards (we had multiple rooms) because he was fantastic! The wait service was terrible and the Maitre' D never even came by.
Thanks

alswagg November 4th, 2010 06:27 PM

So did they give you any of your tip back, so you can give it to the appropriate person? Al

mickeysimzac November 17th, 2010 06:45 AM

Who would the tips go to if we eat at the buffet each night instead of the dining room?

Snoozeman November 17th, 2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeysimzac (Post 1329229)
Who would the tips go to if we eat at the buffet each night instead of the dining room?

The tips actually go into a tip pool. The staff in the lido buffet get their share as do the people who help and you never see..i.e.: the guy who makes the toast, the dish washers, prep people, etc.

When people remove their tips, they are also stiffing all the others as well......

trvlqueen December 20th, 2010 01:02 PM

I could be mistaken, but I think if you prepay your tips, you have paid them - I dont' believe they can be removed or reallocated - but I've never had poor enough service to warrant that. We did have a less than exceptional room steward last time out, but less than exceptional isn't a reason not to tip - especially when the bulk of the crews income comes from tips. Now bad service, that's a different story and I wouldn't hesitate to remove/reallocate tips in that case - but after working for tips myself, all the way through college, I'd first evaluate my own expectations to be sure they were reasonable before messing with someone's income.

I think, though - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, that electing to prepay your tips basically removes that discretion from you - I usually do prepay, though - I just like having most things paid for/covered in advance and can then elect to tip additionally if I want to without the pressure on my S&S bill from the standard tips.

the witvoets December 20th, 2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlqueen (Post 1335905)
I could be mistaken, but I think if you prepay your tips, you have paid them - I dont' believe they can be removed or reallocated - but I've never had poor enough service to warrant that. We did have a less than exceptional room steward last time out, but less than exceptional isn't a reason not to tip - especially when the bulk of the crews income comes from tips. Now bad service, that's a different story and I wouldn't hesitate to remove/reallocate tips in that case - but after working for tips myself, all the way through college, I'd first evaluate my own expectations to be sure they were reasonable before messing with someone's income.

I think, though - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, that electing to prepay your tips basically removes that discretion from you - I usually do prepay, though - I just like having most things paid for/covered in advance and can then elect to tip additionally if I want to without the pressure on my S&S bill from the standard tips.

We prepaid ours also so we don't have the pressure on our s&s card. :)

lhp December 21st, 2010 01:16 PM

We always prepay our tips just before sailing...

on Carnival, it shows up on your cruise documents (which we always take with us...so we have proof)...

since these are not tips (in the true sense of the word) but actually service surcharges (their salary) .... no way would I ever remove them.

Even someone who does not to a good job still deserves to get a salary at the end of the week. They should not be working for nothing at all.

If the service were ever that terrible, I would go directly to the Hotel Director.

green_rd December 21st, 2010 02:55 PM

If somebody does a horrible job it is better to speak to their supervisor and/or put it on your comment card. But do engage your brain first - everybody should be allowed a bad moment every now and then.

Aerogirl December 21st, 2010 05:45 PM

I really like the prepay service. To me itís just one less thing I have to worry about. I did however give my room attendant extra because we needed for nothing. He seemed to stay one step ahead of us.

newlywed January 15th, 2011 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=trvlqueen;1335905]I could be mistaken, but I think if you prepay your tips, you have paid them - I dont' believe they can be removed or reallocated - but I've never had poor enough service to warrant that. We did have a less than exceptional room steward last time out, but less than exceptional isn't a reason not to tip - especially when the bulk of the crews income comes from tips. Now bad service, that's a different story and I wouldn't hesitate to remove/reallocate tips in that case - but after working for tips myself, all the way through college, I'd first evaluate my own expectations to be sure they were reasonable before messing with someone's income.

I think, though - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, that electing to prepay your tips basically removes that discretion from you] - I usually do prepay, though - I just like having most things paid for/covered in advance and can then elect to tip additionally if I want to without the pressure on my S&S bill from the standard tips.[/QUOTE
I'd love to hear an answer to the bolded text above. Our TA asked that we prepay our tips, I wanted to but hubby said if the service wasn't good we should have the option not to tip as much. My thought is, if we can get this over with beforehand that's a good thing, one less expense come cruisetime.

lhp January 16th, 2011 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=newlywed;1342908]
Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlqueen (Post 1335905)

I think, though - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, that electing to prepay your tips basically removes that discretion from you] - I usually do prepay, though - I just like having most things paid for/covered in advance and can then elect to tip additionally if I want to without the pressure on my S&S bill from the standard tips.[/QUOTE
I'd love to hear an answer to the bolded text above. Our TA asked that we prepay our tips, I wanted to but hubby said if the service wasn't good we should have the option not to tip as much. My thought is, if we can get this over with beforehand that's a good thing, one less expense come cruisetime.

It is my understanding that prepaid tips can not be altered in any way.

But double check with your TA and they are not positive ..have them call Carnival. (that is what they are getting paid to do)

Once we prepay (since we have no intentions of ever adjusting them) we simply "tip" (in the true since of the word) for extra service given to us in CASH.

conway scott January 17th, 2011 12:41 PM

I find that having the tips on my sail and sign card a real convience. But, because they are put on your card no matter what the service I would rather call them a service change . I know Carnival will never call them that just to make the price of the Cruise seem lower than it really is. It just a big game. I am sure no one is fooled . I would prefer that the cruise was priced like an all inclusive resort. All fees and charges up front. No need for any games and illusions.

scuba diver January 25th, 2011 01:03 PM

Message for Rick "Admiral"

Rick:

please contact me at jayapeterson@hotmail.com

This is about Hotel Company, 2/5 1st Mar Div reunion

Jay A. Peterson "scuba diver"