Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Last summer, through an online flash sale, I purchased a year of repatriation insurance for $8.00. I had to use it in March. Because this was a concierge like policy, I wonder if they way we were repatriated would have been the same as if we had used a policy like Tavel Guard, or the like.

Bruce flew home 1st class, with a nurse...her cost alone, was $9,000.00. We had door to door service. I wonder if there is a way to compare exactly what is done, if one needs to use the medivac or repatriation portion of say Travelex, Travel Guard, etc.

Does anyone know of someone who needed to be airlifted off a ship? I shudder to think how close we came to that possibility.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Default I do

Does anyone know of someone who needed to be airlifted off a ship? I shudder to think how close we came to that possibility.[/QUOTE]

In January one of my neighbors had a heart attack on a ship .He was airlifted to Belize .
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Henry, do you know how he came back to the US? Was he insured? Hope he is doing well.

Old June 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Henry, do you know how he came back to the US? Was he insured? Hope he is doing well.
He only has Medicare and therefore he had to pay cash . His wife contacted family members in NY who were able to send the money.

He is okay now.
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Admiral

So, I guess if he decides to travel again, I would hope he gets insurance..
tough lesson to learn. It had to have cost a small fortune .

Old June 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Last summer, through an online flash sale, I purchased a year of repatriation insurance for $8.00. I had to use it in March. Because this was a concierge like policy, I wonder if they way we were repatriated would have been the same as if we had used a policy like Tavel Guard, or the like.

Bruce flew home 1st class, with a nurse...her cost alone, was $9,000.00. We had door to door service. I wonder if there is a way to compare exactly what is done, if one needs to use the medivac or repatriation portion of say Travelex, Travel Guard, etc.

Does anyone know of someone who needed to be airlifted off a ship? I shudder to think how close we came to that possibility.
So I guess it was a good thing you had "Trip" insurance. I couldn't resist.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Mike.... You win the Shecky Award!

Last edited by Trip; June 9th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Last year, some friends of ours went on a cruise to Mexico. Soon after the couple got off the ship in Cabo the husband started having some weird chest pains. Thinking the worst, they immediately went back to the ship and saw the doctor on board. They were advised to see a doctor in port, which they did. The doctor in Cabo wasn't sure what was going on, as our friend is an 'older' man. He was worried the chest pains might be coming from his heart, but overall didn't think it was an emergency situation...but the ships doctor wasn't comfortable letting them stay on board and continuing the cruise just in case.

The crew was vey nice and helped them get their things off the ship. But there they were, stranded in Cabo. The wife rented a car (never did find out how she did that) and drove back to T.J then they drove into San Diego. The husband was fine...guess it was the heat after all. They had NO travel insurance, only their credit cards, which they pretty much maxed out.
It's a good thing they both speak beautiful perfect spanish. (Why didn't they fly home???? don't know) Expensive lesson.
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:04 AM
First Mate

I can't help but wonder what would happen if someone did not buy any type of insurance and did not have funds to cover an emergency?

My hubby and I have never bought any type of insurance (and thankfully never needed it), and I can tell you on at least one of our cruises we barely had enough saved to cover our expenses, let alone an emergency. If one of us had broken a leg or something do they just not treat you? Or bill you later?

After reading several threads about this, we are considering it for our upcoming cruise, that's for sure...

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDGodwin View Post
I can't help but wonder what would happen if someone did not buy any type of insurance and did not have funds to cover an emergency?

My hubby and I have never bought any type of insurance (and thankfully never needed it), and I can tell you on at least one of our cruises we barely had enough saved to cover our expenses, let alone an emergency. If one of us had broken a leg or something do they just not treat you? Or bill you later?

After reading several threads about this, we are considering it for our upcoming cruise, that's for sure...
Krista:

Do more than consider it. Buy it.

What would happen is that it would bankrupt someone or worse they could lose their lives. In many countries they are not "required" to treat you even though you can't pay. In the late 80's I was in Brasil and cut myself. The wound required stitching. I went to their ER and before they would even look at me I had to give them my credit card. I was young and never thought of travel insurance and just ate the charge. IRRC it was around $300 for six stitches. That didn't break the bank but I think what would have happened if it was something more serious. I was much younger then and didn't even think of travel insurance.

Also: Check what your own insurance covers. See if it will cover emergency medical and evacuation if you are out of the country. Most don't but more and more are starting to become International.

No matter what: Have insurance.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I think when people enter their pertinant info into sites like insuremytrip.com, they are surprised to see how reasonable coverage is. The ability to see side by side comparisons, makes it easier to see the benefits, and, make the correct choice for you.

One less excurison, or buying a few less pcitures, is probably equal, or close to, the cost of coverage. Another thing to consider is if you do have an injury/illness onboard, requiring you to go to the medical facility, the fee for that, will be taken right out of the credit card you use for your on board charges. Your balance can go to zero or minus, in a heartbeat.

Factor in this cost as part of your cruise fare, like a port charge...may be less painful that way.

Last edited by Trip; June 10th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Traveling/cruising without specific additional coverage is like gambling against the house, the odds are NOT in your favor.
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you have any onboard medical attention, they put the amount owed on your sign/sail card which will be charged to your credit card. You then have to send in your claim along with all the paperwork and charges. First you use your regular health care and what that doesn't cover, you file a claim with your travel insurance carrier.. Yes, this takes time, but with the added coverage, could save you a lot of heart ache and dollars...Always get the insurance, figure it as part of cruising or taking a vacation.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Familiar Face

This time I did use insuremytrip.com and it was cheaper than Carnival's insurance - would've been even cheaper if I didn't get a few extra coverage options, but even with those extras I still saved $30.
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

We always buy insurance within 24 hours of booking the cruise to insure that any pre-existing conditions with us or our relatives is covered. I have an olde sister with many health problems and if anything happened to her and I needed to care for her I want to be able to cancel. I know it adds cost to the trip but I like peace of mind.
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:25 AM
Admiral

We also have excellent health insurance that covers us anywhere in the world and coverd medical evacuations (since hubby travels for a living)...

We have done it both ways..... bought insurance and self insured.....and I always recommend to anyone that they buy insurance.

It is just like real life, if you can not afford to lose it, insure it or don't buy it.

Btw, Snoozeman has told me about some kind insurance that you purchase annually. Currently it is just the medical (I think)...which we do not need....but I believe he is getting qualified to handle the cancellation portion as well???

If that is the case, we will probably go the annual route since we cruise so much....AND are getting OLDER....aaauuughhhhh ......

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Familiar Face

It will save you a bundle of money when you stand on the dock and watch the boat sail away without you. Or you fall down the stairs. Or the Airline loses your suitcase (after charging you extra to check it) Or you have a Coronary and need shipped back to the states.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
It will save you a bundle of money when you stand on the dock and watch the boat sail away without you. Or you fall down the stairs. Or the Airline loses your suitcase (after charging you extra to check it) Or you have a Coronary and need shipped back to the states.

Amen...or one of the 9,000 reasons that I read about on Carnival's page every week.

There never seems to be a shortage of individuals who are furious at Carnival because the passenger elected not to buy insurance and then their MIL died or their grandfather was taken to the hospital or their husband lost their job or their husband GOT a new job and now can not sail...etc etc etc etc etc

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ask your travel agent for insurance. I know they have better policies for much less than the cruise line.
When I was young I rarely ever bothered with insurance. Now that I am older and my health is not as good as it once was I always get the insurance. So far I have never had to use it but it was worth the price gor the piece of mind.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Folks need to understand that it is just like car insurance and house insurance ....

you do not buy it because you expect to have to use it.....

you buy it just case you need it.