Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Admiral

It always strikes me as strange how there are Hurricanes during Hurricane season. It happens every year, if only there was some way to book a cruise that didn't cruise during Hurricane season. I don't know is Feb, March, April, or May Hurricane season??? Sorry I'm just confused which is worst extra sea days or dying in the middle of a hurricane in Belize. I can never tell.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; October 26th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJag View Post
Finally, I don't think everyone should be so quick to shout "that's what you get for cruising during hurricane season!" That's pretty mean, IMO. Yes, you take your chances during the "season," but not everyone is familiar with just how hurricanes can affect a cruise, even if they aren't going to make landfall at the ports of call, let alone know when or how long the "season" lasts.

Just sayin'.
Hi DisneyJag I respectfully disagree with this part of your post. Lucille said this in her original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend's Lucille View Post
As an alumni sailor of Carnival ships I am severely disappointed and disgusted with the complete lack of customer service shown to me and my fellow guests. As a multi-billion dollar company I would have expected a more professional environment, especially a more professional presentation.
As an alumni sailor of Carnival Ships she should be aware of how hurricanes can effect a cruise. If the OP was a new cruiser and this happened to her I would feel differently and would agree with your statement.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Familiar Face

We ahd a great time on our legend cruise. We got off about 10 prior to yours starting and a troical storm followed us the entire way. As soon as we left one port, it hit the next. We got very lucky!

Carnival Sensation 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2006

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Beginner

My first cruise leaves on Sunday, on the Legend. We had to book so late in the year due to my job (I really cannot take vacations until September, and then I only have a small window where my business is "slow" enough that I can be away for a week.) I purposefully chose the late October/early November time frame to avoid the majority of hurricane season; but I also found a couple of websites that are quite handy when looking at the turbulence factor, etc.

I've linked to them below and hope it helps.
Turbulence Forecast - Cruise Forecast - Wave Heights
Intellicast - Caribbean Satellite in United States

Old November 17th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Passenger

Guess we love nightmares as we are going to sail on the Legend in 2012
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would like to take every first time cruiser who ever complained about a cruise ship missing ports due to a hurricane and put them on a cruise ship sailing THROUGH a hurricane to get to an island experiencing coconut cannonballs and palm trees going through buildings like SKUD missles.

JUST KIDDING - but it is pretty illogical to blame the cruise line if you think about it.

It is notable, however, that this year had a few later than average hurricanes which did disrupt a number of cruise itineraries. The hurricane season started later and lasted longer than usual. It would be notable if this becomes a new pattern.
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe she'll reappear with a second post after she has sailed through a Tropical Storm in the Caribbean ,to tell us how the Captain should have taken evasive action and changed the itinerary.