Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Captain

Default Fuel Surcharge

Read many moons ago that Carnival reserves the right to charge a $9 per person, per day fuel surcharge if oil is above $75 per barrel. Does anyone know if they have implemented this yet at all?

Oil has been above $75 since about late August.

Thanx,
Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Most lines were charging this fee when oil spiked a couple of years ago. It has been kept on the books but I haven't seen it charged since then.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Captain

Thanx Bob!

We last cruised in October 08' when the price was on the way back down. Wasn't sure if it has been implemented again since then or not.

Not much one can do if they decide to implement it at any point I guess, but some advance notice would be nice. $9 X 2 people X 8 days = $144 potentially for our upcoming cruise.

Hopefully it doesn't come back anytime soon.

Krunch
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Captain

Oil is pushing $85 a barrel so dont be surprised if one of the cruise lines starts it up again. And as we know if one does it they all will. Its coming back soon I bet.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Captain

Actually oil has been falling again lately, it's around $80 right now. The price has gone up and down all year, sometimes in the 70's sometimes in the 90's. Right now they have been in the window (above $75) to charge the fee for a while, but this is why I asked. Hopefully they do not implement it in the next 2 weeks at least

I don't know when it was planned to be implemented but I read once that they had intended to blend these extra costs into their existing charges. Maybe they already have done that instead, and now we are oblivious to it. Which is fine, I was just trying to find out if I might be on the hook for more money on boarding day is all.

Krunch
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm just wondering if they tell you about it at the time of booking, or are you just hit with this charge when they decide to implement it?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Captain

Wondering if I found my answer searching through the Carnival site. Funny thing is I can't find any information about the fuel surcharge that's newer than 2008. Read the following, especially the last line...

-------
April 7, 2008
Fuel Supplement Increase
Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.
The fuel supplement was necessitated by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased Carnival’s operating costs. Unfortunately, we could not continue to shoulder this huge cost burden and it was necessary to implement a supplement to partially offset a portion of soaring fuel costs.
Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision and we hope that our guests will understand that this is a necessary step in today’s challenging economic environment.

Voluntary Refund
Carnival announced a voluntary refund of the company’s fuel supplement on March 31, 2008 for applicable U.S. bookings that were made prior to November 7, 2007 under an agreement with the Florida Attorney General’s Office. The fuel supplement, announced November 7, 2007, was applied to all U.S. bookings for voyages departing on or after February 1, 2008.
The company will now refund the fuel supplement for those guests who were already booked at the time the supplement was announced. Refunds for affected guests will be implemented based on cruise departure date according to the following schedule:
- For cruises departing on or prior to April 4, 2008, guests will receive a refund in the same form they used to purchase their cruise;
- For cruises departing from April 5, 2008 through June 23, 2008, guests will receive an on-board credit;
- For cruises departing on or after June 24, 2008, guests’ bookings will be adjusted to eliminate the fuel supplement.
--------

Link -> </title> <meta name="keywords" content="" /> <meta name="description" content="" /> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/cms/Javascript/mbox.js"></script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/cms/Javascript

Krunch
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

None of the mainstream US cruise lines have reinstated fuel surcharges yet.

When they did a in 2008 oil was already over $100/barrel. They said they would take it off if it dropped below a certain lenel ($65 to $70) and they did.

This all happened before the recession. Now that the recession is on they are far more concerned about filling ships so cruises are very price sensitive, therefore they have not reinstated it although technically they have the right to do so at any time.

I doubt it will happen unless oil stays close to $90/barrel for a number of weeks in a row, but that is conjecture and I could be wrong.

As it is, all cruisers all told in advance that the charges can be reinstated at anytime, and you can even be charged the additional fee if you have already paid in full (although they may not say that).

Disney charged the surcharge on one or two cruises, and some of the Brisitsh lines have reinstated them in the last two years, but mainstream US-based lines have not.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Admiral

We received an e-mail from our TA advising that there is a possibility of being assessed a fuel charge .
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Most cruise lines have already calculated the current higher fuel prices into their base fares. Surcharges are usually added when a cost goes higher than an industry price is set to cover. Another factor is that even though the oil prices are higher, the fuel prices have not sky rocketed as they did in 2008.

I believe that we would only see the surcharge if fuel prices go higher than expected again. (Or if the cruise lines decide we will still happily buy our cruises with the additional charge added in.)

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination