Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Exclamation If you want a nightmare, cruise the Carnival Legend

In a word: Nightmare! What was supposed to be an 8 day cruise with 4 visits turned into Hell with six, COUNT 'EM 6!, sea days and only 2 days on dry land. What the cruise director reported as a severe "hurricane," as of Wednesday morning, October 13th, the National Hurricane Center reported "the tropical storm-force winds affecting Mexico [and the Yucatan] [were] forecast to diminish later Wednesday." (US Post Today 10/13/10) Regardless of these happy tidings however, Carnival Legend's own Captain Coward canceled the last remaining stops to Honduras and Belize. What is interesting to note here, is that a fellow Carnival ship that stopped in the Cayman Islands with us was able to switch their itinerary around and made all stops to Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. The effort of the Carnival Legend's Cruise Director to fill in the (what seemed endless) sea time with fun, and at the very least entertaining, activities failed miserably. As an alumni sailor of Carnival ships I am severely disappointed and disgusted with the complete lack of customer service shown to me and my fellow guests. As a multi-billion dollar company I would have expected a more professional environment, especially a more professional presentation. The fact that my balcony looked like a decaying rust box did nothing to soothe my temper when I found paint chippings coming off the ceiling in to my drink and food. Can you say Health Hazard?!
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
First Mate

Welcome to CruiseMates, Lucy!
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While I can understand your disappointment, I can bet there are many underlying issues that turned this cruise into what it became. Because of so many ships being diverted, and new berths needed in ports unable to accomodate them all, something had to give, and it seems like it might have been your cruise....that's my take anyway.

While many cruisers, would kill for 6 sea days, I might be a bit nudgy too. Trying to keep 1000's of people happy, the crew may have been overwhelmed to the max. Too bad there was nothing in place for this type of situation. Was any type of credit give to the passengers?

There is nothing to be done now, but, next cruise try to book any time other than hurricane season...Hope your next one is your best one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; October 19th, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default Unhappy sailor

I was this same sailing and very upset-no onboard credit, nothing-except 20% off next cruise but it needs to be booked within 2 years----bad customer service if you aks me-not sure if I will be going Carnival again-I know not the Legend
Carnival Glory---Oct. 2008
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Hmmm,,,I didn't know "Legend" did any 8 day cruises out of Tampa. Interesting. We did "Legend" a couple of weeks ago, and even though we missed Grand Cayman due to high winds, and hazardous tendering conditions, we had a GREAT time. Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. Maybe you should try RCI next time.

"SKY"
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Beginner

You selected a cruise during "Hericane Season"
Bad weather should be expected and hope for the best.
I'm off in 3 weeks on the Glory and I know it's a roll of the dice.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

IF you cruise during Hurricane season, you are taking a risk.

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Triumph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Dream 2014
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by averrette View Post
IF you cruise during Hurricane season, you are taking a risk.
Exactly! Getting angry at the captain because he chose not to cruise you near or through a tropical depression, storm etc is like blaming an airline because air traffic control decided the weather was too unsafe to take off in.

There is soooo much more to getting into a port as has already been mentioned. The other cruise ships that docked may have made it impossible for your ship to dock in that port.

I can't offer any suggestions as far as the condition of the ship which is a totally different issue than the one related to the extra sea days and port diversions.

If you prefer to not have to worry about possible storm issues, just book cruises that sail from December to May, but even that is not a guarantee against weather. We were on a December cruise which had 3 stops and we only got to spend a few hours at our first port because we were late getting there due to very high sustained winds in the Atlantic.

Just remember...you could have been back at work instead of spending time relaxing at sea
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Sky,

You are correct. Legend does a 7 day not an 8 day out of Tampa. You always take a chance with the weather no matter what time of year you go. Hope her next cruise is better. And why try RCI? They made the same deviation itinerary changes.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Part of the reason we chose the Legend out of Tampa was for the 4 port days on a 7 day cruise. Sure it diminished the fun to loose 3 ports and only get Ocho Rios in exchange but I agree with the safety first approach. It did, however, seem like the Legend got the short end of the stick. Most ships still had the same number of stops just not the ones they planned.

At first most people were understanding about the change, especially after waves made tendering back from Grand Cayman very dangerous. We witnessed several injuries and at lease 2 ambulances were dispatched to one of the tender piers used by Celebrity.

Later in the week after the storm had moved away there was a lot of grumbling about the fact that we canceled ports that were now sunny and clear.

Well, I'm making the most of it. We booked our next cruise while on board and have already sent in my request for our 20% discount.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Lucille is saying that other ships made it and hers didn't.

Assuming Carnival cares about "fairness" they could have spilt up the docking rights between the different Carinval ships, etc. But the truth is that the cruise lines leave these choices up to the captains, they don't generally over-ride captain's decisions.

A cruise is a cruise. Part of a cruise is this; that you are on a ship, at sea, which has a captain responsible for the safety of all the passengers.

When you choose to cruise you give certain aspects of your vacation over to the cruise line. If you believe after the fact that they made decisions you did not like you have every right to complain about it. But that's about all the rights you have.

Now, I don't generally agree with people who say "I don't like future cruise credit as compensation" because the chances that the future cruise would have the same problems (on a quality cruise line like Carnival) are very small, so in fact that is a worthwhile compensation for regular cruisers.

For non-regular cruisers it is a bit of a disappointing compensation, I agree.

Sometimes you just don't get what you feel you paid for - and it isn't the seller's fault. I tried a new restaurant a few nights ago, and it was expensive and the food was not good - and the service was terrible. I complained, but I still paid because I chose to to try the restaurant and I got what the menu promised. I didn't like it, but that is the price of trying something new. (FYI, it was lobster Tempura, but there was far more batter than lobster - it was not tempura batter). But I ate it, grudgingly.

I complained - every customer has that right. The restaurant offered me "something for the next time you come here." But I preferred to say "I won't be back." I don't want to give them any more money at all.

That is just life sometimes. Maybe I should have taken the compensation, but at the time I really preferred to make the point.

BTW: I also fully intended to give them a bad review after the fact, and I will.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
First Mate

IF you want to cruise during Hurricane season, read your ticket contract. Everything that happened is covered there. Your problems had nothing to do with the ship, it had to do with the weather. Carnival or any other cruise line can't control the weather. You roll with the seas. Very nice first post, do you feel better now ?

Last edited by Dutchman; October 19th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

While it's always a shame that ports have to be missed, given the choice of tendering and/or porting in bad weather (and all the safety concerns that entails) and being ship bound to have fun (how can you not have fun on a cruise ship?), I'll take the latter over the former every time.

BTW....Lucille, saw your same post at the "other" cruise forum. Not sure what the objective is.
-2007 RCCL Liberty of the Seas-Caribbean
-2010-2011 Carnival Freedom New Years cruise-Caribbean, NCL Epic
-2011-Celebrity Solstice
-2012RCCL Allure of the Seas
-2013-NCL Breakaway and CCL Breeze
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

As has been mentioned, if you choose to travel to the Caribbean durring Hurricane season you take a chance of foul weather. But at least you still had a full length vacation. We discovered years ago all about this. We went to Jamaica for our Honeymoon in September of '04. Hurricane Ivan decided to make a move to the South and had Negril dead in his sights. Being that it was a Category 5 storm, we decided to leave after only 42 hours of our trip. We were given a small refund for our unused nights, but by the time we payed the penalties and fees for changing our flight it was pretty much a total loss. And thus we learned our lesson about traveling that time of year and the importance of travel insurance. We continue to go to the Caribbean durring Hurricane season almost yearly, due to the great rates. But know that it is a gamble each time. I understand your frustration, but at least you were on a ship that can move out of the way.

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsumrow79 View Post
And thus we learned our lesson about traveling that time of year and the importance of travel insurance. We continue to go to the Caribbean during Hurricane season almost yearly, due to the great rates. But know that it is a gamble each time.
Randy and Heather
Most of our trips are during the Hurricane season because of the rates. As long as the embarkation port is clear enough to leave at the right time I'll let the chips fall where they may for the rest of the trip. Just happy to be sailing.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Legend's Lucille

Last Activity: Yesterday 12:52 PM
Referrals: 0
I feel so......used.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybradley67 View Post
I was this same sailing and very upset-no onboard credit, nothing-except 20% off next cruise but it needs to be booked within 2 years----bad customer service if you aks me-not sure if I will be going Carnival again-I know not the Legend
Do you have to sail within two year or just book the cruise?? If you just have to book it with in the two years you can book a cruise within that time period but make it for a year away. What I'm saying is book in OCT of 2012 before it expires but make it for a cruise in 2013 or 2014.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Lucy, not all cruises are perfect. I hope that your next one will be much better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Familiar Face

I think a better title for your post would be "If you want a nightmare, cruise in hurricane season".

Yes, I'm sure I would be very disappointed if I planned and researched ports for months in advance, had the perfect excursions planned and then found that we couldn't make it and had to stay onboard the ship for those days. But sometimes safety has to come first. It's been said that other ships were able to make it to different ports - I'm sure each port can only hold so many ships. As another poster said, Carnival shoud have split the ports up between their ships instead of having one ship get three ports and another only one - that would've been the fair thing to do, but they didn't do that for whatever reason - maybe there are reasons why it couldn't be done - we don't know.

