Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default Formal or not so Formal Attire?

I'm getting mixed messages about formal dining
We will be on the conquest and being a Carnival ship I'm hearing that the dress code is not as formal as on other ships.
I had planned on wearing a black evening dress and my husband a suit and tie now I wonder if we would feel out of place.
Can someone please fill us in a little more on the dress codes for formal nights and also on the other nights if we choose to go to the dining room.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are in a black short cocktail dress and hubby in that suit, you will be great....if your dress is a long fancier one, I would opt for a shorter one...

Honestly, don't worry about what anyone else around you is doing...what you mentioned will be fine. Have fun....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Majority of the other folks will be dresses as you, so you'll feel fine. Be sure to have some formal pictures taken that evening too, they make nice keepsakes, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Dress to your preference. It only needs to be as formal as you want to be.

DW enjoys dressing up for dinner so I arrange a tux rental onboard for the formal nights (to avoid packing suits and shoes). I used to wear a tie on the other nights but since Carnival reduced their recommendations, I now wear dark slacks and a polo shirt. DW still wears a nice dress or skirt. Many were less formal, some were dressed up more.

It all depends on how special you want to feel rather that living up to someone else's expectations.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Admiral

It must be very confusing on these cruise lines that don't really specify what to wear, I mean what people need is for them to tell us what they require us to wear or abolish dress codes altogether. The worst thing is "tonight is a formal night...if you like... but if you can't be bothered then don't" so some do, some don't & I bet the result is a mess.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Admiral

I suggested in an earlier post that clothing should be optional on all cruise lines as far as how to dress for evening dinner .Thats not to say that tee shirts should be allowed . I believe that a knit shirt and khakis should suffice .
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

You will see all different types of dress. We always take the opportunity to dress up really fancy and get pictures made. It's the one time we are all together and dressed up. Like everyone has said, there are slacks and polos to tuxes and "prom" dresses.

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
Familiar Face

You'll see people in everything from long dresses to cocktail dresses to dressy pants and tops and more. I wore a long dress on my last cruise and did not feel out of place or overdressed. I'm cruising again this weekend and need to start thinking about what I'm going to take lol!
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Familiar Face

Default "Elegant"---no longer "Formal"

As many have stated, you'll see everything from casual wear to "formal". Just bring what you'd like. We love to "dress up" for the occasion. I started buying tuxes from rental shops (Ebay) never spending over $25! I have 4 at present, including a silver with black velvet trim (I wear this with a red ruffled shirt), a Western (when meeting The Diamonds {Little Darling} outside the theater while they were selling CDs a woman asked ME for my autograph because the tux was similar to what they wore!), a white satin with black trim (I think back to my 60's prom), and a conventional one that I've never taken on a cruise! With two that I bought (for $20 and $25), the seller emailed me and tailored the jacket sleeves and pant inseams!