The best way to ensure this doesn't happen, although it still can for other weather related issues but less often, is don't cruise during hurricane season - you sometimes get what you pay for - hence the cheaper fares! I would never consider going to Florida or any Caribbean island for a land vacation during hurricane season, let alone on a cruise ship!
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Dumb question: when is hurricane season exactly?
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
Dumb question: when is hurricane season exactly?
Not a dumb question.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30th. Hurricanes are more likely in the Summer and early Fall and taper off as the season wears on.

It doesn't mean that hurricanes cannot occur at other times but this is the time of year when they are most common.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just to add to Mike's post - hurricane season REALLY peaks brtween Sept 1 to Oct 15, which is almost exactly what happened this year with the exception of this last hurricane (which came late) but affected more cruises than the others.
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Thanks Mike and Paul! :-D

We sail Nov. 27th & I'm so ready to get away, I couldn't care less where, when, or even if we stop in port! (And I sure wouldn't mind a 20% discount off the next one).
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Kimbolpolo,

I don't think you'll be getting that 20% discount certificate. There aren't too many hurricanes that late in the year.

However, you'll have a fun and smoother cruise and probably make all your ports.

Have a great time,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Captain

I agree with, so won't repeat, all the obvious statements about hurricane season and travel insurance. I book any time of the year, get the insurance and roll with the punches. More times than not I get to cruise and make most of the ports. It is a gamble, but the rates are great.

We missed Freeport on one cruise in May, pre-hurricane season. That morning it was so black, with heavy rain and thunderstorm. Boy we were upset that other ships docked and we didn't. Bummer. However, by 9:00 am our captain had us in beautiful blue water again under sunny skies and we had an extra sea day to just lounge under beautiful sunny skies, listening music and relaxing with a good book. Can't ask for more than that.

BTW, if you get the 20% discount, why not use it on a really great cruise in Europe, or upgrade your cabin to a balcony or suite.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies View Post
BTW, if you get the 20% discount, why not use it on a really great cruise in Europe, or upgrade your cabin to a balcony or suite.
While I appreciate the 20% and have already booked my next cruise and had the 20% discount applied, it did come with a lot of restrictions.

"Not valid on cruises to Alaska, Hawaii, or Europe. Not valid for holiday embarkations. Valid with MOST fares. Valid until 10/10/2012"

Not all of the ships affected by the hurricane received the discount. Some maintained the same number of stops so had no compensation. I am pleased that Carnival stepped up with the offer as soon as the change was announced. I think that kept the casual cruisers from feeling as bad about losing the ports.

After the troubles tendering back to the ship in Grand Cayman, most people understood the necessity of getting away from the storm.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Sounds like you wanted to sail into rough seas and all kinds of hazards.

You are certainly in the minority. I have read MANY reviews of this same cruise where they had a GRAND time.

Skip cruising, and stick with land vacations. Then, all you need to complain about is the rain and clouds, and the land will stay static under your feet.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

This thread is like deja vu all over again.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
BTW....Lucille, saw your same post at the "other" cruise forum. Not sure what the objective is.
I wondered if I was the only one experiencing deja vu.

I heard once that if someone has a good experience, they tell a friend. If they have a bad experience, they tell 10 friends. I've been in situations before where I've had bad experience and told everyone I knew, met, or passed how awful it was. ! Maybe this is the same situation.

In any case, while I can understand the OP's disappointment, I think it was just sheer bad luck that the weather caused unsafe conditions. I doubt CCL, the captain, or the the Legend's crew had any sort of diabolical plot to ruin the vacation of thousands of customers just for what? Their own amusement and maybe a few more bucks in the casino and bars?

Without knowing all the facts (e.g., whether the other ships already reserved the spots at the other ports, information the captain had, the conditions at the time the call was made), I'm reluctant to condemn the captain for making the decision he did. I do know that if *I* were responsible for a couple thousand people, and conditions looked "iffy" at best, I'd play it safe too.

As far as lousy entertainment for the additional sea days, well, that is the CD's responsibility. Again, though, I don't think I could have done much better in coming up with that many days of entertainment at the last minute with such limited resources. I mean, it's not like you can just throw a new show together for the main lounge or bring in a comedian via helicopter.

Finally, I don't think everyone should be so quick to shout "that's what you get for cruising during hurricane season!" That's pretty mean, IMO. Yes, you take your chances during the "season," but not everyone is familiar with just how hurricanes can affect a cruise, even if they aren't going to make landfall at the ports of call, let alone know when or how long the "season" lasts.

Just sayin'.

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Captain

I notice it was Lucy's first post......and last. Another one-hit wonder?
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette